Data Migration in SAP S/4 HANA
This blog post will describe about Data Migration process in S/4 HANA. I prepared the step by step guide and publishing it for consultant, this blog post will help others to understand the concept.
Customers implementing S/4 HANA are always looking for a comprehensive data migration solution. This solution provides the tools which are necessary for migrating both master and transnational data from any SAP or non-SAP system to an S/4 HANA system. It does not require any additional licenses. This solution is designed and developed for S/4 HANA new implementation projects only.
Goal of Data Migration:
The goal of a data migration project is not simply to move and transform data from one system/format to another; it is to ensure that the moved data is of high quality, is fit-for-use, and supports the underlying business processes and operational goals of the organization !
What is Data Migration :
Data Migration is the process of transferring data between computer storage types or file formats.It is a key consideration for any system implementation , upgrade or consolidation.
“Data migration is usually performed pro-grammatically to achieve an automated migration, freeing up human resources from tedious tasks.”
SAP S/4 HANA helps the organizations to reduce their functioning IT costs by streamlining their IT landscapes. However, the requirements of every organization may differ. It is essential for an organization to execute an appropriate data migration strategy to speed up their drive towards SAP S/4 HANA in a profitable way. It would be a challenging task to transfer the data into SAP S/4 HANA, and therefore it is required to have a verified data migration technique. The organization ought to perform data evaluation in their current framework during the planning stage to make a move towards the SAP S/4 HANA, with the goal that they can determine how to move, utilize and maintain data. With the assistance of robust data management approach integrated with the planning phase, it is possible for the companies to bring down the risk, keep administrative consistency and to increase the ROI on their migration to SAP S/4 HANA.
SAP S/4 HANA Migration Requirement :-
- Migrate data from non-SAP systems to SAP S/4 HANA and from SAP systems to SAP S/4 HANA.
- Provide a comprehensive migration solution with no programming required by the customer.
- Map data structures between source and target systems.
- Easily integrate custom objects.
- Reduces test effort.
- Minimize the downtime.
- Make the migration solution audible.
Key Points to be considered at the time of DATA MIGRATION :-
- The standards for the data quality, data mapping, and data conversion should be defined.
- Recognize the key data stakeholders and their participation through the course of the data migration project.
- A tool required to mechanize the execution of mapping of data, data transformation, and data quality responsibilities in an organized and successive manner.
- The initial data migration planning and cleaning, errands should be carried out. The data utilized in the target system, the data uniqueness and the business procedure that it supports, quality of the transferred data which focuses on the four essential factors, i.e. comprehensiveness, consistency, compliance, and conformity.
- Accomplish the clear data standards and guidelines during the time of data entry in the system.
- To identify the issues with the data in setting up monitoring and reporting and then taking the necessary action for data remediation.
Overview of ETL , BODS , BDC and LSMW :-
ETL : Extract , Transform and Load
SAP HANA ETL based replication uses SAP Data Services to migrate data from SAP or non-SAP source system to target HANA database. BODS system is an ETL tool used to extract, transform and load data from source system to target system.
It enables to read the business data at Application layer. You need to define data flows in Data Services, scheduling a replication job and defining source and target system in data store in Data Services designer.
BODS ( Business Object Data Services ) :
It is an ETL tool currently acquired by SAP used for integration with all types of
disparate systems, extracting data from them, transforming them into meaningful information and loading them into all types of systems.
It is tightly integrated with SAP systems and
hence really a good tool to migrate data
from legacy systems to SAP systems with
ease and less development efforts with effective
debugging and monitoring capabilities.
BDC ( Batch Data Conversion ) :
This is another method of data migration in SAP, in which data is transferred using the batch input program and can be executed using a call transaction method or a session method. It helps to transfer a large amount of data entries related to the data entries from a legacy system to an SAP system. It works by automating the process of manual data transfer.
In this method, only the data which relate to a single transaction is transferred initially with the help of a correct data format. It automatically moves all the outstanding data entries that run in various lines using the same data format. This entire process happens in the background and the data are transferred one by one as similar to the manual process. In this method, the data is transferred from legacy system to SAP system but not from the SAP system to a legacy system. There are two methods of batch data conversion one is call transaction method, and another is the batch input session method.
LSMW (Legacy System Migration Workbench) :
LSMW is a tool that supports the transfer of data from non-SAP systems (“Legacy Systems”) to SAP R/3 systems. This can be a one-time transfer as well as a periodic one. LSMW also supports conversion of data of the legacy system in a numerous way.
SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit – Preconfigured migration content :-
It is an innovative migration tool for SAP S/4HANA. Initially, it was obtainable for cloud release only, however, now it is offered for on-premise version as well since 1610. The migration object modeler supplements this tool which is a planned tool for improvements and modifications of already defined migration objects.
- Pre-configured content and mapping for each migration object, e.g. G/L open items.
- Predefined templates (Microsoft Excel XML files) for each object.
- Automated mapping between template and target structure.
- Migration programs are automatically generated – no programming required by the customer.
- Available for private and public cloud and on-premise.
SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit :
Migration Objects and Template for Customer or BP :
Migration Objects and Template for Material :
Steps to create and upload the file :
- Open the transaction LTMC.
- Create the project.
- Name your project.
- Mass Transaction Id : system will automatically populate it but it can changed if needed. It is very important key when you transfer any data from Quality system to production system. This key should be identical in both the system if any content are getting transferred from Quality to Production system.
- Transfer Option : 1. File 2. Staging : This was introduced in 1709.
- Data Retention time : System will keep the upload files for the number of days which we mention here and after that system will clear the files. For Example : If we mentioned retention time as 15 days then system will keep the upload files till 15 days and then it will be cleared.
- Choose the migration object for example material , customer as per your need. Object will be assigned to the project which we created in 1st step. SAP provided few preconfigured objects.
- Download the template and fill the data. Data is mandatory in the workbook (tab) which is highlighted with yellow color in the template.
- Upload the template which you crated.
- Once the file is uploaded then click on Activate.
- Click on start button to start the transfer process.
Configuration Step : 1
Configuration Step : 2
Configuration Step : 3
Configuration Step : 4
Configuration Step : 5
Configuration Step : 6
Configuration Step : 7
Configuration Step : 8
Execution Flow :
Material Created Successfully :
Migration Object Modeler ( LTMOM ):
This is another tool which is provided in an on-premise version only. For the description of the migration objects, this tool can be observed as a design-time tool. It has improved skills which are building up each time and depends on the SAP S/4HANA edition.
▶ Migration object modeler is part of the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit design functionality to easily integrate custom objects and enhancements Integration of newly created objects.
▶ Custom objects.
▶ SAP standard objects that are not yet in the scope of the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit Customer-specific enhancements (e.g. add new fields) to SAP standard objects delivered with the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit available for on-premise.
▶To start the migration object modeler, use transaction LTMOM.
▶To run the necessary transaction your user needs the following role: SAP_CA_DMC_MC_DEVELOPER.
Rules of Migration Object Modeler:
Rules can be used to change the values that are migrated from source fields to target fields. The different supported rules are :
field-based rules, event-based rules, and internal rules.
Field-based rules: can be used to change the value of a target field during the migration.
Event-based rules: custom coding can be inserted at predefined points of processing an event (for example at Start of Loop or Start of Record).
Internal rules: can be called by field-based rules or event based rules. This allows you to separate code into different modules, which can then also be shared by other field based rules or event-based rules.
Additional Functionality :
SAP Pre Configured Options:
There are SAP predefined options given : “ Not Visible “ , “ Visible “ and “ Required “. It can be set for any of the field as per the requirement.
About Source Structure :
Under Source Structures, you can adjust the source structure so that your data can be transferred to the SAP S/4HANA system.
About Target Structure :
Under Target Structures, you can get an overview of the target structures associated with the migration object Structures can be single fields, multiple fields, or tables.
About Structure Mapping:
Under Structure Mapping, you can check how the source structure is mapped to the corresponding target structure.
As a prerequisite, the source structure must be mapped to a target structure before you can map the fields of the source to the target structure (see Field Mapping).
About Field Mapping:
Under Field Mapping, you can map fields from the source structure to fields in the target structure.
Simply drag the relevant field from the right-hand side to the target structure field on the left-hand side.If a field from a source structure has been mapped to a target field, the system displays a green icon, and a red icon if it has not been mapped.
About Transaction Objects:
A translation object defines how values from a specific field in the source system must be translated to target values during the data migration. There are objects, for example profit centers, company codes, and country keys that have identifiers in the source system that do not correspond to the identifiers in SAP S/4 HANA.
The following values from the Country field in the source
system must be translated to different target values:
Germany à DE
United Kingdom à UK
America à US
In this case, you create a translation object called Country, and assign it to a field-based rule or an internal rule and assign the rule to the corresponding target field.
How to change the Template:
Updated Template : Customer
Data migration in a SAP S/4HANA couple of imperative focuses should be considered. It is also required to realize that how you can increase the value of your SAP S/4HANA by impacting the data which is a crucial step in the digital travel. Well, there are different tools which are available for data migration. The usage of these tools makes the data migration process more comfortable. These tools are considered as a ready to use solutions which saves a lot of time for data migration.
Related Link :