SAP MDG – Email to Recipient for Change Request Update
Table of Contents
- Introduction – The purpose of this document is to explain how to notify the respective user for Change request update via Email.
- Overview – In SAP MDG Change Request travel to the different level of approver in that system SAP provide a provision to update User (Requestor / Approver) for action or informative item.
- A CR reaches to Approver for action than an Email should be triggered to his work email ID so action can be taken with immediate effect.
- On final action (Approve/Reject /Revision) at ‘Change Request’ should be updated to CR-Creator (requestor).
- Solution To implement Email functionality, we need to follow 3 simple steps.
- Define ‘Service Name’ in MDG-Configuration.
- Mention Service Name in ‘Decision Table’(Rule Base Workflow).
- Handle Service in BADI and trigger Email Code.
Define ‘Service Name’ in MDG-Configuration: Goto MDGIMG(t-code) and Create New ’Service Name’.
Mention Service Name in ‘Decision Table’(Rule Base Workflow): Open Decision table of desired CR.
Handle Service in BADI and trigger Email Code.
BADI : USMD_SSW_SYSTEM_METHOD_CALLER
Method : IF_USMD_SSW_SYST_METHOD_CALLER~CALL_SYSTEM_METHOD
Its Importing parameter : IV_SERVICE_NAME
Whose value will be IV_SERVICE_NAME = ‘Z_EMAIL_SERVICE’.
If IV_SERVICE_NAME = ‘Z_EMAIL_SERVICE’ + Business Condition (if Any).
“ Email Function Module/Method.
Email can be checked in SOST t-Code
5. Conclusion: This process will activate email functionality and system will update Approver and Requestor on CR activity
Thanks for this wonderful article and very useful information, Saurabh !!
This approach is having some dis advantages that you need to configure service for every step and development & maintenance effort is more since user frequency ask to change trigger point of email. I would suggest to use extended email notification with little bit of custom logic by including changing trigger point dynamically/email content. and also extended email notification having more advantages like integration with UWL, grouping email by use cases, dynamic change of email content etc... for more information please some online documentation like
Thanks for your feedback, I would appreciate if you can elaborate your concern,
So far I get target point: Configure service & Maintenance. Please find my responses below
Lastly: Approach suggested by you is also the prefered method, but there can be another way too which may suit to requirement.
As I said, maintenance and development effort is high in your approach.
Extended email notification is a re-usable framework for all kind of application which is comes with out of box capability( dynamic subscription, interaction with devices, grouping email, dynamic email content, trigger point ). however i have seen one disadvantage with this. that is, it will not send email to the non dialogue task as out of box. How ever this can be achieved with Little of custom logic by re-implementing scenario handler. So for this is the best approach by comparing all other approach( BCS call using service configuration in RBW, sub-workflow ). thanks.
Could you please elaborate more on how to dynamically change the email content and recipient for each workitem using Extended mail notification framework? This concept is new to me and it would be helpful if you could share any link/guide document which contains these information.