ABAP Platform Releases and Consumers
Last update: 2023-02
When talking to customers and partners about their on-premise SAP Business Suite 7 or SAP S/4HANA systems, an important aspect here is to have a quick overview of the release of the underlying ABAP application server.
Each SAP Suite system – precisely SAP Business Suite 7 and SAP S/4HANA – is installed together with its underlying ABAP platform which cannot be updated or upgraded independently of the above running Suite system.
Of course, the information about the underlying ABAP platform is available in the SAP Help Portal, the SAP Support Portal and in the system status of each ABAP-based system, but not always easily found by everyone.
This is the reason why I thought that providing a compact overview of the relation between the ABAP platform and the different Suite systems starting from SAP Business Suite 7 – with focus on its core component SAP ERP 6.0 – may be helpful. I have therefore compiled the information in the tables below.
SAP ERP 6.0 in SAP Business Suite 7
SAP ERP 6.0 is the core component of SAP Business Suite 7. Over the years, new capabilities have been delivered in SAP ERP 6.0 without disruption using SAP Enhancement Packages. The last SAP Enhancement Package, EHP 8, was delivered in 2016.
SAP S/4HANA, on-premise edition
All ABAP-based cloud products – such as SAP S/4HANA cloud edition and SAP BTP ABAP environment – run on ABAP Platform Cloud releases.
- ABAP Development Community Topic Page
- SAP Product Versions on SAP Support Portal (Login required)
- SAP NetWeaver 7.5 Maintenance Strategy
- ABAP Platform Strategy
- SAP NetWeaver AS for ABAP 7.50
- SAP NetWeaver AS for ABAP 7.51
- SAP NetWeaver AS for ABAP 7.52
- ABAP Platform 1809
- ABAP Platform 1909
- ABAP Platform 2020
- ABAP Platform 2021
- ABAP Platform 2022
- ABAP Platform Documentation on SAP Help Portal (latest)
- ABAP Keyword Documentation (Release-specific changes)
- SAP S/4HANA Cloud, Private Edition, and SAP S/4HANA | 2022 Product Launch
- Learn about ABAP Cloud
- ABAP Extensibility Guide
I hope this compact overview helps you further.
Stay safe and healthy!
Thanks for the overview.
with ERP 6.0 EHP 6: would you rather write ABAP Version 7.03 or 7.31 (since 7.31 is displayed for SAP_BASIS within the system) ?
thanks for your feedback.
Regarding your question, a littlle difference should be made here.
(1) SAP EHP 3 for SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.0 (or SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.03) is the official release name – even though it comprises the component SAP_BASIS 7.31 as you rightly mentioned.
(2) SAP EHP 1 for SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.3 (or SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.31) also comprises the component SAP_BASIS 7.31.
In my blog, I’m referring to (1) – i.e. release 7.03.
I’ll add a short note regarding the version of the SAP_BASIS component of release 7.03.
Hi Carine Tchoutouo Djomo,
do you plan an update for this blog?
I've updated the table.
wow, that was lightning fast!
Thanks a lot!
You're welcome 🙂
The landing page blog for ABAP Platform 2022 will be published soon.
Here are some interesting links in the meantime:
Thank you very much for these blog posts and for linking them all!
I think that's the 2022 one: https://blogs.sap.com/2022/11/30/abap-platform-for-sap-s-4hana-2022/
Just saw that the ABAP docu contains a table linking ABAP releases for the ABAP Platform that is used for the SAP S/4HANA on premise (OP) releases and the associated SAP kernel releases.