This article contains content that I had originally posted in SAP Customer Center of Excellence for Azure earlier this week. I received feedback it was a long read, so I have condensed it here to the point for a proposed multi-cloud capability model for SAPCloud Platform and Microsoft Azure.
On October 2019, SAP announced its partnership with Microsoft for Project Embrace which will help accelerate customer adoption of SAP S/4HANA and SAP Cloud Platform on Microsoft Azure.This announcement brings about the power of multi-cloud scenario and organizations will be then be interested to build capabilities areas.
Multi-cloud model consisting of SAP and Microsoft Cloud Services
Traditionally, the concept of SAP Customer Center of Expertise has always been on-premise centric point of view, but SAP now recognizes the growing reality of cloud deployment models which SAP terms as Hybrid Cloud and emerging trends in DevOps. Here I present an graphical overview of the solution capabilities for Microsoft Azure and SAP SaaS solutions and Cloud Platforms (self-explanatory I hope).
Figure 1: Overview of Microsoft Azure IaaS/PaaS and SAP SaaS/SAP Cloud PaaS. Source: Author
Capability Model for a Unified SAP Customer Center of Excellence for Azure
I would propose this new Unified SAP CCoE adopt the role of Broker Orchestrator & Integrator as part of a Digital IT Operating Model (credit: KPMG)
- Design Authority and Governance Owner
- Strong alignment and collaboration with business
- IT Strategy and Roadmap to support business needs and requirements
- Corporate standards for enterprise security and integration
- Legacy IT tasks are redundant (datacenter, legacy software)
- SaaS Application solutions provides opportunities for standardization and continuous innovation
- PaaS solutions provide opportunities for integration between system of record, system of differentiation and system of innovation using Gartner’s Bi-Modal IT concepts.
- New Skills and Role Required (blend of both SAP and Azure skills)
Figure 2: Overview of Unified SAP Customer CCoEA’s Capability Model. Source: Author
SAP and Azure Cloud Strategy
- Governance alignment with organization’s senior leadership stakeholder on its business strategy.
- Assess suitable maturity of cloud solutions for your organization (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS)
- Evaluate Opportunities and Risks for new solutions from SAP roadmaps and Azure updates.
- Develop business case criteria and overall strategy for SAP solutions (cloud or non-cloud) and Azure IaaS/PaaS to fulfil enterprise business needs and future innovation.
SAP Business, Application, Data, Development and Azure Platform Architecture
Business, Application, Data and Development Design
- Business process modelling and architecture models.
- Application/Solutions mapping to SAP solutions using S/4 Transformation Navigator and SAP Embrace with Azure market approved journey (pending release).
- Business/Application solution design of organization structure.
- Global, Regional, Country templates.
- Line of Businesses, Division or Corporate.
- Development architecture solution design and decision of coding tools (extensible to cloud native tools).
- Data architecture solution design and modelling.
- Master Data Governance.
- Operational Data Reporting: SAP Business Warehouse, Crystal Reports.
- Data Lake – structured data offloaded to a data lake using solutions.
- Integration architecture design using below services.
- SAP Cloud Platform PaaS services: SAP Cloud Integration, API Management, Integration Advisor, Smart Data Integration.
- Azure PaaS Services with SAP connectors: Azure Active Directory, SAP Logic Apps, Event Hub, Azure Data Factory.
- Use of Microservices like container orchestration like Azure Kubernetes
- SAP Cloud Platform on Azure (via Cloud Foundry) various microservices and integration services which are abstracted but still using Azure underlying services.
- Integration architecture design using below services.
- SAP NetWeaver/Basis, HANA Database and Any DB architecture solution design.
- Azure Infrastructure Design for SAP HANA workloads.
- Elasticity and Scalability Design for Azure.
- High Availability and Disaster Recovery for SAP on Azure IaaS components.
- SAP Application and User security.
- Azure Security for Platform (Single Sign-On, platform infrastructure, encryption).
Hybrid SAP and Azure Operations
- Hybrid operations for SAP NetWeaver/Basis on Azure IaaS.
- Business Process Monitoring, Batch Job scheduling.
- Application Monitoring.
- System and Technical Monitoring.
- SAP on Azure Landscape Management (use of Azure SAP LaMa connector).
Cloud Adoption and Transformation
- Quick prototyping and iteration of proof of concepts and/or proof of value pilots or minimum viable product (MVP).
- Practice Agile Scrum tools/methodologies for MVP; SAP Activate, or Azure DevOps for these quick wins.
- Design, develop and build high level multi-year transition and transformation roadmap for S/4HANA and Cloud Migration (assuming you have complex existing landscapes with intricate integration and custom development in place.
- Design, develop and build detailed program/project plans for either transition/transformation
- Manage Communication with Key Business and IT stakeholders through Organizational Change Management (OCM) initiatives.
For more details of the framework for SAP and Microsoft CoE concepts, and the rationale, please read SAP Customer Center of Excellence for Azure. There is also companion article on SAP Customer Center of Excellence for Azure: Govern, Design, Innovate & Build.
Or if you are just interested to find the learning and certification pathways, please read SAP Expert Role Guide to Microsoft Azure Skills and Certification.
Other Relevant Articles on SAP Technical Community
I blog this article to share information that is intended as a general resource and personal insights. Errors or omissions are not intentional. Products and services mentioned in this article are not endorsements. Opinions are my own and not the views of my employers (past, present or future) or any organization that I may be affiliated with. Your comments to my posts are your views.Content from third party websites, SAP and other sources reproduced in accordance with Fair Use criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research.