SAP FTP CONNECTION
I am writing this blog post for the FTP connection to the SAP ABAP system. While I was configuring the SAP FTP, I haven’t found complete information in a single blog post, So I am writing this blog post.
- FTP credentials.
- SAP GUI credentials with authorization.
- SAP OS access to check IP ports accessibility.
- Network basic understanding.
STEP TO CONFIGURE FTP FOR THE SAP ABAP SYSTEM.
- Check FTP server IP and network Port.
- Note down the FTP IP and port provided by FTP/OS team.
- Telnet FTP server IP on a specific port. The default port is 21.
- Telnet Syntax (Linux & windows): telnet <IP> <PORT>
- Check FTP is accessible from SAP system OS.
- telnet 22.214.171.124 21
- Make sure it will connect.
- Add FTP server entry in SAP Table.
- Maintain FTP entry in SAP table (SAPFTP_SERVERS_V) using tcode sm30
- SAPFTP_SERVER_V is a client dependent table. Add entry in those specific clients who are going to connect to FTP.
- Click on the Maintain button & click on the New Entries button.
- Add IP address, PORT and Description.
- After maintaining entry click on the save button.
- Test FTP connection using SAP standard Program.
- Execute SAP program rsftp002 using tcode SA38.
- Click on the execute button and enter details.
- I am using RFC “SAPFTPA” as FTP is only accessible from the SAP server.
- If the connection is not successful you get the error like below.
- or like below.
- If the connection is successful you will get the output like below.
All screenshots are captured by me.
- The above procedure will also work for the ABAP systems.
- Telnet is a very useful tool to check the service port and its accessibility from the target.
- Check on this link for more details about Telnet information
- SAPFTP_SERVERS_V Table is used to store the information about the allowed FTP server.
- Without entry in this table SAP will not able to establish the connection to the FTP server.
- If maintain * in this table all FTP servers will be accessible.
- FTP server by default runs on port 21, If the port is different so maintain that port in SAP_FTP_SERVER_V.
- Program RSFTP002 is used to test FTP connection and run execute FTP command.
- There are two RFC that we can use to access FTP.
- SAPFTP uses frontend/Local computer internet to access the FTP server.
- SAPFTPA uses backend/SAP server internet to access the FTP server.
Thank you !!!
Worked like a charm. Did struggle a bit to setup a FTP server on my own. The below link will help setup a an FTP server on Windows 10 and then connected from SAP.
Hwat are the potential business oppurtunities using this? can you please explain?
we have used this in two bussiness requirements.
POS to SAP invoice.
botree to SAP for sales.
Very good blog to understand the connectivity of FTP server. I have a requirement to get data from ftp but i am getting above highlighted error even after maintained IP and port in table ‘SAP_FTP_SERVER_V’. can you help.?
Passing correct User name , password , Host(only IP address ) and RFC designation to above standard program. still getting above error. Is it mandatory to populate command (Folder with filename) with folder details. requesting your help to resolve this error.
please let me know first, is standard program RSFTP002 for testing the connection and command working fine?
please test with both RFCs
Thank you for this information.
I have an issue related to uploading a file to external FTP. We have a program which is supposed upload a file to FTP. But when we try to execute the program in background (SAPFTPA) blank file is getting uploaded to the FTP. But when same program is executed in foreground (SAPFTP) file is getting uploaded with the data.
We are unable to find out the root cause as to why this is happening. Kindly let us know whether any other configuration is required other than the one that you have explained.
it seems your program is not able access the file while running in background.
please provide more info.
where is that file which you are uploading on your PC or Application server file system. or what is file location.
For background we are not storing the file anywhere. The data is getting filled in internal table of the program and then we are uploading the data to FTP in XLS format.
Also when we execute the same program in foreground, data is getting uploaded on FTP.
We have resolved the issue.
Could you please share the resolution steps?
What a great article.. this is really helpful.
Please continue your writing.
All the best.
I had to change an old FTP connection to a new one and this blog helped me discover why the new path, IP, user & pw didn't work. I was missing the entry of the new FTP in the view SAPFTP_SERVERS_V