Automate Early Warning through Alert Notification
In this blog describes a simple approach to effective alerting, regardless of the scale of the systems involved. In short:
- Automated alerts are essential to monitoring. They allow you to spot problems in your tenant/infrastructure/applications without users logging in.
- It detects as Early Warning signs to act accordingly
- Alert/Notifications are received on the move to your mobile apps
What Is an Alert?
Alerts notify you of potential problems or conditions detected within your system. When a certain pre-defined threshold is met, an alert will generate a message and send it to a specified recipient. The content of an alert is also very limited, describing only the parts of the system that were affected by the failure.
Alerts contain a very limited amount of data, typically pertaining to the area(s) of the system affected by the alert at the time the alert occurred.
What Can I Monitor?
You can create alerts to monitor these below events/indicators on
- Unresponsive Server
- Maintenance Window down
- Pipeline Calculation Job Status ( Failed / Cancelled)
- Long Running Pipeline Calculation Job
- User Activities (Auditing)
- many more use cases
There are a lot of great solutions across all these different areas of monitoring, so it can be a minefield trying to work out which one is best for your team.
Scenario 1 :
If the tenant/database goes down, will have to be notified to customer/owner of the process as soon as possible. In this case, it creates an alert that looks for a large number of stack traces or exceptions in a short time
This could indicate anything from an offline server. send this alert to database admin.
(Example : This can be product upgrade or Weekly Maintenance window or any exception process through high volume of processing or others)
How Can I Receive Alerts?
You can receive alerts through PagerDuty, WhatsApp, Microsoft Team, Slack, or any web service via Webhooks.
Below is the initial concept of Architecture flow of Realtime Alerts and Monitoring and this can be extended to any Applications
How Does it Work?
When you create an alert, you specify a group of predefined notification services to deliver the alert. For example, you might create an alert on a notification group that consists of two e-mail addresses to user and one Slack Channel service. When the specified conditions for the alert triggers, the alert is sent to all services in the group.
How Do I Get Started?
To set up instance monitoring and create alerts (or edit existing alerts), perform the following tasks:
SAP Commission Tenant
- SAP Commission API Authentication User
- SAP Commission API Documentation
- Python /Java /Curl /Groovy env (Choose your familiar programming language anyone)
- Task Scheduler (Windows) Crontab (Linux) Choose anyone you like
- Incoming Webhooks (HTTP Method)
- Alert/Notification Platform ( Slack ,WhatsApp ,PagerDuty , Microsoft Teams, others)
Want to see Working use case ?
—- Reach me
Thanks, for reading it till the end. 🙏
Hope you find that helpful! Let me know your thoughts on this in the comments section.
Don’t forget to share this article with your friends or colleagues.
Feel free to connect with me on any of the platforms below! 🚀