1. General information about value mappings
Cross and not cross
Mappings work within a project cross-object. This means once you have edited mapping (e.g. for controlling area) for one object it is then already done and available for all other objects within this project.
Mappings do not work cross-project.
Currently (1909) there is no central mapping capabilities across different projects or across the different MC approaches (file, staging, direct transfer). Mappings can be exchanged via download/upload functionality which the approaches offer.
Where can I edit mapping?
Editing single value mapping entries is only possible in the Migration Cockpit (using the Fiori tile) in the section “Mapping tasks”.
In the SAP S/4HANA backend (logon using SAP GUI) you can enter the modelling environment – use transaction LTMOM.
In the folder of your migration objects (e.g. S4_CO_Activity_Type) you find a folder rules. Here, you can download and upload mapping for single objects or for all objects within this project.
There are different download possibilities:
- As XML or as ZIP
- Only the empty mapping template, documentation and signature
- Template plus value mappings:
- All mappings
- Only mappings which have been created automatically. This happens when you select data from the source system. The Migration Cockpit automatically creates mapping values 1:1 for each predefined mapping task, e.g. source value: KOSTL1, target value: KOSTL1.
- Only mapping which have been created or changed manually by a user.
- As soon as there are mapping values available the arrow gets a green bar in LTMOM (as shown in the screenshot above).
There are different upload possibilities:
- Replace all old mapping entries or let existing mapping values stay unchanged and upload only the new entries
- Set the uploaded entries automatically to status “confirmed” or keep them in status “to be confirmed”
In this place you can’t see the mapping values!
If you go to the folder rules which is on the same level as Migration Objects and you click on value mappings, you see all value mappings delivered for the respective scenario (e.g. migrating from an ERP source system).
If you click e.g. on rule MAP_LSTAR you see the mapping values for Activity Type mapping.
In LTMOM you can view single entries – but it is not possible to change single values in this place. This is because of technical reasons (LTMOM locking logic, update logic).
There are discussions to integrate the whole mapping topic including download/upload functionality in the Migration Cockpit (Fiori) in the future. Mapping is a run time topic (not a design time topic). So it would better fit in the Migration Cockpit which is the run time environment.
When can I edit mapping?
Once at least one instance of a migration object is migrated it is not possible any more in LTMOM to upload mappings for this object in order to avoid severe inconsistencies/damages.
There are discussions to offer more differentiated possibilities regarding the upload in the future.
Editing single value mappings in the Migration Cockpit (in Fiori) is possible at all times.
With 1909 there is no tracking or locking concept for mappings implemented. This topic is under discussion.
2. How can I create own value mappings (1909)?
You create value mappings using transaction LTMOM (Migration Object Modeler). Open your project, position the cursor on “rules”, right mouse-click: “create value mapping”.
Assign the value mapping to the field where you want to use it.
The automatic creation of value mapping proposals (1:1) is not yet realized for custom-own value mappings (in 1909), so some additional manual steps are necessary.
Before starting the selection in the Migration Cockpit (Fiori) from the source system, the Z value mapping must be created and uploaded manually.
- Download the “old” values from the source system for example into an excel.
- Create the mapping 1:1 (source value : target value).
- Upload it in LTMOM.
- In the MC you see now the mapping task marked as „done”.
Selection and following activities can now be processed as usual in the Migration Cockpit.