SAP S/4HANA Data Migration Cockpit
Hi 🙂 ,
Welcome to Migration cockpit World…
After huge success of SAP Data Services, SAP introduces another good product for data migration called- Migration Cockpit(MC).
Data migration is a process of transforming data from heterogeneous systems to heterogeneous targets with lots of information.
Data Migration is one of the keys and complex areas in an SAP implementation project.
So the Data Migration process includes:
- Extraction of data from the source system
- Transformation of the data to SAP format
- Loading of data into the corresponding SAP module
In a new implementation of SAP S/4HANA system, data is migrated from the SAP system/Non-SAP system to SAP S/4HANA system.
SAP S/4HANA provides comprehensive migration solutions with no programming requirement by the customer, automated mapping of data between source and target system, predefined templates, easily integrated custom objects, reduce test effort and minimize downtime.
Following are different options available for data migration in SAP S/4HANA on-premises:
- SAP DATA Services (SAP DS)
- SAP Rapid Data Migration Content
- SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit with Migration object modeler
- SAP Data Services:
SAP DS is an ETL tool from SAP, which was a huge success for Dataware house and data migration which follows the methodology as E-T-L (Extraction, Transformation, and Load). It also provides data quality management and text data processing. The ETL capabilities of the tool can be used free of charge, but the data quality features require a Data Services license.
- SAP Rapid Data Migration:
The rapid data migration to SAP S/4HANA solution enables you to realize the full benefits of our next-generation business suite even faster. It accelerates the process of cleansing, validating, transforming, and migrating your data from any system to SAP S/4HANA.
- SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit(MC):
Here we will discuss data migration in SAP S/4HANA system using Migration Cockpit and create a sample business partner-Supplier.
- SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit is an automated migration tool provided with preconfigured content and mapping for each migration object. For all major functional areas like a business partner, product, customer, bank, profit center, cost center, plant, GL, etc.
- Migration objects are predefined and their sequence and dependency are also defined. Each migration object contains its own predefined template in which source data is uploaded. Automatic mapping is done in source and target structures using the template. Migration programs are automatically generated for validating data, simulating data and loading into the target system
Key Features of Migration Cockpit:
- This tool is embedded and delivered with SAP S/4HANA system
- No programming is required by the customer
- This tool is used to migrate data from SAP or Non SAP system to SAP S/4HANA
- This tool has a predefined migration object which contains a mapping for all master/transactional data. It reduces migration cost and time
- Migration activities are predefined and easy to use
The Actual technical part is here:
Let us start how to deal with migration cockpit:
Go to transaction codeL LMTC –> It will open MC on a new web browser.
The Web browser has been opened with the above transaction:
Here, to start with a new project, please click on the “Create” button as highlighted in below screen and it will pop-up with project details to-be filled screen.
Please enter Project name and Default view as shown below:
The main thing is Master Transfer ID: it generated automatically based on existing projects count, If you want your own customized ID, Please click on “Generate New Mass Transfer ID”.
This Transfer ID has its own interesting part at code movement between different systems.
Note: It should be same and unique across all environments.
Example: If DEV-008 then TEST and QUALITY should be 008.
Let’s create Project:
Step 4: Project has been created successfully.
Step5: Go to LTMOM and select the object level information:
Step 6: Now create a migration object here:
Step 7: Creating a Migration object
Step 8: Select the created project from LTMC
Step 9: Select your object- here I have selected Supplier
Step 10: You can check the status of creation as highlighted in below screen, Once the object is selected, go for the further steps:
Step 11: Check the source structure
Step 12: Check the target structure
The important thing here: It displays which function module it uses.
Step 13: Now click on Generate object button highlighted below:
Step 14: Finally, Object has been generated with source and target structures.
Step 15: Now go back to MC and select the generated object:
Step 16: Now download the template:
Step 17: Download template
Step 18: Once the template is downloaded, ensure it is relevant one.
Step 19: Fill the values(sample values been portrayed here)
Note: you need to fill all the sheets whatever been selected at the time of creating the project in LMTC and MC.
Step 20: Upload The filled template
It is uploaded
Step 21: Activate it
Step 22: It is activated and then please click “start transfer”
Step 23: start transfer (results)
Step 24: click next for convert values
Step 25: Results of Start transfer
Step 26: Follow convert values and simulate report
Step27: Click next and start “Execute import”
Once this step is done, click on FINISH and check results in SAP S/4 HANA.
In the next blog posts, we can discuss more on processings.
That’s all about this blog post.
Happy Learning!!! 🙂