Sneak peek into S/4HANA 1909 Finance Innovations Part – 1
SAP has yet to release S/4HANA 1909, but I have some interesting sneak previews on what you can expect in the area of Finance. Of course, this would not cover everything, but I will focus mainly on the Finance capabilities in the S/4HANA Core. Interesting things are happening in the area of Profitability Analysis for example. Is COPA going to be replaced? Or is SAP just changing product names. Read more to learn.
The latest release of S/4HANA ads a variety of innovations to further extend the digital core and improves connectivity to other best of breed (cloud) applications.
I have categorized the topics in two areas and I will publish the post in 2 parts.
- Universal Allocations
- Where used list
- Margin Analysis (COPA)
- Accruals Management: ML-Service
- Goods and Invoice Receipt Reconciliation: ML-Service + Enhancements
- T-Account Display
- Group Reporting: Advanced Intercompany Reconciliation
Part 1 – Management Accounting
Everyone who has worked with allocation or distribution cycles in SAP knows that it is a tidy job to define, customize, change, simulate and analyse all the cycles and segments. SAP realize this, and is going to improve in this area with “Universal Allocations”. It was already announced with the release of version 1809, but this functionality was not included yet. When we look at the roadmap, we can expect some functional scope to be included in release 1909.
In my previous blogpost about version 1809 you can read more about the motivation for Universal Allocation. As you can see, in the target SAP wants to move to only 3 applications to manage, run and analyse allocation cycles:
Some more details about managing and running cycles in the Universal Allocation application:
- Single point for creation & maintaining allocation cycles and segments
- Currently contexts of cost centre & profit centre allocations
- Manages actual and plan allocations / distribution & overhead allocation (assessment)
- Application consist of List report of cycles and object page of cycle & segment details
- Single point for allocation run execute and analysis
- Contexts of cost centre & profit centre allocations
- Executes both actuals and plan allocations cycles
- Application consist of List report of completed runs and object page for run worklist def&exec
- Run report in new Fiori design including new innovative features
- Import of sender/receiver values via .csv file or manual entry
- Global accounting hierarchy groups integrated
- Allocation cycle groups enabled
- New improved allocation run persistency layer
- Network graph for visualisaiton of allocation run result
- Situation Framework for fast notification (errors/warning runs)
- Integration with Where-used list
- Cycles are defined with respect to a ledger and a single company code
- Universal Allocation posts with more detailed business transaction types (BTTYPE) –
per context, actual/plan, and allocation type.
- Custom fields are not yet fully supported (only inherited from sender to receiver).
Where used list
To easily show dependencies between master data and to support impact analysis for organizational change, SAP has created a new where used list functionality. This functionality is not intended to show transactional figures or to replace reporting.
Currently it is released for the following objects:
- Cost center
- Statistical key figures
- Activity types
- Profit centers
- Standalone Fiori app for each object
- Can be launched from “Manage” App for each object, selection is transferred
- Search for multiple objects
- Configurable lists with results
- Navigation to object details via smartlinks
- Export to spreadsheet
Example for Cost Centers:
Margin Analysis (COPA)
Interesting things are happening in the area of profitability analysis. Is COPA going to be replaced? According to the statement of direction provided by SAP, it is.
Or is it just a name change and basically providing the same features of Account Based COPA?
To my understanding it is the continuation of Account Based COPA. SAP is just rebranding it. In all documentation you will see that Margin Analysis is compared against Costing Based COPA. This was already the case with Account Based COPA in S/4HANA. Everything what is mentioned as benefit of Margin Analysis
As part of this comparison you can see the details in the diagram below. The 3 highlighted capabilities were already added in version 1809 and I have written separate blogs about these in detail. You can find these blogposts here:
- Enhancements in Cost of Goods Sold
- Statistical Sales Condition
- Predictive Accounting for Incoming Sales Order
These where the highlights of management accounting in the S/4HANA Core in 1909. There are more innovations in connected (cloud) application outside the core. I will explain more about these in separate blogposts.
Stay tuned for part 2 of this blog series where you will find out the Financial Accounting capabilities in the S/4HANA core 1909.
Thank you Ugur Hasdemir for proving this imp information
Is it possible to get the part 2.
Thank you in advance.
part 2 was posted a while ago on my blog, but forget to post it here on SCN. You can read it here:
my name is Eugen Simandel and I am SAP Product Owner responsible for Universal Allocation project. Thank you for sharing news on this topic.
However, there is incorrect information provided regarding content delivered in 1909, in relation to GL allocation actual/plan data.
GL allocation context is not available in Universal Allocation yet and will be not delivered any soon.
Please kindly correct information in this blog to avoid misunderstanding and incorrect expectations.
Thanks for your comment. In section “Manage Allocations” the following is mentioned already:
This should not create any incorrect expectations right?
Thanks and Regards,
Next to this. I have specific issues with universal allocation in 1909. Can I reach out to you in private to inform you about 2 cases where the current app does not work?
Thanks and Regards,
I am CO consultant and currently I am on SAP S4HANA 1909 on premise project where I need to implement "Margin Analysis", I am trying to get the right Fiori App for this but no luck.
Can you please help me out regarding how to find the right one.
Thanks & Regards
What configuration are you exactly looking for? Margin Analysis is nothing more then Account Based COPA is terms of customizing.
Thanks for your reply, yes I know its a same account based configuration, i need to know in Fiori App library I found Margin Analysis app but this app not relevant for 1909. Can you please identify Fiori Apps relevant for 1909 and also support in COPA Margin Analysis.
Thanks in Advance