Event Information

“Unconference” Meetups Coming to SAP TechEd Barcelona

At SAP TechEd in Las Vegas, we gave attendees the opportunity to set up “unconference” meetups in the Community Lounge — and we plan to do the same in Barcelona.

What’s an unconference? I’m glad you asked! An unconference allows you to talk about just any topic that appeals to you — with people who also find that topic interesting. In the case of the Community Lounge unconference meetups, you pick a date and time during SAP TechEd Barcelona (October 8, 9, or 10) and choose a topic, and if that slot is free (and the topic is appropriate), we’ll put you on the schedule.

What’s an appropriate topic? I’m glad you have so many questions! (Inquisitive minds are perfect for unconferences.) Well…just about anything within reason. Check out this post about the Vegas unconferences — so you can see some of the topics that were covered (and you can learn a bit more about the unconference concept).

Each unconference meetup lasts 30 minutes at a table that can accommodate about a half-dozen people — although if more people show up, and they don’t mind standing, that’s fine too. That’s what’s great about unconferences: they’re an informal way for people to connect and chat about the things that matter to them.

I’ll be at the meetup desk in Barcelona, so if you want to schedule something, come by the Community Lounge (found in the Developer Garage section of the show floor) and see me. Once you secure your slot, I’ll put your unconference into the agenda builder (as a meetup session) for SAP TechEd Barcelona, so other people can see when your meetup will occur (and stop by to talk to you). To access the agenda builder, go to the SAP TechEd Barcelona site and select “My Agenda” from the “Learn” dropdown menu. You can also find the meetup sessions via the SAP TechEd mobile app.

In addition, I hope to have a nifty whiteboard at the desk in Barcelona — so I can write down the upcoming sessions for all attendees to see. Just check out the cool one that my colleague Audrey Stevenson maintained in Vegas. I’d like one too…even though my penmanship ain’t so great.

Finally, I’ll maintain the schedule in this blog post. In fact, let’s get things started before Barcelona. Have an idea for an unconference meetup? Then leave a comment to this blog post proposing a topic, date, and time. You can also follow me, I’ll follow you back, and we can discuss your proposal via direct messages.

Day One Time Slot  Meetup Lounge 4 Meetup Lounge 5 Meetup Lounge 6 Meetup Lounge 7
Tuesday, October 8 11:30

Scaling SAP CPI to Run Your Mission-Critical Integrations

Daniel Graversen

Tuesday, October 8 16:30
Tuesday, October 8 17:00
Tuesday, October 8 17:30
Tuesday, October 8 18:00

Day Two Time Slot  Meetup Lounge 4 Meetup Lounge 5 Meetup Lounge 6 Meetup Lounge 7
Wednesday, October 9 9:30

Anne Johnson

Wednesday, October 9 13:00
Wednesday, October 9 13:30

SAP Community open source projects

Morten Wittrock

Wednesday, October 9 14:00

Fundamental Libraries: Fiori 3 Applications in “Native” Angular, React, or Vue.js

Mladen Droshev

Wednesday, October 9 14:30

Next-Level IT – How IT Can Help to Transform Your Company

Oliver Gutzeit

Wednesday, October 9 15:00

Building a Local SAP Community in Barcelona

David Ruiz Badia

Wednesday, October 9 15:30
Wednesday, October 9 16:00

Set Talent into Motion with Emotion — Meetup Following Community Talk

Dominik Ley

Wednesday, October 9 16:30

SAP HANA Maintenance/ Lifecycle / Upgrade from SAP HANA 1.0 to 2.0 and How to Optimize It

Jens Gleichmann

What Can SAP and Their Customers Do to Keep the Core Clean?

Peter Langner

Wednesday, October 9 17:00

Clean Code / Clean ABAP

Johann Fößleitner

Christian Punz

Day Three Time Slot  Meetup Lounge 4 Meetup Lounge 5 Meetup Lounge 6 Meetup Lounge 7
Thursday, October 10 9:30

Let‘s Talk Climate Science to End Climate Silence

Bärbel Winkler

Thursday, October 10 10:00

Open forum to discuss SAP Community with the head of the community

Craig Cmehil

Thursday, October 10 14:30

SAP Cloud Platform Extension Factory

Ina Ivanova

Digital Heroes Are Everywhere

Vanessa Frank

Thursday, October 10 15:00

What’s Your Favorite Scary Movie?

Jerry Janda

Thursday, October 10 15:30
Thursday, October 10 16:00
Thursday, October 10 16:30
Thursday, October 10 17:00
Thursday, October 10 17:30
Thursday, October 10 18:00

I’m looking forward to seeing you in Barcelona — and helping you participate in the unconferences. Not registered for SAP TechEd yet? There’s still time!

• yeah, unconferencing 😉

I have two ideas/suggestions:

1. UI5 tooling custom middleware + tasks: how to best join efforts in the community to have a central repository/”place” for a list of all available extensions. Probably even w/ participation from the masters of desasters such as Margot Wollny  Peter Muessig Matthias Osswald Merlin Beutlberger 🙂
    2. CAP,  UI5 and Node.js in the wild – options to utilize this excellent toolset outside of CF, e.g. how to handle Authorizations, DB != HANA + sqlite, …
    • Both of these are sessions I would join, to get valuable insights to how people are doing stuff outside of Web IDE! I’ve been in a black hole for the last year, and there are so many things I would love to get up to speed on.

By the way Volker Buzek, thank you for the tips on Slack, that has put my attention towards Jenkins and project Piper. If I see that someone is planning to discuss the usage of that, I would probably hover in from the side like a little ghost, and hope that I won’t make a fool out of myself. 🙃

• I know you’ve got your hands full with some Community Talks, but feel free to propose some unconferences too if your schedule permits!

• If it’s allowed to bring up subject were I don’t have extensive knowledge, but rather something I would like to learn about, I would really like to schedule an unconference to talk about developer workflows outside SAP Web IDE. Tooling, automation, etc. Like the mentioned Jenkins pipelines and Project Piper, git strategies, QA strategies, etc.

Another area that I’m really interested in, is working with hybrid landscapes, using SAP Cloud Platform to extend ECC or S/4HANA on-premise. This is an area in its infancy in Norway, and I’m really curious to hear about experiences others have had on this.

EDIT: Jerry Janda, I have one more. “How to live stream a community event, for greater reach”.

Thursday after 12:00 is wide open for me, except Volker Buzeks CAP session at 13:00. If someone wants to talk with me about the subjects, I would happily take three spots. 😀

How about the following:

“Developer workflows outside SAP Web IDE”  – Thursday 12:00.

“Working with hybrid landscapes, extending on-premise ECC or S/4HANA with SAP Cloud Platform” – Thursday 14:00

“How to live stream a community event, for greater reach” – Thursday 15:00

• Hi, Ronnie:

For now, I’m limiting meetups to two suggestions per person…just to make sure the schedule is open enough to allow other people to make proposals. So I ask that you please pick the two sessions that interest you most and let me know which I should schedule. If you could also give a bit more detail about the sessions — as I have to enter abstracts for each (up to 500 characters) in the agenda tool — I’d appreciate it. Feel free to message me that information (if you’d rather not post it all here).

After I enter the first two, I recommend that you and I connect on Tuesday. If at that point, it looks as though the calendar remains wide open, then I’d be happy to schedule as many other additional sessions as you wish.

Thanks!

–Jerry

• Then lets focus on the one session were I have something to bring to the table. 😊

“How to live stream a community event, to reach a bigger audience” – Thursday 12:00:

How we can use live streaming as a way to reach more people with our SAP Community events. Share experience on hardware and software options, and what services we can use.

• OK, I scheduled that, but do feel free to stop by during the week to talk about scheduling other meetups if you want!

–Jerry

• Awesome.. here we go:

Wednesday 10 am I would take a slot and exchange the thought how to interact with and in the community when having not that much time because of family or workload. So what makes it worth to still invest some time here and what are the benefits for all sides.

And if there is still time afterwards I can talk a little about how I handle it.

• Done! I had to come up with a title for the meetup, so I took a stab based on your description. If you don’t like it, please let me know. I can change to something else.

Thanks!

• I am looking forward to meeting you and all the community members next week in Barcelona!

Please, I want to suggest a meetup for Tuesday (08.10) at 15:00 with this proposed topic: “How to organize a new SAP Inside Track event if you never did it before”.

I like this topic because I did it last year when I was living in Brazil and it was an amazing experience, with lots of learnings and I think it was deeply enjoyed by the local community. I hope this is a worthwhile topic that can plant the seeds for future community events.

• Hi Jerry Janda

Here my proposal for Wednesday Oct 9, 15:00h

Interested to build SAP Barcelona local community? Would like to participate to run periodically meetings like SAP Stammtisch or SAP meetups?  That kind of meetings are probably the most informal option for an SAP Community meeting. You can also call it a “regulars’ table” or an ad-hoc meeting. It is an informal coming together to talk about SAP-related topics Usually happen in a smaller environment and are casual and unprepared. They can take place in a restaurant, pub, beer garden or any other meeting space. Can be started easily after work, by SAP Community members living or working in the same region, colleagues internally or temporary project members, or even better: a mix of all of these. 🙂

Also what is discussed at these meetings will help to define next SAP Inside Track Barcelona event.

So we invite you to engage with us!

• Hi Jerry Janda

Here is my proposal for Tuesday and / or Wednesday around 14:30h:

Next-Level IT – How IT Can Help to Transform Your Company

Your company needs you in IT to help overcome the challenges of the digital transformation. Let’s discuss any interesting programs your IT organization has in progress to help your colleagues change their mind-set. We will share what we in SAP IT are doing to prepare ourselves for the intelligent enterprise. Change your thinking – not things. Hear about our digital hero program, our IT showrooms for SAP colleagues, and more. Share your thoughts and let us elevate IT to the next level – together.

Kind Regards,

Oliver

• Hi Jerry! Great initiative! I am giving a Community Talk on Wednesday, 9th of October, 15:15-15:45 with the name ‘Set talent into motion with emotion’ (it is roughly about Mindfulness and Emotional Intelligence). Do you think it is suitable to offer an unconference afterwards (16:00 or so) so it would be possible to have a chat with people how are interested in deepen in the topic after the talk? What do you think about the idea? Perhaps I am not the first one to think about a chat after a talk, am I?

Best regards,

Dominik

• Hi, Dominik:

I like the idea, but I believe that the Community Theater (where these talks take place) has a space next to it where speakers can continue the conversation with attendees afterwards. Mynyna Chau, do I have that right?

–Jerry

• The theater 3 where Community Talks take place is right in the Community lounge and I’m not sure if there will be a special seating or table area to continue conversations after the talk next to the theater but we had several speakers who scheduled a meet-up in Vegas additionally to their talk, too. I would propose to save some time after your talk, Dominik, just to have time for follow up questions. But I would recommend to schedule a meet up where interested people could join, that haven’t necessarily listened to your talk.

• Hi Jerry,

I’ll propose the following sessions.

Tuesday 8, 16:00

Scaling SAP CPI to run your mission-critical integrations

A conversation about the different ways people are using SAP CPI and how do you make sure governance, operations, and monitoring is correct.

Wednesday 9, 11.00

Title: How to run Groovy scripts faster for SAP CPI integration

Description: How is it possible to run Groovy scripts easier when making SAP CPI integrations. In the session, we will look at how you can use open-source tools to deploy scripts directly from your IDE.

• Hi Jerry.

I would like to propose the following session for Thursday at 11:00 :

ABAP SDK for IBM Watson – an Open Source Project

Description: Learn about release of SDK that enables easy use of IBM Watson Developer services from ABAP, SDK created for ABAP open source community.

Thanks!