During implementation of SAP S4 HANA or ECC, it is common to transport customizing (aka configuration) and development objects from Development instance through Production.
It is required for functional and technical analysts to perform some transport related functions and know details about Transport Requests (TR) & Tasks. This blog will provide tips and tricks for analysts to perform those functions with minimal dependence on System administrator/Basis consultant.
- Functional and technical analysts understand SAP CTS (Change and Transport System)
- SAP S4 HANA or ECC on-premise or private cloud (HEC) in three or two-tier architecture (DevelopmentàQAàProduction or Dev/QAàProduction)
- Access to relevant transition codes (SE03, SE09, SE10, SE16N etc.) and necessary authorization for (authorization) objects, but not limited to:
- Configuration changes are captured in ‘customizing’ TRs, while development changes are captured in ‘workbench’ TRs. A few confguration activites (like substitution in Project System(PS)) are captured via ‘workbench’ requests too
- Terms ‘customizing’ and ‘confguration’ are used interchangeably
- Terms ‘IMG node’, ‘IMG activitiy’, and ‘configuration activity’ are used interchangeably
Following topics are covered
- Create New Task under TR
- Merge two TRs
- Transport Organizer Tool
Create New Task under TR
Access TR via transaction SE09. Select the TR and there are two ways to create new task:
-click on ‘add user’ button on application tool bar or in menu bar, go to ‘Request/Task’ and click ‘Create’
Enter the user id in the popup and continue to create task. User id can be different from the one assigned to parent TR.
Merge two TRs
In transaction SE09, access TR (to be merged), select and right click to access context-sensitive menu. In the menu, scroll down, if necessary, and select ‘merge requests’ option.
In the next screen, system may default same transport number for first (source) and second (target) requests. User may change the second request and continue.
First transport request is deleted and its task(s) with underlying objects are moved to second TR.
Order of the TRs is not important. If there are two TRs ‘A’ and ‘B’, user can merge ‘A’ with ‘B’ or vice versa.
Transport Organizer Tool
Run Transaction code SE03 or access the tool via transactions SE01 and SE09 as shown below:
In initial screen, select option ‘Find Objects in Requests/Tasks’ (highlighed in following screen):
For customizing (configuration) objects
In initial selection screen, select the one or multiple IMG nodes (activities) as shown:
After selection, please execute (F8). List of TRs associated with the IMG node(s) will be displayed:
Transport view will be the default and it will present overview of both TRs and Tasks therein.
Results can be viewed in two different views (transport view (default) and object view). User can switch between views as necessary.
For Development (workbench) objects (programs, function group, class, DDIC etc.)
In initial selection screen, instead of IMG activity, enter or select the objects for which TRs are to be reviewed as below:
Select the check box ‘Also search for subobjects’ to get all TRs that bear reference to selected objects. Then execute.
User will land in ‘Transport view’ with list of TRs (& tasks) matching selection criteria.
User can switch to ‘Object view’ by clicking namesake button in application tool bar & review details
Review TR and Task details with data browser (SE16N or SE16)
On certain occasions, it may be necessary to perform additional analysis on TRs and their Tasks. User may run SE16N to access transparent tables E070, E071 & related tables (E07*) to review details including for request metadata (timestamp, user id, and status).
- On status ‘Released’ : it is standard that Task will be released prior to release of parent TR. However, during client copy, TRs will be ‘released’ without ‘Task’ in release status.
- Transport organization tool contains other functionalities too. Analysts may review their utility for their respective projects and use with enough authorization.
Analysts will have better experience by putting above tools and tricks to good use in SAP CTS (Change and Transport System).