Simplification with quality inspection in embedded Extended warehouse management (EWM) in S/4HANA 1909 release
Extended warehouse management (EWM) was embedded within S/4HANA in 1610 release, however it was not possible to use ‘Inspection types’ of QM (Quality management) module of S/4HANA core for the quality inspections with warehouse operations through EWM. Inspection rules had to be defined in EWM (T code : /SCWM/QRSETUP) for creation of ‘Inspection lot’ . The ‘Inspection type’ or Inspection rule’ determines how an inspection is to be carried out.
A typical inspection process with inbound delivery processing in EWM on goods receipt from a purchase order is shown in below image. Note that this process is applicable for embedded EWM 1909 release and also previous releases. Inspection process in decentralized EWM is also similar (with the exception that an inspection document is created in decentralized EWM prior to the creation of inspection lot in ERP).
With 1909 release , it is now possible in embedded EWM to create inspection lot with QM inspection type 01 , 04 , 08 , 09 as highlighted in below image without ‘Inspection rule’ set up in EWM. These inspection types are defined in S/4HANA core in IMG menu path SAP IMG->Quality management->Inspection lot creation->Maintain inspection type.
Inspection rule or inspection type controls how the inspections will be executed .We now have three options as configured through IMG menu path SAP IMG->SCM Extended warehouse management->Extended warehouse management->Cross process settings->Quality management->Basics and integration->Define and activate warehouse dependent IOTs and as shown in below image.
- Without inspection rule (introduced in 1909 release): ‘No inspection rule’ has to be set up in the above configuration for the warehouse and the material master has to be set up for ‘Inspection set up’ under ‘Quality management’ tab with relevant inspection type like 01 (for Goods receipt inspection for Purchase order).
2. From Material master: Material master in ERP (or S/4HANA core) needs to be set up as below with ‘Inspection type’ as 1701 (for goods receipt from purchase order).
It is very important to note that a inspection rule is still needed in EWM even if the material master is set up with inspection type 1701 as in above image, otherwise the below error appears.
3. From inspection rule: Inspection rule requires to be set up at /SCWM/QRSETUP for the corresponding material. Material master need not be updated for inspection in its QM view as the inspection will be controlled through the settings in inspection rule (which is a master data in EWM).
Also like to highlight that this control (whether ‘No inspection rule’ or ‘from material master’ or ‘ inspection rule’ ) of how inspection will be carried out is set at warehouse level . Hence it needs to be discussed and decided with business persons for the origin of inspection control parameters for the inspection of materials for the respective warehouse.
- From Material master : There may be warehouses running in both embedded EWM and Decentral EWM for the same plant and in this case business may prefer the settings for inspection to be maintained only in material master
- From Inspection rule : Business may prefer to control the inspection lot set up from a unique place i.e inspection rule (which also provides the option to combine the inspection set up of multiple materials through grouping with ‘quality inspection group’.
- No inspection rule (relevant only for embedded EWM) : Business prefers the inspection to be controlled through generic inspection type set up defined in QM module of S/4HANA core .
This blog is based on my personal observation and insights. Will appreciate your feedback / comments.