Business owners who just started their business often ask the question of whether they need website maintenance. I say you do because without it the website may not work properly. These days are different we face cybercriminals, Malware spreading, constant upgrades on tightening security. Your website needs all of that and without it, your business may lag behind your competitor. For this reason, website maintenance is very important for any business.
What website maintenance does for your business?
All website owners agree on the fact that content should be the top priority. Website maintenance helps you to expand your content strategy. It will review each page to make sure that the content is accurate. A well-maintained website attracts new customers and maintains the interest level of existing customers. Website maintenance always checks for contact forms, address phone number listings are updated and are correct. Website maintenance activities need to cover essential business areas. The key areas that website maintenance primarily look after are content production, quality control check, monitoring issues and regulating comments etc. Many people have questions about why website maintenance is important. I have listed a few points below that can help everyone understand why it is important.
Below are the reasons why website maintenance is important:-
- A poorly maintained website affects your brand, as it projects your brand on the web. If people are unable to find social media pages of your brand linked with the website they may bounce. People do not want to deal with websites that look unprofessional. A website maintenance tool can help you take care of the problems as such. It also helps your blog to retain value over the period of time.
- Poorly maintained website will result in poor search rankings, SEO and content play an important to factor in website ranking however, a website’s security, performance, and design play a major role too. Responsiveness and mobile-friendliness are equally important as not many people are using PCs to browse the web. Hence it is very crucial to make your website handheld devices friendly.
- The slow loading speed will cause your visitor to bounce unless you are Google or Apple. According to a recent study, 50% of visitors are likely to bounce if the website takes 5 sec to load. Website maintenance helps you manage the clutter that causes this type of issue. The slow loading speed can be due to very large images, videos, server issues, outdated plugins and sometimes inefficient coding. These issues are to be addressed in website maintenance.
- Insufficient security can lead to data theft or a complete shutdown in case of malware or ransomware attack. Small businesses should look at security as insurance as it will help them to counter increasing cyber threats that can cause reputation damage and financial harm. Data loss, identity theft are some of the biggest concerns in this digital period.
- It helps to achieve better user experience, better user experience can help businesses retain customers, add new subscribers and turn them into loyal customers. Although Small businesses can get inspired from tried and tested practices but they should test user experience best practices with their audiences to evaluate better. A website maintenance tool can help you achieve a better user experience for your customers that will eventually lead to generating more sales.
As cyberthreat grows, there will be a rise to strengthen the website security for small business owners. Some security measures are being implemented like obtaining an HTTPS certificate, as in 2016 Google announced that the website not having HTTPS certification is termed untrustworthy. Small businesses should also invest in improved user experience to increase conversion rates. Hence having a website maintenance tool is an important investment that can help the businesses keep pace.