Dear SAP Friends,
Welcome to another interesting topic BRF+ (Business Rule Framework+).
In this blog will explain BRF+ and how to activate and maintain to get New Output Management.
BRF+ is part of SAP DSM (Decision service management) and it is not new functionality in SAP Its available from Classic ERP past 10 years. But doing output management via BRF+ is new in S/4 HANA from 1511 Version onwards.
Before knowing how output determination and management is done in S/4 HANA system using BRF+, we must know what is BRF+ and how it works
What is BRF+
BRF+ is an application programming interface (API) and user interface for defining and processing business rule. It allows us to model rules in an intuitive way and to reuse these rules in different applications.
Overview of BRF+
- BRF+ function provides an interface between a business rule modelled with BRF+ and an application using that rule. The BRF+ function serves as a container for the entire business logic of a rule.
- Rules are implemented as expressions which are assigned to a function. The rule input is known as context and the rule output is called result.
• Context and result consist of data object which is called decision table, structure, decision tree.
- BRF+ supports features such as simulation, trace, transport, XML export and import
- In order to use BRF+ with your SAP ECC system, your system must be on SAP NetWeaver 7.02 SP6 or above.
- With SAP S/4 HANA a new Output Management approach is in place. The complete configuration differs from the configuration that is used when output management is based on NAST (condition technique). The configuration is based on BRF+. In SAP S/4 HANA, the target architecture is based on Adobe Document Server and Adobe Forms only. For the form determination rules (along with other output parameters) BRF+ functionality is used.
**Output management based on NAST is not available for new documents in SD Billing from 1511 and is extended to sales order management from 1610. Similarly, output management using BRF+ is mandatory for a Purchase order from 1511
Conversion NAST to BRF+
- ECC to HANA for new Output there is no tools available at the moment
- When converting to HANA from ECC only New PO’s will be coming in BFR+ if activated
- In 1511 only Sales Invoice and PO and available
- When it comes to 1709 12+ XML Forms and added
In 1809 the number became 20+ and in 1909 the number has increased
Basis Team need to upload required XML Form into SAP
Then BRF+ need to be activated in Transaction BRF+ / BRF
And decision table need to maintain to get output
Limitation of BRF+
There is some limitation using BRF+:
- Idocs are not fully supported by the new output management. Their use is restricted to business applications that previously used NAST.
- Only output types which can be mapped 1:1 to the NAST-KSCHL can use IDoc.
- Only business partner-based communication is supported, but no communication to logical systems
- No ALE supports
In old NAST we need to maintain conditions and its complex
But in S/4 HANA its Simplified even Business Users can maintain Decision Table
Output parameter determination
Customizing Path: Cross-Application Components → Output Control → Define Business Rules for
Output Determination (or transaction OPD)
In order to switch from NAST to BRF+, we need to activate in IMG
- For Purchase orders, go to IMG → Integration with Other SAP Components → Business Network Integration → Integration with the Ariba Network Application-specific settings → Define Message Output Control → Method 2: Use SAP S/4HANA-Based Output Management → Activate or Deactivate SAP S/4HANA-Based Output Management
- For contracts and scheduling, agreements go to IMG → Cross-Application Components → Output Control → Manage Application Object Type Activation
- The new output management is not yet available for RFQ’s.
- For the output/transmission of your purchase orders with the new output management, you can use the Fiori app Print Scheduled Purchase Orders or the corresponding transaction ME9FF in the backend.
Conclusion of the Topic
- SAP S/4HANA output management is recommended but not mandatory
- The scope of SAP S/4HANA output management is not comparable with the scope of NAST
- Innovations will only be made in the new framework (SAP S/4HANA output management)
Please share, Like and Comment anything else you want to share or add points.
Thanks & Regards
SME – S/4 HANA Manufacturing & Procurement
SAP Ariba P2P