SAP S/4HANA Procurement – Can I integrate SAP SRM with an SAP S/4HANA system and what do I need to do?
I’m part of SAP S/4HANA Regional Implementation Group with a focus on procurement. We have been supporting several hundred customers on their journey to SAP S/4HANA. This allows us to get a good impression in the challenges customer face and topics which are important for them. This blog will give you an overview of the key SAP Notes you want to consider for your project. Please note the list of notes is not conclusive.
The questions of “Can I integrate SAP SRM with an SAP S/4HANA system?” is raised more often, with SAP S/4HANA Sourcing & Procurement becoming more mature and the end of the standard support for SAP SRM coming closer. The general answer is, YES, customer can run their SAP SRM system with an integration into SAP S/4HANA.
Does this mean all deployments of SAP SRM are supported with SAP S/4HANA?
NO, this high-level response is only valid for customers running SAP SRM on a separate server. Meaning SAP SRM was not installed as a One Client / Co-Deployment option. The Co-Deployment of SAP SRM as an AddOn to SAP ERP is not supported with SAP S/4HANA. This has been documented in
Customers with this setup will need to follow the information provided in:
- SAP Note – 2216943 – S4TC SRM_SERVER master check for S/4 system conversion checks and
- SAP Note – 2251946 – Informational note about migration of SAP SRM shopping carts to SAP S/4 HANA SSP
The last SAP Note provides information about the migration of SAP SRM Shopping Carts to SAP S/4HANA SSP (Self-Service Procurement). This SAP note includes a migration guide beside other technical information.
Where can I find information on the integrate SAP SRM with SAP S/4HANA?
The best way to understand the processes of transitioning from SAP ERP to SAP S/4HANA and connect it with your existing SAP SRM system is to start with the
This SAP Note is the central entry point for all then other notes related to this topic. One of the key notes is:
This SAP Note refers to a long list of SAP Notes with information on the supported functionality and the required configuration changes. The following is the list of SAP Notes required for the integration of SAP SRM with SAP S/4HANA:
- 2229738 – Interface note1: S4H Adaption in SRM – Configuration Changes
- 2633649 – Interface note1(cont.): S4H Adaption in SRM – Table entries BBP_FUNCTION_MAP
- 2229740 -Interface note2: S4H Adaption in SRM – New Domain, data elements, structures; Changes in existing structures
- 2229744 Interface note3: S4H Adaption in SRM – IDOC Change
- 2234467 – Interface Note 4: LOMA – Report to set the material length 40 in customizing V_TMCNV ( SRM )
- 2234062 – Imp Note 1: LOMA PO getlist changes for Invoice and GR creation in SRM (SRM with S4H integration)
- 2234164 – Imp Note 2: LOMA Requisition and reservation create changes
- 2234273 – Imp Note 3: LOMA acc,material read, inteprete SRM > S4H
- 2234274 – Imp Note 4: LOMA Tax relevant changes (SRM integration with S4H)
- 2234279 – Imp Note 5: LOMA Invoice read from backend (SRM > S4H)
- 2234317 – Imp Note 6: LOMA Inv items assignment for a PO (SRM –> S4H)
- 2234437 – Imp Note 7: LOMA Invoice processing, idoc invoice posting, invoice simulation
- 2234439 – Imp Note 8: LOMA Goods Movement idoc mapping changes
- 2234440 – Imp Note 9: LOMA – ECS PO transfer changes
- 2234462 – Imp Note 10: LOMA FI document read, product relevance check changes
- 2219958 – Imp Note 11: Plugin changes in S4H for SRM communication
- 2236410 – Imp. Note 12: LOMA – Material Replication changes
- 2254011 – Imp. Note 13: LOMA Idoc mapping issues – SRM_SERVER dependency on SRM_PLUS changes
- 2255708 – Idoc mapping issues – SRM_SERVER dependency on SRM_PLUS
- 2244550 – Unable to create backend purchase order for material which has length more than 18chars
The SAP Note includes a configuration guide as PDF document. This document includes configuration steps to update the system types to allow the configuration of the correct backend type in the IMG.
Please note that there is a difference between a deployment of SAP SRM and SAP SRM with PPS (Procurement for Public Sector). Customer with an SAP SRM PPS deployment should also check:
This SAP Note includes information about the supported SAP S/4HANA releases and restrictions. It refers to further SAP Notes, which you should be aware off:
- SAP Note – 2229738 – Interface note1: S4H Adaption in SRM – Configuration Changes
- SAP Note – 2323138 -SRM PPS -> S4H Integration Interface note1
- SAP Note – 2324382 -SRMPPS->S4H integration Implementation note (Commitment)
- SAP Note – 2717392 -PPS SRM : Dump on creation of Purchaser Order from Contract when backend is S4CORE
- SAP Note – 2316236 -PPS Integration with S/4H -MFLE
- SAP Note – 2342630 -PPS_S4_Integration_MPN
Which SAP SRM process may be impacted transitioning from SAP ERP to SAP S/4HANA?
This is an important question and customer should be aware of the changes which may be required with this transition. I mentioned that in general SAP SRM can be integrated with SAP S/4HANA and some may assume this means there is no impact.
SAP provides several applications as part of SAP SRM. This includes for example SUS (Supplier Self Services) and ROS (Registration of Suppliers).
The MM-SUS scenario is not supported with SAP S/4HANA. Customer will need to evaluate alternative scenarios. They could evaluate the option of SRM-SUS, which would be a temporary solution. SAP would suggest evaluating the usage of the Ariba Network, which is SAP’s strategic solution and supports the business process of Supplier Self Services.
The supplier replication with ROS is not supported. This means customer need to evaluate other options.
This is documented in SAP Note – -2474434 – S/4 HANA support in SRM-SUS and ROS
In this context it is important to mentioned, that there is an impact to SAP SLC (Supplier Lifecycle Management) as well. The Co-Deployment option is not supported and there is an impact to the way SAP SLC needs to be integrated into SAP S/4HANA.
- S4TWL – Supplier Distribution via MDG-S – SAP Note 2267719
- S4TWL – Dedicated SAP Supplier Lifecycle Management (SAP SLC) business processes – SAP Note 2271188
Where can I find further information?
SAP provides further information on dedicated Wiki’s and on SAP Help. Here is a list of additional links, which are useful to know:
- Overview of the SUS scenarios and interfaces used
- SAP SRM and ECC compatibility
- SAP SRM and Netweaver compatibility
- How to find SRM Installation and Upgrade Documentation
I hope the above summary of SAP Notes and links will give you a good start for your journey to SAP S/4HANA. Please note that you will need a S-User to access the SAP Notes and make sure you check the latest updates of the respective SAP notes.
Brought to you by the SAP S/4HANA RIG