You notice a process communication error in a business document such as for example a Customer Invoice which is indicated by an exclamation mark in the Document Flow tab. Process Communication Errors which are resulting out of an Application Error a BTM (Business Task Management) Task is created. These Process Communication Errors are also visible in the Application and User Management work center and the Process Communication Error view under the Open Errors with Incidents. Here you will find the error that causes the Process Communication Message to fail.
Once you correct the respective issue you can restart the Process Communication Message in the User Interface.
We will use the example of a process communication error from the Sending Document Customer Invoice and the Receiving Document Customer Contract with the error: Operation not possible; business document locked
In this case the BTM Task with the following Task Subject is created: Solve Lock Issue in Customer Contract to Process Update from Customer Invoice.
For most process communication errors a Business Task (BTM Task) is created. This BTM task is then assigned to the responsible employee. In our example of a Customer Contract the BTM task is assigned to the Employee Responsible.
Please note that these Tasks are assigned to the responsible employee (in our example the Employee Responsible of the Contract). Should this Employee Responsible not have the respective access rights for the work center Application and User Management and the Process Communication Error view, you can find these BTM tasks in the work center Application and User Management and the Business Task Management view under the Unassigned Items. You can then assign them to a User who has sufficient access rights.
To restart the Process Communication Message in the User Interface please execute the following steps:
Please note that only the user to which these BTM tasks are assigned to can see these tasks.
- Go to the Application and User Management work center.
- Select the Process Communication Errors view.
- In the drop-down list select Open Errors with Tasks.
- Select the respective Task in our example with the subject: Solve Lock Issue in Customer Contract to Process Update from Customer Invoice.
- Click on the Task Details button.
- Click on the Details hyperlink under Related Document.
- You can see the respective error messages in the section Related Errors.
- In our example the error messages are as follows:
Operation not possible; business document locked
Operation not possible; document locked by XYZ (XYZ represents the user who locked the document at the time the process message was processed).
- You need to ensure that the Customer Contract in question is not being edited by user XYZ.
- Once the issues are resolved you can restart the process by clicking on the Action button and select the option Restart Process.
- Close the Task via the Save and Close button.
The message will then be restarted and can be delivered. The BTM task is then also completed.
In case the issue is not resolved please create a support incident with the details regarding the affected documents, the process communication error and the steps you took to resolve the issue.
Details required to create an incident for the respective area can be found in the Knowledge Base Article 2443337 – Information Required to Answer Your Question
This is also explained in the following Knowledge Base Article using a different example: 2834513 – How to Restart a Process Communication Message in the User Interface