Download and Installation of SAP HANA Studio 2.0 (SP3) with ABAP & BW Perspectives (BW-MT)
Here are the comprehensive steps for download and installation of SAP HANA Studio with ABAP & BW perspectives which helps to initiate the development activity to Analytics Consultants.
What is SAP HANA Studio?
SAP HANA Studio is an Eclipse based, integrated development environment (IDE) for development and administration of SAP HANA Database in the form of GUI tool.
SAP HANA Studio runs on client/developer machine and connects to SAP HANA Server. SAP HANA Studio can access local or remote SAP HANA Database.
By using SAP HANA Studio, we can –
- Enables user to manage the SAP HANA Database.
- Create and manage user authorizations.
- Create New or modify existing models of data.
- HANA Modeler Perspective helps to work on HANA Modeling
- HANA Development Perspective helps to work on application development
- ABAP Perspective helps to work on ABAP related development – CDS Views etc.
- BW Perspective helps to work on BW related development – Modeling etc.
HANA Modeler and HANA Development perspective will be installed by default while ABAP and BW perspective requires manual steps.
In this blog, we will download SAP HANA Studio 2.0 (SP3) and install it on Windows Machine along with ABAP and BW perspectives.
Installation of SAP HANA Studio 2.0 (SP 3) in Windows Machine
Supported Client Machine
Microsoft Windows x32 and x64 versions-
JAVA JVM – During Installation and updating of SAP HANA Studio, a JVM is installed or updated.
Download any SAP software from official website, please note S User Id is required.
- Download SAP HANA Studio SAR file (search for SAP HANA 2.0)
- Download SAPCAR Exe File (search for SAPCAR)
- Open Command Prompt
- Run Below CommandPS C:\Users\harshil.joshi\Downloads\SAP Downloads> .\SAPCAR_1211-80000938.EXE -xvf .\IMC_STUDIO2_237_2-80000323.SAR*Path should be as per your downloaded location.After successful installation a folder with name SAP_HANA_STUDIO will be available in your respective location. Default installation folder is C:/Program Files / SAP / hdbstudio.
- Open double click on hdbsetupPlease note it has to be installed with Administrator account or a user with administrator rights.
- It will install the SAP HANA Studio Client.
ABAP Perspective Installation
After continuing above 6 steps to install SAP HANA Studio now below steps are to install ABAP perspective
You can follow the steps mentioned at https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#abap
follow below step by step approach
- Open SAP HANA Studio –> Help –> Install New Software2. Enter https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/2019-06 [ In Work With ]
Select ABAP Development Tools
3. Click Next
4. On the next wizard page, you get an overview of the features to be installed. Choose Next.
5. Confirm the license agreements and choose Finish to start the installation.
6. Restart SAP HANA Studio
Mylyn Task-Focused Interface
Prior to BW-MT installation, Mylyn Task-Focused Interface is required to be installed in Eclipse. Please follow below steps
- Help -> Install New Software
2. Select Mylyn Task-Focused Interface and click on Add
After successful installation please follow BW Perspective Installation steps
BW Perspective Installation (BW-MT)
You can refer installation guide at
follow below step by step approach
2. Download SAP BW Modeling Tools & Save it (I have downloaded SAPBWMTE00P_2-80004155)
3. Open SAP HANA Studio à Help à Install New Software
4. Click on Add
5. Provide the name and specify the path where you have downloaded & saved BW Modelling Tools (Point No. 2) –> Open –> Add
6. After Adding you will be able to see the list of Modeling Tools
7. Select All and click on Next
8. Restart SAP HANA Studio. Now you are able to access BW Modeling Tools.
After following all the steps, you should be able to see ABAP & BW Perspectives by following Window –> Perspective –> Open Perspective –> Other
Below steps are to upgrade BW modeling tools. In above mentioned steps the installed BW modeling tools are having version 1.21.15 now below steps are to upgrade this.
Below is the snapshot of existing BW-MT Version
(1) Download the latest support pack of BW-MT from SAP and save it to local drive
(2) Click on Help –> Install New Software in SAP HANA Studio
(3) Click on Add –> Local
(6) Go to the Local drive where you have saved the download (Mentioned in Up-gradation Step 1)
(7) Give respective installation name for your records and click Add
(8) Select Update my installation to be compatible with the items being installed and click on Next
(9) It asks for review, click on Next
(10) BW-MT Successfully upgraded to 1.21.22
Errors & Resolutions:
While up-grading BW-MT you may face below error
You need to upgrade your Mylyn Task-Focused Interface in Eclipse
(1) Click on Help–> Install New Software
(2) copy the below path
Check for the latest version for Mylyn Task-Focused Interface select and click on Add
After this BW-MT will be successfully installed.
Thank you for your post, Harshil. I’ve heard that HANA studio is meant to be decommissioned in the long term (replaced by WebIDE or "pure" Eclipse). Do you have information on that?
Yes, Studio will be depreacated...
2465027 - Deprecation of SAP HANA extended application services, classic model and SAP HANA Repository
This affects the following components which will continue to be supported with SAP HANA 1.0 SPS 12 and HANA 2.0 and will be removed from later versions of HANA:
SAP HANA Studio (Development, Modeling, and Administration perspectives)
FANTASTIC - your blog post is greatly appreciated!!!
Yes, the way to install the SAP Packages like ADTs, BWMT, HANA Modelling Tools from "https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/..." became so convenient!
But I am a little bit confused about the following fact.
If you download the mentioned tools like described, you will receive the "Developer Edition", as shown on the installation details. On the SAP DEVELOPER LICENSE AGREEMENT I found the following:
9. SUPPORT: Other than what is made available on the SAP Community Website (SCN) by SAP at its sole discretion and by SCN members, SAP does not offer support for the API or Tools which are the subject of this Developer Agreement.
That means to me, you will not receive any support from SAP if you use the discribed installation procedure or did I understand something wrong?
Why does SAP provide such a installation manual?