Simplification Item Catalog, Simplification Item Check and SAP Readiness Check for SAP S/4HANA
As you know SAP S/4HANA 2021 was available at last year, so I, on behalf of the colleagues working on the topics, would like to share with you the applications to support SAP S/4HANA 2021. You may already know Maintenance Planner, Custom Code, Software Update Manager (SUM), so here I would like to focus on the applications related to the simplification items.
Simplification Item Catalog
It is a collection of simplification items, which are used to describe which incompatible or disruptive changes occur in SAP S/4HANA (on premise) compared to SAP ERP or to previous SAP S/4HANA.
Last year together with the SAP S/4HANA colleagues, we decided to move the content from wiki based to an online tool so that the SAP S/4HANA colleagues could maintain the information machine readable. Lots of feedbacks from the migration planning workshop provided by SAP Digital Business Services improved the tool and content significantly. Now it comes to a stage where you can access it as well.
In short the simplification item catalog is the central place for SAP to maintain simplification items; it is the central place for you to find the latest simplification items for SAP S/4HANA and SAP BW/4HANA and download the content.
How to access
Customers with a valid s-user can now see all released simplification items, like SAP S/4HANA 2021. The simplification items for SAP S/4HANA 2021 will be visible shortly together with SAP S/4HANA 2020.
You could search and filter the simplification items. You could download the content into a zip file in the list view as well. The zip file can be uploaded into the simplification item check, which will be explained later.
For one simplification item, there are:
- Business Impact Note: it describes how the item impacts the system and business processes
- Source Release and Target Release: they describe the basic relevance information; an item is relevant if the customer comes from the source release and goes to the target release maintained in the item
- Check: it offers the possibility to have more relevance information like table checks for certain content or activated business functions and some more; in addition if an item is relevant it offers the possibility to have consistency check classes that can check whether all prerequisite conditions are met in the system to ensure a correct conversion process
For example: the simplification item SI2: MasterData_BP.
If the customer had SAP ERP 6.0 and higher or SAP SFIN and higher are installed in his system and would like convert to SAP S/4HANA 1511 and higher, in addition if there was data in table KNA1 or LFA1 then it was relevant;
In case the item is relevant the consistency check would be performed by the class CLS4SIC_LO_MD_BP, which is delivered via SAP Note 2502552. The check report will call the class automatically and present the check results.
Simplification Item Check
When you worked for SAP S/4HANA 1511 or 1610 project, you must know the pre transition check (R_S4_PRE_TRANSITION_CHECKS from SAP Note 2182725). Now with SAP S/4HANA 1709, a new framework is available, we call it Simplification Item Check
- it is completely new re-designed based on the content in the Simplification Item Catalog
- it has two checks:
- relevancy check: as described above in the simplification item catalog, the calculation is based on source release, target release and relevance check section
- consistency check: by executing to get what customer needs to do before the conversion to bring the system in a consistent state
- it has the check framework and set of consistency check classes
- it can be executed standalone for both the relevancy and consistency check. In addition, it can also be executed by SAP Readiness Check and Software Update Manager (SUM)
- the result of the section Simplification Items in SAP Readiness Check comes from the relevancy check for SAP S/4HANA 1511, 1610, 1709 and higher release in the future
- the SUM executes both the relevancy and consistency check starting from SAP S/4HANA 1709. For old release SAP S/4HANA 1511 and 1610, the report R_S4_PRE_TRANSITION_CHECKS is still used.
How to access
When all prerequisite notes have been implemented successfully in the SAP ERP system, it can be started with the report /SDF/RC_START_CHECK
- The report can be executed in dialog mode or in a background job (under certain system conditions the check can take hours)
- It can also display the last check results
- It can also display all executed check results with log view
- By default it uses the SAPOSS connection to connect to the SAP support portal to fetch the latest simplification item content from the simplification item catalog,
- In addition, it provides the option to upload the content manually as well for the system does not have the connection to SAP support portal due to security reason. The selected radio button indicates which option is used.
- download the content as zip file from Simplification Item Catalog
- use the button “Upload Simplification Item Catalog”
For example: the same item SI2: MasterData_BP which has been shown in Simplification Item Catalog above, it is relevant for the below ERP system because there is data in LFA1. Such relevant information is present here. These relevant information is available in SAP Readiness Check as well if the simplification item check is executed by SAP Readiness Check.
SAP Readiness Check
The SAP Readiness Check for SAP S/4HANA is live since 29.05.2017. The landing page is https://help.sap.com/viewer/p/SAP_READINESS_CHECK. It summarizes the most important aspects of the conversion project in an easily consumable way. One aspect is the relevancy of simplification items.
How to access
SAP Readiness Check executes the simplification item check together with other checks and present the result in the new designed Simplification Items section, which was live on 14.05.2019.
- There is a general statistics information on top of the section
- Filter by the group directly in the page
- Clicking the item can navigate to Simplification Item Catalog
- Tooltip to indicate the detail relevancy information
For example: the same item SI2: MasterData_BP which has been shown in SAP Readiness Check above, it has the tooltip “item is relevant. Database table LFA1 based check passed”. And click the line item, the consistency result will show in left panel.
the relation of the three parts and SUM could be described with the following diagram.
The Simplification Item Catalog is the single source of truth for simplification items.
The Simplification Item Check performs the relevancy and consistency checks based on the content in the Simplification Item Catalog.
SAP Readiness Check triggers the Simplification Item Check together with other checks and present the results in one unique dashboard.
The Software Update Manager triggers the Simplification Item Check during the system conversion to make sure the system is in a consistent state before conversion.
With SAP Note 2502552, I get all TCI objects to perform the consistency check, how could I find which simplification items contain consistency check
Type “CLS4SIC_” in Check Identifier in Simplification Item Catalog, then you would find all items which contain consistency check
I use the custom code ATC check and get the custom code note, how could I find the related simplification items?
Type the note number in SAP Note in Simplification Item Catalog, then you would find the related items
ATC checks the inconsistency of the custom code via the Simplification database. I want to know which custom code related errors will be checked by ATC.
Is there a list of all relevant error types that ATC checks custom code? For example: Syntax error, DDIC inconsistency, BDC error, obsolete function module & obsolete custom code, etc.
Thanks & Regards,
For a high-level overview one can check this blog: https://blogs.sap.com/2017/02/15/sap-s4hana-system-conversion-custom-code-adaptation-process/
For a detailed list it is best to evaluate the S4HANA_READINESS check variant directly in ATC.
Can anyone confirm if SAP has stopped the option of executing SAP Readiness Check in Solution Manager from the release of SAP Readiness Check 2.0 ?
In SAP Readiness Check 1.0 we had two options :
For most of the cases (since SRC 1.0) I have been performing the checks on managed systems directly, but I don't see any option of performing this check from Solution manager since SRC 2.0
SAP Readiness Check 2.0 must be started directly "on the system you want the report for" (suggested to be production, or a recent copy of production). Details in note 2290622
SAP Readiness Check 1.0 had both the options – Execute (/SDF/RC_START_CHECK) from the system OR execute ( AGSRC_START_ANALYSIS) from solution manager.
You can see the report in older version of the note 2290622. Even Mahesh Sardesai has mentioned about it in his blog (Check Step 14)
I wonder why would SAP limit the flexibility to execute the check from Solution manager?
Solution Manager could be used for Readiness Check 1.0 but since Readiness Check 2.0 we can no longer use Solution Manager for Readiness Check and Readiness Check 1.0 procedure is stopped since last year.
It is recommended that you prepare report based on Readiness Check 2.0
Thanks Mahesh Sardesai
Many thanks for this blog.
Ich have a question.
I have imported all required s-notes, but when i run the report /SDF/RC_START_CHECK,then under "Target SAP S/4HANA Version"- there is no selection at all. This field is empty, there is nothing to choose from.
But if I run this report anyway(without making a selection), then I get this:
"Provide SAP S / 4HANA conversion target to run simplification item relevance check".
What is wrong here ?
There is an Strange issue happening with me as well, as in during the SI check executed manually by selecting the Target Version it shows no error in SI check, but when executed the same using SUM tool it capture the error.
When that particular error is checked into the system, all the changes are already in Place. I have raised this issue to SAP awaiting a response from there end.
Could you please check your message again? the right component is CA-TRS-PRCK and make sure the connection worked.
Our support colleagues will take your incident.
Which S/4HANA version you are?
Because this dropdown list adapted base on the system s/4HANA version, it only show the higher version of S/4HANA as targer version. THis also could be the reason.
If you are the low S/4HANA version or ERP system, could you please create a customer message for component CA-TRS-PRCK?
you can upload Simplification item Catalog from file. the file from the WEB URL: https://launchpad.support.sap.com/#/sic/