We’ve Finished Our Renovations: Our New CI/CD Best Practices
As announced in my previous blog post, for the past few months, we’ve been busily reworking our guide on best practices for continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD) – and we’re proud to present you the results!
Depending on your level of expertise, you can now choose between two different guides:
- If you’re either new to CI/CD and want to get a basic understanding of it or want to refresh and deepen your knowledge, have a look at our Continuous Integration and Delivery Introduction Guide.
- If you want to learn how to apply CI/CD principles to your development with SAP technologies, our Continuous Integration and Delivery Best Practice Guide meets your needs.
For an overview of all solutions we provide for continuous integration and delivery, see SAP Solutions for Continuous Integration and Delivery.
Let’s have a closer look at our new guides:
Continuous Integration and Delivery Introduction Guide
This guide provides you with basic knowledge for setting up and implementing continuous integration and delivery processes. It gives an overview of the concepts and principles of CI/CD, explains both procedures and their relation, and helps you plan your own CI/CD process. The Continuous Integration and Delivery Introduction Guide consists of two parts: Basic Concepts and Principles helps you get to know the concepts and principles of continuous integration and delivery and Continuous Integration and Delivery Processes provides you with information about CI/CD processes and the actors involved.
Basic Concepts and Principles
- What Are Continuous Integration and Delivery? – Get an overview of the continuous integration and delivery concepts.
- Continuous Integration Pipelines – Learn about the principles that help you implement continuous integration.
Continuous Integration and Delivery Processes
- Continuous Integration and Delivery Process Flows – Get an overview of how CI/CD processes work.
- Actors in a CI/CD Process Flow – Get an overview of the actors involved in a basic CI/CD process flow and their interplay.
The Continuous Integration and Delivery Best Practices Guide
This guide provides procedures to implement continuous integration and delivery pipelines on any CI/CD stack and demonstrates how to apply the principles of CI/CD to SAP-specific technologies. It also consists of two main parts: Set Up Your Pipeline, which helps you implement your own CI/CD pipeline and Enhance Your Pipeline, which lets you extend your finished pipeline with additional features.
Set Up Your Pipeline
- Apply CI/CD to SAP Fiori Development on SAP Cloud Platform – Implement a CI/CD pipeline for the development of SAPUI5/SAP Fiori applications on SAP Cloud Platform in the Neo environment.
- Apply CI/CD to SAP Fiori Development on an SAP Fiori Front-End Server – Implement a CI/CD pipeline for the development of SAPUI5/SAP Fiori applications on an SAP Fiori front-end server.
- Apply CI/CD to SAP HANA Extended Application Services, Advanced Model Development – Implement a CI/CD pipeline for the development of SAP HANA extended application services, advanced model applications.
Enhance Your Pipeline
- Integrate SAP Cloud Platform Transport Management into Your CI/CD Pipeline – Add an enterprise-ready change and release management process to your CI/CD pipeline and enable the transport of cloud-based applications on SAP Cloud Platform.
- Integrate Change Request Management with SAP Solution Manager into Your CI/CD Pipeline – Add change management processes that are compliant with the Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL) to your CI/CD pipeline and facilitate the synchronization of changes made both on-premise and on SAP Cloud Platform.
We’ll constantly add new procedures to our guide – subscribe to our social media channels to stay up-to-date! You can find them on our Continuous Integration and Delivery by SAP overview page.
As for now, we’ve finished our renovation and content move, our links to the old Continuous Integration (CI) Best Practices are automatically redirected to the corresponding sections in our new guides, so don’t be surprised if you unexpectedly find yourself on the SAP Help Portal!
There are however two exceptions: Our two mobile scenarios, SAP Fiori Hybrid Apps with SAP Mobile Platform SDK and SAP Cloud Platform SDK for iOS, are still being revised. For the time being, they stay where they are – we’ll let you know once they’re finished and have moved, as well.
This is gold! THANK YOU!
Thank you, Alejandro Sensejl! I'm glad you like it!
is it possible to get access to the previous tutorials, or can I download them? I did some of them.
while the previous tutorials are not published anymore, you can still access the source documents on Github. This is much better and less complicated than it sounds, the markdown documents are usually nicely readable -- I guess some internal linking might fail, but all the information + images remain. You can browse the sources here
The CI Best Practices are stored in folders starting with ci-*, in each folder there should be a *.md file that can be read through the browser. Of course, you can also download or fork the content.
Please keep in mind that the content might be outdated and is not being updated anymore.
Thanks for your interest,
I am trying to deploy a "hdb" module type using Piper. Although I also have a "nodejs" module type, I am not being able to deploy the "hdb" module as it fails.
Below you can find the mta.yaml file. My project is public on https://github.com/chrisgonc/showcasehdi.git.
I followed the commands available on https://sap.github.io/jenkins-library/guidedtour/, which uses CF, so I believe this may not be the right configuration.
Question is: what is the content for the config.yml file for deploying HANA HDI databases?
description: HANA Showcase HDI
provider: Christiano Hage
- name: db
- name: hdi_db
- name: app
- name: app_api
- name: hdi_db
- name: db
- name: hdi_db
I would like to express my gratitude for your support. Thorsten was very kind and helped me to overcome one of the errors, and the project was successfully deployed in HANA Cloud ?
I was also able to do a simple deployment using Azure Devops thanks to your other article https://blogs.sap.com/2019/10/24/how-to-use-project-piper-docker-images-for-cicd-with-azure-devops/ which I recommend for everyone.
Again, many thanks for your valuable support!
You’re very welcome, Christiano Hage! Just let us know if there’s anything else we can support you with. ?