SAP Data Warehouse Cloud: Capabilities of the ABAP-Adapter Connection to on-premises S/4HANA & ECC
SAP Data Warehouse Cloud is supporting the ABAP-Adapter to connect, access and replicate data from ABAP managed on-premises Systems.
In this Blog I’m focussing on the capabilities of the ABAP-Adapter in the context of a SAP S/4HANA on-premises system.
The ABAP-Adapter is capable to connect to the S/4HANA Data Dictionary and according objects and artefacts, like:
- ABAP Tables by Application Hierarchy
- ABAP Tables by table name
- SAPI (Service API)
The folder “ABAP Tables by table name” provides the access to the tables available within the SAP Data Dictinary, where you find all the technical tables you might be aware working on the SE11/SE16 Transaction from a ABAP perspective.
The sub-folders within the Extractor folder provides access to the ABAP_CDS View (here: S/4 HANA), the S/4 embedded BW objects and the SAPI folder contains the Service API’s structures.
It’s important to mention that the integration to the S/4HANA ABAP Dictionary objects & structures from a SAP Data Warehosue Cloud perspective can be seperated into
- federate access (remote): simply connect to the S/4HANA objects and trigger SAP Data Warehouse Cloud to create a remote table, integrate the remote table structure into a SAP Data Warehouse Cloud Model. No data management (extract & persist the data) is required on the SAP Data Warehouse Cloud side of the house. The Data Modeler / LOB User can focus on building data models to get their business problem solved. (CONNECT and not COLLECT)
- replicated (Refresh Frequency: none -> Snapshot): transistion data access from federated access (remote) into SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local data persistency/table, by executing a data load job to insert the dataset from the remote object into the SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local data persistency/table. It’s important to mention that the previously created models and stories in SAP Data Warehouse Cloud remain consistent / untouched, as we’re only working on the data access layer of the previously created remote tables (transistion the remote table acces into a local table access). It’s always possible to revert back to federate access (remote) without impacting the created models and stories in SAP Data Warehouse Cloud. (COLLECT and not CONNECT)
- replicated (Refresh Frequency: Real-time): in addition to the (Refresh Frequency: none), SAP Data Warehosue Cloud is also leveraging the technical services for some of the deployed S/4HANA ABAP Dictionary objects to enable Real-time data replication to SAP Data Warehouse Cloud local persistency/table. Real-time replication is enabled to support S/4HANA ABAP CDS-Views, SAPI’s hosting a Primary Key. It’s important to mention that the previously created models and stories in SAP Data Warehouse Cloud remain consistent / untouched, as we’re only working on the data access layer by transistion from the remote table & Snapshot table to Real-time data replication. It’s always possible to revert back to federate access (remote) or Snapshot without impacting the created models and stories in SAP Data Warehouse Cloud. (COLLECT and not CONNECT)