Basic Settings for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA 1809
This blog post is updated version of previous blog post Basic Settings for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA 1709, please check previous blog post for SAP S/4HANA 1709 and 1610. This blog post is not valid for Decentralized EWM on SAP S/4HANA
- If you use a SAP S/4HANA 1809 system with Best Practice activated but without using the SAP Extended Warehouse Management for S/4HANA, and you want to add the Best Practice for the SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA to an existing plant, this blog lists all the required Best Practice Org data and guides you to expedite the Basic Settings process so that you don’t need to research for the input data.
- If you use a SAP S/4HANA 1809 system, and you want to add the SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA to a new or an existing plant, you replace the Best Practice Org Structure in this blog with your own and complete the basic settings by following the example.
1 Basic Settings for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA
SAP provides a copy of “Getting Started Guide – Basic Settings for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA” in the attachment of SAP Note 2668150 – SAP S/4HANA 1809: Release information and restrictions for EWM in SAP S/4HANA SAP Note has file “BasicSettings_EWMinS4_V01.pdf”.
This blog provides step-by-step screenshots based on the guide and the Best Practice Org structure.
SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA Best Practices
SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA provides the following 11 scope items in the Best Practice content, and this blog shows the basic settings needed for these Best Practices. For each scope item, more functional related configurations are needed. Refer to rapid.sap.com for the required Building Blocks for each scope item.
|1FS||Basic Warehouse Inbound Processing from Supplier||Basic|
|1FU||Initial Stock Upload for Warehouse||Basic|
|1FW||Physical Inventory in Warehouse||Basic|
|1FY||Replenishment in Warehouse||Basic|
|1G0||Scrapping in Warehouse||Basic|
|1G2||Basic Warehouse Outbound Processing to Customer||Basic|
|1V5||Warehouse Inbound Processing from Supplier with Batch Management||Basic|
|1V7||Warehouse Outbound Processing to Customer with Batch Management||Basic|
|1V9||Basic Warehouse Inbound Processing from Supplier with Quality Management||Basic|
|1VB||Production Integration – Component Consumption and Receipt in Warehouse||Basic|
|1VD||Advanced Warehouse Outbound Processing to Customer||Advance|
2 Configuration of qRFC Communication
2.1 Background Information About System Landscape Settings
The system landscape entities in the following table is based on a single SAP S/4HANA sandbox system, which has system ID BES and Client 300. If you need to setup the system landscape for a distributed system landscape, e.g., with customizing, test, and production system, see Section 2.1 in the guide pdf file.
|System Landscape Entity||Example||Comments|
|RFC Destination||BESCLNT300||Exists in your SAP S/4HANA system already, see Section 2.2 below|
|Logical Systems||BESCLNT300||Exists in your SAP S/4HANA system and assigned to Client 300 already|
|Dummy Logical System||BESEWM300||To be created by the Implementation Tool for System Connection, see Section 2.4.|
|Business System Group BG1||BG1||To be created by the Implementation Tool for System Connection, see Section 2.4.|
|Business System S4H_001||BES_300||To be created by the Implementation Tool for System Connection, see Section 2.4.|
2.2 Technical Prerequisites for qRFC Communication
The RFC Destination and RFC Connection BESCLNT300 should be in the existing SAP S/4HANA system already. You need to test the RFC Connection to confirm that the connection is working via transaction SM59 by clicking on the Connection Test button.
2.3 Creating Dummy Logical System Manually
The Dummy Logical System for EWM will be created automatically by the “Implementation Tool for System Connection” in Section 2.4.
2.4 Configuring qRFC Communication and Client Settings
You use this procedure to configure the following data with the help of the “Implementation Tool for System Connection” in SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA:
- System landscape settings for qRFC communication.
· Basic number ranges (on client level) in SAP EWM including packaging specifications and shipping and receiving activities
· Warehouse-independent basic settings using BC Set activation within the tool
You follow the following steps to use the “Implementation Tool for System Connection”.
- In Customizing for Extended Warehouse Management, choose Interfaces → ERP Integration → Tool-Based ERP Integration → Implementation Tool for System Connection, click on the IMG node execution icon.
- The following pop-up window opens.
- Select “Display Quick Help” to display input field information.
- Enter a Data Set name (W001) and its Description (W001). The system uses the name of the data set to store your data input.
- Select an existing transport Request/Task or create a new one to store all the configurations made during the Activation step.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 2 “Use Cases”, and select the “Configuration EWM in the current system” radio button.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 3 “System Settings”, review the system proposed entries, and enter new values if the fields are blank.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 4 “Number Ranges”, if you need to setup your own number ranges, select “Skip creation of number ranges”.
The number ranges will be created by the system in this blog.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 5 “Activation”. Enter the Request/Task, and click on “Activate” button. You could export the details of the activation content by clicking the Export button.
- The activation is executed in the background.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 6 “Activation Logs” after the completion of Activation. Check the logs for any error messages. The same log could be found in transaction SLG1 under object /SCWM/WME and sub-object IMPL_TOOL.
- You have successfully executed the Implementation Tool for System Connection.
3 Warehouse Creation and Integration into the Enterprise Structure
3.1 Background Information About Warehouse Integration
The Best Practices for US Localization version for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA requires the following org structure. For other country localization, replace the 17 prefix by your country number. For example, instead of Plant 1809 for US, use 1010 for Germany, 2910 for Canada, 1310 for China, 3010 for Australia, etc.
|Org. Master Data||Value||Master Data Description||Comments|
|Company Code||0001||Company Code 0001||S/4HANA Object|
|Purchasing Organization||0001||Purch. Org. 0001||S/4HANA Object|
|Plant||PL01||Plant 1 US (or your description)||S/4HANA Object|
|Storage Location||ROD||EWM ROD||S/4HANA Object|
|Storage Location||AFS||EWM AFS||S/4HANA Object|
|ERP Warehouse Number||W01||W01 WM Warehouse for EWM (or your description)||S/4HANA Object|
|Receiving Point||0001||Shipping Point 0001||S/4HANA Object|
|Supply Chain Unit||SCU-W001||SCU Warehouse W001||EWM Specific Objects in S/4HANA|
|EWM Warehouse Number||W001||EWM W001||EWM Specific Objects in S/4HANA|
|Entitled to Dispose||BPW001VC||BPW001VC||S/4HANA Object|
|Goods Receipt Office||SCU-W001||SCU for Warehouse W001||EWM Specific Objects in S/4HANA|
|Shipping Office||SCU-W001||SCU for Warehouse 0001||EWM Specific Objects in S/4HANA|
3.2 Prerequisites for Warehouse Integration
Plant PL01 should have been already created in your system and an active material ledger for the valuation area has been assigned to Plant PL01.
If your plant doesn’t exist, create it and set active material ledger for your plant, see Section 3.2 in file “BasicSettings_EWMinS4_V01.pdf”.
You have to perform the following manual configuration before you could use the automated configuration tool in Section 3.4.
- Create storage locations AFS and ROD in plant PL01.
Enterprise Structure → Definition → Materials Management → Maintain storage location.
- Create a business partner BPW001VC with predefined roles FLCU00 (FI Customer) and FLCU01 (Customer)Transaction BP
Select create Organization icon, and enter name, Country, Language, and Save
To add the FLCU00 BP role under the change mode, select the FLCU00 BP role, enter address, and Save.
To add the FLCU01 BP role, under Change mode, select the FLCU01 BP role and save.
You need to link the customer BPW001VC to Plant PL01 via Customizing Path:
Materials Management → Purchasing → Purchase Order → Set up Stock Transport Order → Define Shipping Data for Plants.
Enter BPW001VC in the Customer No. – Plant field.
- Add FLVN00 (FI Vendor) and FLVN01 (Vendor) to BPW001VC
Use transaction Code BP to change BPW001VC.
Add FLVN00 BP role to Business Partner BPW001VC, and save.
Add FLVN01 BP role to Business Partner BPW001VC, and save.You need to link BPW001VC as the supplier to Plant PL01.
In the BP transaction change mode, select the FLVN01 Supplier role, under the “Vendor – General Data” tab, enter plant PL01 in the Additional General Data section.
The customizing for shipping point/goods receiving point assignment, posting period settings, and cost center assignment, see Section 3.2 Page 11 in the document “BasicSettings_EWMinS4_V01.pdf”, have been set in the SAP S/4HANA configuration already.
3.3 Creating Organizational Units for the Warehouse
You need to make the following configuration in SAP S/4HANA.
- Define a warehouse on the SAP S/4HANA side (WM warehouse)
Enterprise Structure → choose Definition → Logistics Execution → Define,
copy, delete, check warehouse number, and choose the activity Define warehouse
Click on “New Entries” to add the warehouse W01.
NOTE: Do not use copy warehouse function.Click New Entries and enter
Warehouse no. description: W01 WM warehouse for EWM
- Assign the warehouse W01 to the plant PL01 and storage locations AFS and ROD
Enterprise Structure → Assignment → Logistics Execution → Assign warehouse number to plant/storage location.
Click on New Entries and make the following assignments
- Maintain EWM-specific parameters for the warehouse
Logistics Execution → Extended Warehouse Management Integration → Basic Setup of Connectivity → Configure SAP EWM Specific Parameters.
Ext. WM: E (ERP with Extended Warehouse Management)
Comm. WM: Q (Queued and Serialized Asynchronous RFC)
Dist. Mode: Distribution Immediately at Document Creation
3.4 Creating and Integrating a SAP EWM Warehouse
SAP provides the “Implementation Tool for Warehouse Integration” to configure the following objects in SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA for you:
- SAP EWM warehouse definition and assignment to the Logistics Execution warehouse
- Supply chain unit (SCU) of the warehouse, which is also used as shipping office and receiving office
- Assignment of Custodian, Parties Entitled to Dispose (Plants), and Default Party Entitled to Dispose (optional) to the SAP EWM warehouse:
- Assignment of SAP EWM stock types to the corresponding plants and storage locations by means of availability groups
- Warehouse-dependent and warehouse-independent number ranges (optional)
- Plus other configurations made by the BC Sets included in the tool, see the list of the BC Sets at the end of Sec. 3.4.
You will find the “Implementation Tool for Warehouse Integration” in the following customizing Path:
SCM Extended Warehouse Management → Extended Warehouse Management → Interfaces → ERP Integration → Tool-Based ERP Integration → Implementation Tool for Warehouse Integration.
- Click on the IMG node “Implementation Tool for Warehouse Integration”.
- Enter a Data Set name and its Description. The system uses the name of the data set to store your data input. And select an existing transport Request/Task or create a new one to store all the configurations made by the tool.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 2 “System Selection”, keep the proposed Own Logical System setting – BESCLNT300, and select the BESEWM300 from the Logical Systems list.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 3 “Warehouse Definitions”.
Enter Warehouse Number W001 and your description.
Use the input help drop down to select the ERP Warehouse number W01.
If the ERP warehouse number is not found in the list, check the RFC connection in Sec. 2.2.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 4 “Organizational Units”.
Enter the following settings used in the Best Practice:
Supply Chain Unit: YWAREHOUSE-PL01
Default Party Entitled to Dispose: BPW001VC
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 5 “Availability Groups”.Select the first line, Storage Location ROD, choose the Availability Group ROD and select the EWM stock type F1, Q3, B5, R7 and S5 as below. The selected values are automatically populated in the ROD line above.Select the next line, Storage Location AFS, select Availability AFS, and populate the Stock Types F2, Q4, B6, R8 and S6 as below:
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 6 “Number Ranges”.
If you want to use the default number ranges, select “Create All Standard Number Ranges”. Otherwise, define your own number range after the activation.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 7 “Activation”
Enter an existing Request/Task or create a new one.
You could export the activation list by clicking the “Export” button.
Click the “Activate” button to start the configuration in the background.
- Click on the “Next >” button to go to Step 8 “Activation Logs” after the completion of Activation. Check the logs for any error messages. The same log could be found in transaction SLG1 under object /SCWM/WME and sub-object IMPL_TOOL.
The “Implementation Tool for Warehouse Integration” activates the following BC Sets. You could check their content using transaction code SCPR3.
|BC Set ID||Description|
|/SCWM/PRC_10_10_S4||Basic Settings (Client) – 10 – S/4|
|/SCWM/PRC_20_10||Basic Settings (Warehouse) – 10|
|/SCWM/PRC_20_20_S4||Basic Settings (Warehouse) – 20 – S/4|
|/SCWM/PRC_20_30||Basic Settings (Warehouse) – 30|
|/SCWM/PRC_10_20||Basic Settings (Client) – 20|
|/SCWM/PRC_10_30||Basic Settings (Client) – 30|
|/SCWM/PRC_11_9A||Assignment Number Range Intervals for Basic Settings|
|/SCWM/BASIC_LIME||LIME Basic Settings for EWM|
3.5 Aligning HU Numbering
SAP Best Practice creates the following HU number ranges.
|Application||Internal Ranges||External Ranges|
1000000000 – 7999999999
|8000000000 – 9999999999 (10 digits)|
|EWM (Warehouse specific)
800000000 – 899999999 (9 digits)
1000000 – 1999999 (7 digits)
None (all numbers outside the
internal number ranges allowed)
If your customer needs different HU number ranges, Section 3.5 in the pdf document, BasicSettings_EWMinS4_V01.pdf, provides setup guidelines.
3.6 Activating Transaction Data Transfer
SAP S/4HANA transfers the transaction data (inbound deliveries, outbound deliveries, and production material requests) to SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA using queued remote function call (qRFC).
You need to allow the split of delivery so that the deliveries are split for EWM and non-EWM warehouse if an order contains items from different warehouses.
You configure Define delivery split by warehouse under customizing Path:
Logistics Execution → Shipping → Deliveries → Define Split Criteria for Deliveries → Delivery Split by Warehouse Number → Define delivery split per delivery type
Select the Delivery Split checkbox for all delivery types you use in your EWM warehouse, e.g., EL, LF, LR, etc.
In Delivery Split by Warehouse Number, choose the activity Determine delivery split per warehouse number, and select the checkbox.
For qRFC transaction data transfer, you need to generate the distribution model for the Logistics Execution warehouse:
Logistics Execution → SAP EWM Integration → Basic Setup of Connectivity → Generate Distribution Model from SAP S/4HANA to SAP EWM.
Enter data in the following fields:
Warehouse Number: W01
Logical System of SAP EWM: BESEWM300
Distribution Model View: EWM (not in the help drop down list)
In the Objects screen area, select All.
In the Action screen area, select Create Entries.
Select Yes in the following popup window.
Click the green check icon to continue the generation of the distribution model.
4.1 Using Reference Number from ERP as document number of the EWM Warehouse Request
ERP document number can be used as EWM warehouse request number (released with 1809).
Customizing: Inbound Deliveries
SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Goods Receipt Process -> Inbound Delivery -> Define Document Types for Inbound Delivery Process.
SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Goods Issue Process -> Outbound Delivery -> Define Document Types for Outbound Delivery Process.
SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Internal Warehouse Processes -> Delivery Processing -> Posting Changes -> Define Document Types for Posting Change Process.
4.2 Synchronous Goods Movements to ERP instead of qRFC for non-delivery related stock postings
For following tcodes, synchronous stock posting can be activated (released with 1809)
Difference Analyzer (tx. /SCWM/DIFF_ANALYZER)
Posting Changes (tx. /SCWM/POST, EWM Monitor, Change Stock Type report)
Post Unplanned Goods Issue (tx. /SCWM/ADGI)
Stock Data Transfer (tx. /SCWM/ISU)
SCM Extended Warehouse Management -> Extended Warehouse Management -> Interfaces -> ERP Integration-> Goods Movements -> Activate Synchronous Goods Movement Posting
Congratulations! You have finished the basic settings for SAP EWM in SAP S/4HANA. This completes the technical and organization configuration EWM in SAP S/4HANA.
Hi Yunus Yucesoy,
Appreciate your effort in creating this informative blog. This blog resembles the blog posted in 2018-
Hi Yunus Yucesoy,
In my system, I'm not able to use the Tool-based setting, do we have any other manual setting to do the same config? Thanks.
Hi Yunus Yucesoy,
In my system, I’m not able to use the Tool-based setting, do we have any other way ?
Its really a nice document and useful in setting up the system. I have done the set up and I am getting the below error when Inbound delivery distributed. Has any faced the similar issue.
I have embedded ewm 1909. Am trying to create a new EWM warehouse for my plant. System alreday setup for 1710.
I have tried to copy using your instructions, but am struck teh ERP warehouse is no pulling up for the new EWM warehouse 'Implementation tool for EWM INTEGRATION.
My SM59 setup is fine.
I encounted an issue with Step 4 System Settings: Tool doesnt allow to assign a Logical System. Would you be able to provide any reasons for this error