PHYSICAL INVENTORY in Embedded EWM
In this blog i would like to explain the process of Physical Inventory and its basic function .We will also discuss the configuration to be done for carrying out PI process.
- Physical Inventory is a process to count the actual shop floor quantity and compare with book entry quantity.
- This process may plan for year wise, continuous or product specific with pre-defined time periods.
- Physical Inventory process can be carried out for Un-restricted stock type, Quality stock, blocked stock.
- Physical Inventory Process can be carried out using two ways :-
- PRODUCT SPECIFIC PROCESS:-
This means wherever the product lies, it is applicable for physical count.
- STORAGE BIN SPECIFIC PROCESS:-
This means whatever the product in the storage bins; it is applicable for physical count.
- Physical Inventory Area and Activity Area will be in 1:1 ratio.
- DEFINE PHYSICAL INVENTORY AREA:-
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—physical Inventory Area specific settings—Define physical Inventory Area.
- Here we need to create separate physical Inventory area for separate Activity area. As PIA: AA is to be done in 1:1 ratio.
- Here select the IOWH-RK01 row and click on Permitted Documents
- Here we assign the product specific and storage bin specific procedures in terms of permitted document types.
- Similarly create separate PIA for every Activity Area. Below is the attached document for your reference.
PHYSICAL INVENTORY AREA CONTROL PARAMETERS:
- Putaway physical Inventory:
PI document generates at the time of first putaway in to a storage bin during fiscal year.
- Low stock check without Physical Inventory:
We check this Bar, then system will check the minimum value we maintain and if it’s below minimum value system will propose for PI.
- Low stock check without physical Inventory:
This Indicator is for alerting low stock check during fiscal year without creating a PI document.
- Posting after Count Entry:
This check box is for posting the PI document automatically after count with reference to assigned tolerance group, if the difference is below tolerance group system posts PI document automatically.
- Display Book quantity:
Here system displays the Inventory book qty, when the count results are entered. The display of the book Inventory qty enables to check the count quantity entered.
- Display item Object:
Indicates that object information is to be displayed as suggested (default) lines when a count result is entered for a location-specific (for example, storage- bin-specific) physical inventory.
Ex- HU 1 is storage at storage bin 01-01-01. HU 2 and HU 3 are packed in HU 1. HUs 2 and 3 each contain the product 4711.
Storage bin 01-01-01 —> HU 1
HU 1 —-> HU 2
HU 2 —-> Product 4711
HU 1 —-> HU 3
HU 3 —-> Product 4711
- HU complete:
If you set this indicator, a handling unit can be counted as “complete” at the time of count entry. That is to say, a counter accepts the complete hierarchy of a handling unit without counting any other HUs it might contain or all the products packed in the handling unit.
- HU Counting method:
It specifies whether counter want to count collectively the number of handling unit (HU) or the no of items inside a handling unit
- PERIODICITY OF STORAGE BIN CHECK:-
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—physical Inventory Area specific settings—Define physical Inventory Area—Periodicity of storage bin check.
- ASSIGN PHYSICAL INVENTORY AREA TO ACTIVITY AREA:
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Assign Physical Inventory Area to Activity Area.
- Here Assign the Activity area to physical Inventory Area.
- DEFINE NUMBER RANGE FOR PHYSICAL INVENTORY DOCUMENT:
Physical Inventory document number ranges are year specific. If maintain year “9999”, then no need to maintain during year ending activities.
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Define Number ranges for Physical Inventory documents.
- SPECIFY PHYSICAL INVENTORY SPECIFIC SETTINGS IN THE WAREHOUSE:
- In this area we maintain WH control parameters for each Warehouse.
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Specify physical Inventory specific settings in the Warehouse.
- DEFINE TOLERANCE GROUP FOR DIFFERENCE ANALYZER:
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Define Tolerance Group for difference Analyzer.
- DEFINE TOLERANCE GROUP FOR POSTING DIFFERENCE:
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Define Tolerance Group for Posting Difference.
- DEFINE TOLERANCE GROUP FOR RECOUNTING:
- Here you define physical inventory tolerance groups for the recount of a physical inventory document in a warehouse number, and assign value-based and quantity-based (percentage) tolerance values to these activities.
- If the difference exceeds tolerance limit, system automatically propose to recount. Result of recounting is to create a new PI document with deleting existing document.
PATH: Spro—Img—SCM EWM—EWM—Internal warehouse processes —physical Inventory—Warehouse number specific settings—Define Tolerance Group for Re-counting
TEST CASE -1
Now Once we maintained the Tolerance group (20%) , If there is any deviation of qty/Value more than tolerance limit , System will not post
CONFIGURATION NEED TO BE DONE:-
1.1 Define Tolerance group for Posting Differences:
1.2 Define Tolerance group for Differences Analyzer:
1.3 Assign User to Tolerance group for Recount /Clearing:
- Here we assign USER to Tolerance group.
- Create a Physical Inventory Document for carrying out the PI process
- We can create PI documents with reference to –Storage Bin, Product, Activity Area.
- Now we create PI Document
- Select the product row and click on SET FLAG.
- Once we create on SAVE , PI Document will be generated .
- Now once PI document is generated , we will now Process PI document.
- Maintain the Document no-8009, and click on Execute.
- Now select the entire row and click on COUNT.
- Enter USER who is going to generate the WO for Counting.
- Once we click on SAVE, PI status will be changed to COUNTED
- Once click on POST and again click on SAVE.
- Here Error message. will appear regarding Tolerance as shown below as we kept tolerance level up to 20%.
TEST CASE: 2
PHYSICAL INVENTORY DOCUMENT (ADHOC STORAGE BIN SPECIFIC)
CREATE PHYSICAL INVENTORY DOCUMENT:
- First we need to create a PI document.
- Transaction : /SCWM/PI_CREATE
- Before creating PI , ensure to fill PI procedure –HL
- HL-Ad-hoc PI (storage bin specific) , HS-Ad-hoc PI (Product specific)
- Now select the row and click on SET FLAG, Click on SAVE.
- PI Document is generated as shown below.
PROCESS PHYSICAL INVENTORY DOCUMENT:
- Once PI document is created ,process it through below transaction
- Transaction : /SCWM/PI_PROCESS
- Once we enter the PI document no -8010 and click on Execute
- Now click on COUNT.
- Enter the counter name, date &time.
- If RF device is using to process PI document, system adopt the counter details for resources.
- Once after enter the count, save the document. Status will be change to ‘COUNTER’.
- After it click on POST Difference.
- Here once we SAVE the document, then a Document will be created.
- Below it is shown Error ,as tolerance level is exceeded.
- Now again click on RECOUNT, to count the document again.
- Once Click on RECOUNT, existing document set to recounted &create a new PI document. As shown below.
- Now again we need to enter new PI doc. No &click on EXECUTE. As shown below.
- Enter counter name & date
- Click on COUNT & change the quantity.
- Now Click On SAVE & POST
- Once you SAVE it Status will change to POSTED.
Hope this blog helped you understand the basic function Physical inventory flow. Thanks for your time.
Hope you Enjoyed Reading the blog.
Great Article! Once question is a noticed you did not assign bins to your activity area - or define a sort sequence for the PI activity area. Can you pls confirm if these steps are not required?
These steps are definitely required.
Nice Explanation and Good document!!
This is really helpful.
Great document. Much appreciated your efforts to the EWM community.
I cannot preview the printing of my Physical Inventory Document.
How can I get the preview please.?
The guide is really good What am I supposed to do if I made a post for the count
but I have a mistake, how do I fix it?
for this you can use the correction function in the difference analyzer (which you have to allow upfront in customizing for the physical inventory area): https://help.sap.com/docs/SAP_S4HANA_ON-PREMISE/9832125c23154a179bfa1784cdc9577a/4cb4e7d24c1f1921e10000000a15822b.html?locale=en-US&version=2021.002
Aurobindo - great document to have. This will help the eWM community in wider range.
Good work and Thank you
Great Article it was really helpful, If possible can you let me know how to count special stock or for example subcontract stock provided to vendor.
It will be really helpful.