We all know BEx queries have been the traditional Sap BW reporting method to analyze the dataset of the BI system. Info Objects are combined in a query and data is evaluated in a tabular report.
Now Enterprise Reporting can be taken to the next level with the advent of Fiori and SAP UI5. Here are a few points why you should consider creating a custom SAPUI5 app to analyse BI data.
- Single query can yield multiple reports
- Attractive graphical representations of BI data
- On the go slicing and dicing and much more…
Steps to consume Bex queries in Fiori Analytical applications
- Create an ODATA compatible BEx Query.
- Activate ODATA service for the Query. This ODATA service will expose the BI data.
- Develop a custom UI5 app consuming query ODATA Service
And the final output will look something like this :
First chart represents Preventive Maintenance Count by District.
Second chart represents PM Count ACTUAL and PLAN values with respect to district.
Step 1 : Create ODATA compatible BEx Query
There are a few points to remember when creating a query in query designer with the motive of generating an ODATA for the same
- Key Figures can go only in the columns section.
- Characteristics have to be in rows section.
- At least one characteristic in rows.
- No additional structures are allowed.
- To keep it simple, we are not going to add any filters in query level, rather implement all filter related details (like filter defaults, select options etc) at the app level
– To get the above output, we need to create a query ZFIORI_SAMPLE with
- PM Count in Column
- District and Value Type in Rows
and then save the query as seen below.
- Now go to extended tab of query and select By OData option and hit SAVE again. You can see a message that Gateway service has been generated.
- Now change the technical name of PM Count and save.
Step 2 : Activate ODATA service for Query ZFIORI_SAMPLE
- Login to SAP GUI and go to tcode /n/iwfnd/maint_service and Follow the instructions as seen in the screenshots.
- Now to see the metadata, replace ?$format=xml with $metadata
Query ODATA Service is ready to be consumed in Fiori App!
Step 3: Develop Custom SAPUI5 app in WebIDE
This step is explained in detail in my next blog post-