Batch management new logic from S/4 HANA 1809. Batch management indicator (Plant)
With the introduction SAP S/4HANA 1809, SAP provides a more flexible solution in batch management. A new feature has been introduced as a new field in material master, batch management required indicator(Plant).
Business can activate the batch management for materials (batch level = material) but deactivate the batch management at plant level. This functionality has outstretched the usage of batch management, with material being managed in batches in 1 plant and simultaneously it can be non batch managed in another plants. The ownership of using batch management now can be controlled from plants. Prior to S/4 HANA 1809, if a product is batch managed and level of activation is at material level, then all the plants were affected with this.
Sometimes business requires to keep batch managed product in Production plant but during Cross plant STOs to distribution plant, Batch should be switched off or should be switched on Selected plants. This feature gives a leverage to work with batch management in One plant and non batch management in another plant, so this switch is controlling at Plant level which earlier was unable prior to S/4 HANA 1809.
In below example,
- A product which is batch managed in Production plant 1000. The inventory will be at Plant+Sloc+Batch
- The 2 distribution plant operates with non batch managed enabled inventory( Inventory should be (Plant+Sloc only), so Stock transferred from production plant 1000, the distribution 1001 and 1003 plant should be able to keep stock without batch.
- However, You can keep stock at batch level for other distribution plant(1002), if they need to store it.
SAP has given a new field in material master to activate the batch management for the required plant only.
New configuration is provided to enable or disable this settings in OCHA. Batch level will activated at material level for the required plant, however if it required to deactivate the settings, selected plant can be deactivated so that inventory will not be at batch level.
Take a test.
Transfer a batch stock from MPRL plant (Batch Managed) to PL01( Non natch managed). However, Material is activated as batch managed.
Conduct Stock transfer between 2 plants either by STO or by 2 step stock transfer(303, 305).
Stock is transferred from MRPL to PL01 without batch.
This functionality will definitely enhance the business requirement to keep batch stock in one plant and without batch in another if multiple plants operate in stock transfer scenarios like production plant and distribution plants.
Integration with SAP EWM
- If customer plans to connect SAP EWM prior to 9.5 Version with SAP S/4 HANA 1809 or higher, please check SAP note
2749538 - SAP Extended Warehouse Management version 9.5 may have problems with batch management in SAP S/4HANA 1809 and higher.
- If customers use SAP Extended Warehouse Management 9.5 (>= SP02) and want to integrate it with SAP S/4HANA 1805 CE, 1809 OP, or later. Check below SAP note
2604990 - Batch on Material Level with Deactivated Batch Requirement for certain Plants for EWM 9.5 integrated with S/4HANA 1805 CE / 1809 OP and later
Thanks for going through the blog, do share your feedback or any correction in this regard.