In this blog post, I would like to share my views on how we can streamline conversion of SAP ECC PLM system to SAP S/4 HANA PLM.
To minimize the surprises during conversion following checklist should be followed
SAP Simplification List
Simplification list is a good starting point to understand the changes which we can expect while converting the system from SAP ECC to SAP S/4 HANA. It provides details on functionalities which are changed or are no longer available in SAP S/4 HANA system. The simplification list can be accessed using the below link
We must ensure that the business is made aware of the functionalities which have been made redundant in SAP S/4 HANA PLM by taking them through each item listed in Simplification List.
Check the Business functions
Make sure you have check all the Business functions in SAP ECC PLM system which are switched On/Off, with the Business Functions which are permanently On in SAP S/4 HANA.
Business Process Impacts
In my experience I have seen business process impacts in the following areas which must be taken into account and tested thoroughly after conversion
- Changes in Specification Search: Classification Tab is no longer available in the UI, Need to use Multi Property Tab to perform search for VATs.
- Label Search: Doesn’t have Label language and Validity details ( Rating and Validity Area)
Efficient Data Entry Screen
- The Fast Entry Screen is no longer available in SAP S/4 HANA PLM. Refer to SAP Note 2212999 for more details.
Access Control Management
- Currently the ACM is applicable for Recipe, Specification, Document and BoM. The ACM is no longer available for Change Numbers. Refer to SAP note 2601548 for more details.
Activation of Material Ledger
- In new SAP S/4 HANA solution, the Material Leger is the basis for material inventory valuation.
- Even though activation of Material Ledger is now mandatory, activation of Actual Costing is still optional.
- We need to activate the ML and not activate the Actual Costing.
Key Date functionality
- In S/4 HANA 1709, we have Badi implementation – /PLMB/RCP_CPA_KEY_DATE_ADJ_ON ( Badi name – /PLMB/EX_PLMWUI_PARAM_VALUES) to activate this configuration by default. This BADI was de-activated.
Following SAP Notes should be checked to understand the changes in Key Date functionality in Recipe.
- 2286066 – (Key date for reading the used specifications in the recipe)
- 2332439 (Automatic adjustment of key date in calculation parameter when displaying recipe
- 2345031 (Automatic adjustment of key date in calculation parameter when displaying recipe II)
Keep a Count of Table entries before and after Conversion
- Though SUM tool takes care of all the table entries and provides the count before and after conversion.
- It is advisable to take a quick check on count of the important tables in PLM before and after conversion.
Deletion of Z-services in SICF after conversion of system
- System conversion procedure using SUM tool was found to delete some Z services in SICF without any error or warning messages in the logs.
- Report RS_ICF_SERV_ADMIN_TASKS to be used to identify the deleted services after DMO run and transport them from a pre-conversion reference system
I hope that the article provides helpful pointers to the SAP PLM functional consultants in their conversion Projects. Please feel free to provide me with your comments/suggestion to improve this blog post.
Thanks – Sammar