Skip to Content
Technical Articles

IRPA – capturing an IFRAME

First I must say I am not a developer by origin. Usually I am an accountant always looking for process improvements in our department which brought me to SAP IRPA as it is not mandatory to have programming skills from my experience. However, a little affinity to IT topics and not being afraid of trying something new helps a lot.

During a current project I am working on I had the problem when capturing a web page there was an IFRAME included in that page. In the beginning the IFRAME was not fully or correctly recognized. The captured page disallowed me to do any interactions within the IFRAME.

From what I can see there are several other users facing the same or a similar issue which brought me to the idea of sharing my personal approach via this blog.

After trying several different techniques I found out that the IFRAME itself has got a complete different URL unlike the main frame I had captured in first place. So I captured the IFRAME as a seperate application with it’s own URL. This way within the workflow I was able to start this application seperately and to add interactions within the IFRAME. It wasn’t an IFRAME anymore as this being its own application with its own URL the IFRAME became a MAIN FRAME.

Hopefully my approach has become clear and will possibly help one or another user.

Thank you for reading and due to this being my first blog please feel free to leave a comment, share, give it a like or give suggestions for future improvements.

 

4 Comments
You must be Logged on to comment or reply to a post.
  • Hi Raphael,

    Thanks for sharing your experience.

    So did you run the two applications in one workflow?

    We have an application which has several iframes ( CRM UI)

    The main application is recognized but every other iframe shows a timeout. I have tried to create a

    separate application but this opens multiple windows. I have even tried to add every iframe as a page and run them one by one but still same issue. All my URL’s are part of the main URL , i think these are BSP.

    Please advice.

    Thanks

    Narayani

    • Hi Narayani,

      I am running the iframe application in a separate workflow which I however invoked in the main workflow. This way debugging is a lot easier and faster.

      Due to the iframe application being a separate application a new window is being opened. I don’t know any way how to avoid this. If working in a separate window/application doesn’t solve your problem, my guide won’t most likely help you.

      Kind regards,

      Raphael

  • Hi Raphael,

     

    Thank you for your response. I did try opening the iframe in a separate application but its still did not solve my problem. I am not sure if its the internet settings or the way the customer has designed their pages.

     

    I will keep at it. Thank you again.

     

    Kind Regards,

    Narayani