SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment – Release 1911
Another three months have passed since ABAP environment release 1908 was published. This means that it is time for the next chapter, release 1911! Following list provides a brief overview about newest features – for the full set of new features please refer to our official release notes.
Free Public Trial Offering
Since TechEd Las Vegas 2019, ABAP environment is part of the free SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry trial. You can try out newest features of the ABAP RESTful Programming Model using guided tutorials. More details about features and limitations can be found here.
- Release of Runtime Type Identification (RTTI) API
- Support of concurrent sessions via parallelization API
- Release of additional ABAP language library classes
- CDS views to read fixed values of customer-defined domains
- Possibility to call function modules dynamically and to use all dynamic variants of LOOP AT and READ TABLE
- Possibility to make input parameters in ABAP Managed Database Procedures (AMDP) optional
ABAP RESTful Programming Model
- Availability of the test double framework to mock business objects for testing
- Release of metadata extensions to extend behavior of CDS entities with customer-specific metadata using annotations
- Support for navigation to multiple entities in OData requests
- Possibility to temporarily store results of aggregations in a dynamic cache for performance improvements
- Possibility to integrate additional save and unmanaged save into managed business objects
- Support for virtual elements as part of CDS projection views
- Support of code folding for behavior definitions
ABAP Development Tools
- Support for favorite objects in the object tree
- Possibility to analyze and fix ATC issues displayed in the ATC Result Browser by applying quick fixes
- Support of new quick fixes (for transformation of ABAP SQL syntax and system fields)
- Feature to display local active results that are assigned to you in the ATC Problems view
- Support of saving data from the Data Preview tool as ABAP value statement text file to work with internal tables
- Possibility to use asterisk as wildcard when performing code completion in ABAP CDS DDL source code
- Support of changing the value of a variable while debugging AMDP
- Release of design-time APIs and a Fiori app to schedule Application Jobs
- Support of change documents via new API
- Enhancements to number range API supporting transport options
- Push developed objects to a Git repository via abapGit front end (Eclipse plugin)
- Git repository API allowing import of Software Components from Git
- Business Configuration API to write TABU entries to a transport request
- Fiori app to show log entries about changed Business Configuration data
It is now much easier to setup an ABAP environment system using a so-called recipe. This recipe provides guidance on all necessary steps to get started with a new system.
Technical Monitoring Cockpit
Technical Monitoring Cockpit now shows CPU and memory utilization peaks of the underlying SAP HANA database, in addition to table sizes. More details can be found in the documentation.
Finally, our tutorial catalogue has been further enhanced with guidance on how to implement a first scenario on the public trial:
Create an SAP Cloud Platform ABAP Environment Trial User
Develop a Fiori App Using the ABAP RESTful Programming Model (Managed Scenario)
Please also refer to our new Trial Learning Journey.
Hey Florian, thanks for the great read!
Unfortunately the tutorial “Develop a Fiori App Using the ABAP RESTful Programming Model (Managed Scenario)” does not show how to develop a Fiori app but rather only uses the preview mode.
Is it possible to provide a real end-to-end tutorial how to create a Fiori app based on ABAP RESTful Programming Model which can be used by endusers?
following tutorial describes the whole process from connecting your ABAP system to WebIDE, creating an HTML module to deploying it to Cloud Foundry: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-deploy-cf-production.html
Unfortunately the Fiori app to schedule Application Jobs is not working in our environment (not the trial version). We get the message “Nicht berechtigt” when trying to create a new application job. The user has assigned all possible roles that are available at the system. The authorization trace does not show any entry.
Could you please name the design-time APIs for application job scheduling?
A class needs to be implemented for the business logic of the job with these two interfaces:
And a (console) application is required to create the respective design-time artefacts via cl_apj_dt_create_content.
We plan to provide a programming example in the official documentation by December 6th. If you need a draft version of this documentation earlier, please send me a mail (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Is it also possible to plan / execute an application job right out of my source code (e.g. a class)?
Documentation is now available here: https://help.sap.com/viewer/65de2977205c403bbc107264b8eccf4b/Cloud/en-US/4bb8593c8473433b94a1a2c8666bd608.html
seems broken / not existing, but I could find the same with an example for ADT (my version 2005) abap console
the OWN business logic has to be added in the METHOD if_apj_rt_exec_object~execute after where the example retrieves the parameters/value pairs.
I have to hand them over to wichever own class logic runs afterwards.
” Implement the job execution
Currently, scheduling a job is only supported via the Fiori app. It is on our roadmap, to release an API for the same. It is planned for the May release 2020 - this reflects the current state of planning and may be changed without further notice.
Could you please help me with my query on link https://answers.sap.com/questions/12943336/development-in-sap-cloud-foundary-platform.html related to development on sap cloud platform. One more query is we don't have create_stream/get_stream method from Odata service in Cloud. Then the question is how to handle attachments?
Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Could you please help with accessing the ABAP Trial on SAP Clout Platform?
I have a trial user and when going through
then the ABAP trial tile is not shown. Has it been removed?
Thanks for any help,
please ignore my above question, problem is solved.
great to hear that! 🙂
If you have further issues or questions, please let me know.