Simplification with quality inspection in embedded Extended warehouse management (EWM) in S/4HANA 1909 release
Extended warehouse management (EWM) was embedded within S/4HANA in 1610 release, however it was not possible to use ‘Inspection types’ of QM (Quality management) module of S/4HANA core for the quality inspections with warehouse operations through EWM. Inspection rules had to be defined in EWM (T code : /SCWM/QRSETUP) for creation of ‘Inspection lot’ . The ‘Inspection type’ or Inspection rule’ determines how an inspection is to be carried out.
A typical inspection process with inbound delivery processing in EWM on goods receipt from a purchase order is shown in below image. Note that this process is applicable for embedded EWM 1909 release and also previous releases. Inspection process in decentralized EWM is also similar (with the exception that an inspection document is created in decentralized EWM prior to the creation of inspection lot in ERP).
With 1909 release , it is now possible in embedded EWM to create inspection lot with QM inspection type 01 , 04 , 08 , 09 as highlighted in below image without ‘Inspection rule’ set up in EWM. These inspection types are defined in S/4HANA core in IMG menu path SAP IMG->Quality management->Inspection lot creation->Maintain inspection type.
Inspection rule or inspection type controls how the inspections will be executed .We now have three options as configured through IMG menu path SAP IMG->SCM Extended warehouse management->Extended warehouse management->Cross process settings->Quality management->Basics and integration->Define and activate warehouse dependent IOTs and as shown in below image.
- Without inspection rule (introduced in 1909 release): ‘No inspection rule’ has to be set up in the above configuration for the warehouse and the material master has to be set up for ‘Inspection set up’ under ‘Quality management’ tab with relevant inspection type like 01 (for Goods receipt inspection for Purchase order).
2. From Material master: Material master in ERP (or S/4HANA core) needs to be set up as below with ‘Inspection type’ as 1701 (for goods receipt from purchase order).
It is very important to note that a inspection rule is still needed in EWM even if the material master is set up with inspection type 1701 as in above image, otherwise the below error appears.
3. From inspection rule: Inspection rule requires to be set up at /SCWM/QRSETUP for the corresponding material. Material master need not be updated for inspection in its QM view as the inspection will be controlled through the settings in inspection rule (which is a master data in EWM).
Also like to highlight that this control (whether ‘No inspection rule’ or ‘from material master’ or ‘ inspection rule’ ) of how inspection will be carried out is set at warehouse level . Hence it needs to be discussed and decided with business persons for the origin of inspection control parameters for the inspection of materials for the respective warehouse.
- From Material master : There may be warehouses running in both embedded EWM and Decentral EWM for the same plant and in this case business may prefer the settings for inspection to be maintained only in material master
- From Inspection rule : Business may prefer to control the inspection lot set up from a unique place i.e inspection rule (which also provides the option to combine the inspection set up of multiple materials through grouping with ‘quality inspection group’.
- No inspection rule (relevant only for embedded EWM) : Business prefers the inspection to be controlled through generic inspection type set up defined in QM module of S/4HANA core .
This blog is based on my personal observation and insights. Will appreciate your feedback / comments.
Hi Mrinal, very nice article.
Thanks and regards,
Thanks for this useful information :).
I tried to set-up this scenario in 1909 Embeded EWM - "without inspection rule". At the time of GR in EWM the inspection lot (017*) was created with origin 17 and type 01. The UD in QM also updated the posting changes in EWM. However, I am facing below error during GR update of the inbound delivery.
QM processing currently only possible for integrated warehouses
Message no. L9527
Tried to debug the queue processing and found that system is trying to create new internal inspection lot (010*) in HANA - QM and checking its type in table QALS table and failing it as the record is not found/updated in QALS table and showing this error. If we override this error the GR was posted for the delivery.
Have you/ anyone tried this scenario in 1909? I would appreciate any pointers / suggestions /solution on this issue.
Thanks and regards,
Testing & Screenshots in this blog are from embedded EWM in S/4HANA 1909 release. I did not face the issue in my testing as you encountered.
It appears from your error message that the issue is releated to decentralized warehouse setting.
My question is related to Stock-Transfer inspection. I have activated inspection type 08 in the receiving plant and perform the stock transfer in EWM storage location (both the plant under same company code). The observation is no 08 type inspection lot get generated. But when I am doing the same steps in IM storage location system is generating a 08 type inspection lot. After that I have also activated inspection type 01 and the observation is:
For stock transfer in IM Sloc => System is generating type 08 inspection lot (lot origin 08)
For stock transfer in EWM Sloc => System is generating type 01 inspection lot (lot origin 17)
So any idea why the system is behaving differently ? Ideally it should create a 08 type lot for EWM cases also.
I have created STO and could create inspection lot of type 08 automatically . Your STO is between 2 plants or between 2 storage location within same plant?
Refer my blogpost in link https://blogs.sap.com/2020/06/06/simplification-with-quality-inspection-in-embedded-extended-warehouse-management-ewm-in-s-4hana-1909-release-part-2/
When we work with No inspection rule setting, how is SAP picking up inspection type 01 with 17 even though this mapping is missing in setting (Quality Inspection->Inspection Lot Creation->Maintain Inspection Lot Origins and Assign Inspection Types)
Is it that irrespective of this setting, system looks for whether S.Loc is EWM managed and assigns the origin as 17 by default.
Is there any article about recurring inspection for embedded EWM?
Interesting!!! But I have a question. If you want to do 01 on an embedded, which settings do you need in EWM? Do you need Define and activate warehouse dependent IOTs ?
I did a quick test, but didn't get an inspection lot. I m not very knowledgable in QM....
Thanks Mrinal for the nice Blog.
I have tried the Inspection lot creation with Inspection type 01. The process was successful. I got the Inspection lot after the GR and performed the UD. However, the follow up action didn't happen. i.e the stock type didn't change from quality to Unrestricted or blocked based on UD.
No new task created for next action in EWM.
Can you please let me know, if any setting is missing from my side.