Upgrade to SAP BW 7.4/7.5 (Pre & Post BW Upgrade Activities and Post Upgrade Issues) – Part II
This is the second part of the 3 part blog series –
Part I – Reading List and Pre-Upgrade Checks & Activities
Part II – Post-Upgrade Checks, Repairs and Activities (This Part)
Part III – Common Post Upgrade Issues & Resolution
Post-Upgrade Checks, Repairs and Activities
1) Get list of objects and their status from following tables and Compare with Pre-Upgrade Snapshot
RSDS / ROOSOURCE(DS) RSDIOBJ (Infobject) RSDODSO(DSO) RSTRAN(Transformation) RSPCCHAIN(PC) RSQISET(Infoset) RSISN (Infosource) RSDCUBE (Cube)
2) Get list of Open Hub Destinations: Files from Table – RSBFILE, for Logical file name & Logical system and Compare with Pre-Upgrade Snapshot
Standard BW/HANA Checks and Repairs
1) Sanity Checks –
- Check connections to all source and target systems are working
- Check basic T-Codes – RSA1, RSPC, RSRT, SM37, SE38, SM13 are all accesible and working
- Check Background Processes are available as before upgrade
- System/Server/Services information is available and correct
- Display Data in some critical and volume intensive Infoproviders- DSO, Cubes, SPO, Multiproviders, Infosets, Composite Provider, Virtual Provider etc. Check Raw Data in HANA views if any
2) Activate inactive objects –
Transfer Rules/Structures – RS_TRANSTRU_ACTIVATE_ALL Datasource – RSDS_DATASOURCE_ACTIVATE_ALL Infoobjects – RSDG_IOBJ_ACTIVATE DSO – RSDG_ODSO_ACTIVATE Cube – RSDG_CUBE_ACTIVATE Infoset – RSQ_ISET_MASS_OPERATIONS Multiprovider – RSDG_MPRO_ACTIVATE Transformation – RSDG_TRFN_ACTIVATE DTP – RSBKDTPREPAIR
3) Check DDIC inconsistency –
Note 449160 – Run Program RSUPGRCHECK to check the consistency of generated DDIC objects Note 458363 – Run Program RSDG_IOBJ_REORG for Repair and Activation of Inconsistent InfoObjects and InfoCubes
4) Check consistency of BW table properties on HANA –
Note 1937062 – Run Program RSDU_TABLE_CONSISTENCY to perform consistency checks available. Note 2417080 – REPAIR_PARTITIONING does not fully repair the BW object Note 1767014 – RSDU_TABLE_CONSISTENCY reports too many inconsistencies
5) Check BW Objects inconsistency – Run Tcode – RSRV and perform tests to check any issues reappear
6) Check Master Data inconsistency – Run Program RSDMD_CHECKPRG_ALL. If there is any inconsistency, run the same program with Repair option.
7) PSA Checks and Repair –
Note 1150724 – Run programs in this note to analyse and repair PSA inconsistencies. https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/BI/PSA+Check+and+Repair+reports
8) Check Infopackages inconsistency – Run Tcode RSBATCH -> Reports Tab -> Check/Repair Inconsistent Infopackages.
9) Check Datasources inconsistency – Note 579022 – Run Program RSAR_TRANSTRUCTURE_CHECK
10) Check Multiprovider inconsistency – Run Program RSCOMPCONS to lists MultiProviders that are inconsistent with respect to compounding
1) Run ABAP Code Inspector Program again as done during Pre-Upgrade. For any syntax errors, adjust the code according to the solution recommended in the Syntax error section of Note 1823174 – BW 7.4 changes and customer-specific programs..
2) Run Modified Bex Queries – Execute queries which were modified after Bex Query Checker Tool program Pre-Upgrade step, to check and confirm if any issues still come up
3) Check and re-activate transformations for code push down – Run Program RSDHA_TRFN_CHECK_HANA_PROCESS to check what transformations are potentially useful for a code pushdown. Re-activation of the transformations results in code pushdown, if this is feasible as per above check.
4) Check Delta Load from ECC – Perform some adhoc transaction delta loads by manually triggering corresponding Process Chain to test end to end data load
5) Check Full Load from ECC – Perform some adhoc master and transaction full loads by manually triggering corresponding Process Chain to test end to end data load
6) Check Loads from/to other systems – Perform adhoc data loads from/to any other systems by manually triggering corresponding Process Chain to test end to end data load. Perform loading via Open Hub if used.
7) Check Loads within BW – Perform Flat File upload within BW. Perform APD execution
8) Check Reports – Execute some Reports / Dashboards in Reporting Tool used – Webi, AfO, Lumira etc as applicable
9) Check Archiving process – If any archiving solution is implemented, check archiving and unarchiving of requests works correctly
1) Re-start V3 Delta Collection Jobs in ECC.
2) Re- Schedule all Process Chains
Post upgrade activities/test must ensure that consistency and integrity of data is intact. Any modifications to be done like in ABAP routines, customer exits, query formulas must be in line with recommendations given in relevant SAP Notes.
In next and final section, we will look at some of the most common issues encountered post upgrade to 7.5 and their resolution.