In late 2019, we performed an upgrade of S/4HANA from 1809 to 1909 for a major international CPG client.
Here is a quick post to capture the Lessons Learned from technical perspective.
|#||Lessons Learned||When to Act?||Comments|
|1||Ensure to check compatibility of installed add-ons.||Before upgrade||
|2||Ensure to review and act on unused ABAP objects||Before upgrade||
|3||Refresh SAPUI5 Extended apps manifest.json files.||Before (& after)||
|4||Ensure to perform BASIS activities||Before upgrade||
|5||Avoid error on “objects found without delivery transport”.||During upgrade||
|6||Prevent Product Hierarchy data loss.||During upgrade|
Of course, this post is not a one-stop place for 1909 upgrade.
You still need to go through the standard documents and usual activities.
The main ones are:
- The S/4HANA 1909 Upgrade Guide itself.
- Use Simplification Item Catalog to identify, review and compare 1909 functionalities with respect to your current version.
- Use Maintenance Planner to generate the stack configuration file and download patches.
- 1909 Release Information Note 2769531.
- 1909 Release Restriction Note 2799003.
- S/4HANA compatible add-ons Note 2214409.
- 1909 compatible Partner Products Note 2834099.
Wish you all the very best for your S/4HANA and 1909 journey!