Following up on my blog post related to the ABAP environment release 1905, I want to give you a brief overview about the highlights of release 1908 which has been delivered last week. This time there are so many new features that following list only represents an extract. As usual, please refer to our official release notes for full details.
Data Center Availability
To support the American market, the ABAP environment is now available in a new data center from Amazon Web Services in US East (Virginia).
In this release, several enhancements of the ABAP language have been published including:
- Support for dynamic ABAP SQL
- Enhanced language scope to facilitate code transformation with deprecated statements that are allowed, but no longer recommended (e.g. FORM, ENDFORM), considered by syntax check with recommendations for replacements where applicable
- Native support of SAP HANA spatial datatypes, decfloat, and several date and time specific datatypes
- Support for SAP HANA GRAPH as part of AMDP framework
- Write API to add content of custom system tables to transport requests.
ABAP RESTful Programming Model
The ABAP programming model has been enriched with several new features like:
- Implementation type “managed” providing increased development efficiency for new transactional apps
- Instance-based authorization control for objects with implementation type “managed”
- Dynamic feature control to enable or disable business objects elements based on the node instance state
- Batch request to group multiple operations into single HTTP request payloads
- Support of Deep Insert callback method
- End-to-end enablement for functions when implementing unmanaged business objects
ABAP Development Tools
Additionally, the development toolset has received a variety of new capabilities such as:
- Support for latest Eclipse version 2019-06 (4.12)
- New Relation Explorer to display structure and behavior of business objects
- Enhanced wizard for Service Consumption Model now including ETag and entity set selection as well as display functionality for issues in entity sets
- Enhanced logging in abapGit client
- Capability to apply quick fixes for ATC findings to adapt your custom code for the ABAP environment
Custom Code Migration App
An SAP Fiori based Custom Code Migration App is now available. It allows both checks of custom code for migrations to SAP S/4HANA coming from SAP Business Suite as well as readiness checks for code transformation projects targeting the ABAP environment. Please refer to the documentation for more details.
Technical Monitoring Cockpit
Technical Monitoring Cockpit (TMC) as monitoring and analysis tool is now available in the ABAP environment. It provides various capabilities such as SQL analysis and monitoring of resource utilization. More details can be found in the documentation.
ABAP environment is now officially certified with a set of ISO/IEC certificates (including 27001, 22301, 27017 and 27018) as well as SOC 1 and FSTEC. Please find more information in SAP Trust Center.
Finally, our tutorial catalogue has been further enhanced with a real end-to-end scenario:
Scenario description: Create a bonus calculation application on the ABAP environment to calculate bonus entitlements for employees based on generated sales orders in the SAP S/4HANA Cloud system.