Freedom of Internet of Things
The SAP interoperability alliances with Microsoft and AWS give businesses the freedom to move, grow, and evolve along their IoT journeys.
“Oh give me land, lots of land, and the starry skies above, don’t fence me in.”
From the song “Don’t Fence Me In” by Cole Porter
Cole Porter originally wrote this timeless classic as an homage to the magic and freedom of the Wild West. But it could have been written just as easily for today’s CEOs and CIOs as they set out on the journey to the Internet of Things (IoT).
IoT is opening the door to a powerful set of business opportunities. Yet managers face a dilemma. In a hyper-changing world, will today’s IoT investment make sense six months from now? Will today’s IoT choices create lock-in tomorrow? Or is there a way to start the IoT journey now and let it evolve over time?
If you’re building your IoT future on SAP Leonardo IoT, the answer is yes.
Interoperability: freedom out of the box
The SAP approach to interoperability ensures that IoT sensors and SAP enterprise software work and play well together. To achieve that, SAP Leonardo IoT gives businesses full integration with both Amazon AWS and Microsoft Azure IoT straight out of the box.
For the first time, businesses can adopt IoT in manageable steps today, and take transformational action tomorrow. It’s a rock-solid path for exploring IoT in a straightforward way with less risk:
IoT Cloud-to-Cloud Interoperability. SAP Leonardo IoT connects with both the AWS IoT Core and Azure IoT Hub via simple configuration. Businesses can collect telemetry data almost anywhere on earth using the connectivity and device management vendor of their choice.
Driving deep value. SAP Leonardo IoT captures time series data and enriches it with business meaning and context. Now it becomes a powerful business intelligence tool for everyday customer scenarios and business processes. It can also provide situational awareness and drive productivity across business processes in SAP ERP, SAP S/4HANA, or SAP Digital Supply Chain.
IoT Edge Interoperability. Business don’t have to give up the safety and familiarity of the SAP backbone when they venture out to the edge. Today, SAP business processes will run natively on the SAP IoT Edge R or on Microsoft Azure Edge. This always-on capability lets businesses take their SAP solutions to the front lines where they actually operate.
Automatically triggering a service call from the edge. SAP Leonardo IoT interoperability is already on the ground and in the cloud–delivering real value across the entire IoT landscape.
Thanks to proven integration scenarios with SAP C/4HANA Field Service Management, for example, businesses can already automate service calls from the edge.
Consider the following scenario:
- An equipment service provider runs SAP C/4HANA Field Service Management (FSM) to manage its customers’ equipment repair and maintenance needs.
- Customers operating the equipment can define streaming rules using the Hyperscalers IoT Edge. This allows them to detect anomalies in the equipment’s IoT sensor data.
- Once the anomaly event is raised at a customer site, SAP Essential Business Functions service, running on the Hyperscaler Edge, automatically triggers a service call to SAP C/4HANA Field Service Management. And it does so independently, using always-on connectivity, bandwidth, and latency.
- The service call trigger is enriched with both IoT data from the Hyperscaler Edge and business context from SAP. This enables the dispatching agent to quickly assign the service call to the right service technician. Now teams can fix an issue in a single visit for greater customer satisfaction.
Intelligence. Sans frontières.
Interoperability scenarios like these let people share valuable data across organizational boundaries. It lets them optimize business outcomes. This unlocks value to create a completely new set of benefits and capabilities:
- Flexibility. Customers are able to use SAP Leonardo IoT Edge to process business transactions locally–right next to the actual data source. This anytime-anywhere approach gives businesses a low-cost, low-risk way to explore the full IoT opportunity. At the same time, it reduces dependency on latency, bandwidth, and connectivity.
- Freedom. By collaborating with both AWS and Microsoft, SAP customers can shift and grow their IoT footprint on demand.
- Deeper insight. SAP Leonardo IoT transforms raw sensor data into high-value information. The IoT Cloud to Cloud Interoperability, for example, lets businesses seamlessly relay IoT telemetry data back into SAP Leonardo IoT. This, in turn, delivers deeper, richer, data-driven context and insight. It’s exactly what managers need to truly see what’s happening in day-to-day business operations.
License to fly
IoT technologies have the potential to reinvent products, create new services, and transform entire industries. Thanks to SAP interoperability, businesses can start to reap the benefits of IoT now–and make the most of every future opportunity.