In this blog, I would like to cover the SAP IDES and BBP importance and changes to learn about latest S/4HANA application.
SAP IDES: (Internet Demonstration and Evaluation System)
SAP IDES is a normal R/3 but with lots of DEMO data. The system that contains several sample companies typifying relevant business processes. It is simple to use and has a variety of master and transaction data, and is used for demos, online/classroom training, and presentations. Potential customers use IDES to trial and test software via the Internet.
SAP IDES – the “Internet Demonstration and Evaluation System” in the R/3 System, represents a model company. It consists of an international group with subsidiaries in several countries. IDES contains application data for various business scenarios that can be run in the SAP System. The business processes in the IDES system are designed to reflect real-life business requirements and have access to many realistic characteristics. IDES uses easy-to-follow business scenarios to show you the comprehensive functions of the R/3 System. The focal point of IDES, however, is not the functionality itself, but the business processes and their integration.
SAP BBP: (Business Best Practice)
SAP Best Practice (also known as SAP Rapid Deployment Solutions, SAP RDS) is a standardized content library to support your implementation projects with ready to run business processes. They based on the comprehensive and flexible model that the SAP Best Practices team has cultivated from implementations in more than 50 countries with well over 10,000 customers.
Software deployment with SAP Best Practices packages will standardize your implementation project and help that the go-live will be on-time and on-budget.
You can access the SAP Best Practice with the following link: https://rapid.sap.com/bp/ .
Best practice also represent the model company with a limited set of data, country-specific support packages to enable the business processes.
SAP best practice content library provides a lot of information about processes.
- Predefined processes (scope items)
- Test scripts
- Process flows in modeling notation BPMN 2.0
- Configuration guides
- General information
Content can be downloaded with valid S-User credentials to explore the application in details.
Setting up a new Best Practice client
When you implement SAP S/4HANA, you have to create a new so-called Best Practices client. The Best Practices client setup is the prerequisite for successfully activating and deploying the SAP Best Practices content.
A Best Practices client consists of the following:
- A specifically defined set of standard configuration content that you copy from client 000. This is mainly a system relevant configuration and general settings like currency and country definitions.
- SAP Best Practices content that you activate using the SAP Solution Builder.
ABAP client structure & business users
Multiple ABAP clients are configured in the appliance.
- 000 serves as a standard delivery client (as usual in on-premise deployments)
- 100 is the primary demo client that contains the pre-configured scenarios and sample data.
- 200 can be used to experience the activation of SAP Best Practices on your own (see the SAP Best Practices implementation guide for details)
- 300 contains the activated Best Practices based on the Whitelist approach
- 400 contains the activated Best Practices based on the merged-client-000 approach
Accessing the Solution
The appliance can be accessed via a preconfigured Windows remote desktop (option 1) or via client tools on your local PC (option 2).
For first steps with the appliance, we recommend access via the remote desktop since you only need to have the Windows remote desktop client installed on your PC which in most cases will be the case.
Since UI performance and flexibility are usually better via access from your local PC, please evaluate if you can use this method as standard access. It requires administrator access on your PC and 5 minutes of effort.
Running the appliance as a trial for a free period
This solution can be used with a Free Trial License Agreement for the configured free period. You will be asked to agree to the Free Trial License Agreement during the instantiation steps.
Once you create the solution instance, the SAP system will generate a temporary license key that is sufficient for exploration purpose. After the expiration of the pre-installed temporary license a valid license is required to keep using the solution instance.
Note that you are not allowed to install license keys under the Free Trial License Agreement. You can continue the solution with the Product License Agreement any time prior to the end of the free period by unlocking it.
Running the appliance with a product license key
If you want to run the solution beyond the free trial period, you need to obtain two SAP licenses:
1. The SAP Cloud Appliance Library (SAP CAL) subscription package
2. The SAP S/4HANA product license(s)
SAP S/4HANA product licenses
To use the instance created from this solution under your own SAP Product License Agreements, you must obtain the respective product licenses for SAP S/4HANA.
You will need to apply the following license keys (see 126.96.36.199 for details)
- SAP S/4HANA
- SAP HANA database
- SAP NetWeaver J2EE platform
- Optional: SAP BusinessObjects BI platform
However, please note that the following separately-licensed SAP S/4HANA capabilities are also pre-configured in the appliance.
These capabilities will technically work if you enter the above license keys for SAP S/4HANA and SAP HANA database, but depending on your use case you need to ensure that you comply with SAP’s license model.
- SAP S/4HANA Finance for cash mgmt.
- SAP S/4HANA Finance for receivables mgmt.
- SAP S/4HANA for advanced compliance reporting
- SAP Business Planning and Consolidation, add-on for S/4HANA
- SAP S/4HANA for extended planning
- SAP S/4HANA Advanced Available-to-Promise
- SAP S/4HANA for Advanced Variant Configuration, standard
- SAP Portfolio and Project Management for SAP S/4HANA professional
- SAP S/4HANA Embedded EWM Application
- SAP S/4HANA Production Planning and Detailed Scheduling
- SAP S/4HANA Transportation Management
IDES VS BBP: