Portal Service Available on SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry Trial Account
Notes and disclaimers to this blog:
Portal Service was recently removed from from the trial environment and replaced with the SAP Cloud Platform Launchpad service, see more details in this blog: https://blogs.sap.com/2020/09/08/start-your-free-trial-for-sap-cloud-platform-launchpad
Note that this blog was created before the branding changes related to SAP technology platform were announced on January 2021.
You can now subscribe to the Portal service in the trial account on SAP Cloud Platform Cloud Foundry environment – for the following data centers Europe (Frankfurt) and US East (VA). You have the full Portal capabilities available on the trial account.
Did you already create a trial account for SAP Cloud Platform? If not, you should do it right now. A trial account lets you explore SAP Cloud Platform for free. Access is open to everyone. Trial accounts are intended for personal exploration, and not for production use or team development. They allow restricted use of the platform resources and services. Usage of the trial is possible for 30 days. You can extend the trial period to a maximum of 90 days. A trial account in the Cloud Foundry environment can contain multiple subaccounts which is different from the NEO environment where you can can manage only one trial subaccount.
To get more information about the different types of accounts on SAP Cloud Platform trial and enterprise account, check out this link to the official documentation.
I. Prerequisite: Create your Trial account for SAP Cloud Platform
As a prerequisite to get access to the Portal service, you must create a SAP Cloud Platform trial account in the Cloud Foundry environment.
- Go to the new SAP Cloud Platform product site and choose Start free trial.
- Follow the steps on the official Cloud Platform documentation, see section “Get a trial account”.
II. Subscribe to Portal Service
- Click on your trial subaccount or the subaccount you created in the SAP Cloud Platform cockpit.
- Click Subscriptions from the side menu:
- Click on the Portal Service. You see that you are not yet subscribed:
- Click Subscribe. The status is changing to Subscribed.
- You are now subscribed to the Portal service:
Note: If you click on Go to Application, you will realize that you still have no access to the Portal service application. You first have to assign yourself the Super_Admin role.
III. Assign Yourself to Super_Admin Role
To be able to access and work in the Portal service application, you need to do some configuration steps.
- Click on your subaccount.
- From the side menu, select Security -> Role Collections. Then create a new role collection (you can name it for example “Administrator”) and save:
- Click on your role collection to navigate to the Roles screen and then click Add Role.
- Select the following values:
Application Identifer: portal-cf-service!<Your id>
Role Template: Super_Admin
- Use the breadcrumbs at the top of your screen to go back to your subaccount.
- From your side menu, select Security -> Trust Configuration.
- Click the SAP ID Service. If you are not using the SAP IDP (SAP ID Service), click Role Collection Assignment from the side menu.
- Enter your email address and then click Show Assignments:
- Click Assign Role Collection. In the dialog box that opens, select the Administrator role collection that you defined above and then click Assign Role Collection.
Now you are assigned to the Super_Admin role and you can access the Portal service as follows:
- Click again on your trial subaccount or the subaccount you created in the SAP Cloud Platform cockpit.
- Click Subscriptions from the side menu.
- Search for the Portal Service and click on Go to application.
- Enter your email and password and log on, you have now access to the site directory in the administration environment and you can start creating Portal sites:
Watch also this video which shows you the steps you need to take to subscribe to the Portal service and how to assign yourself to the Super Admin role:
For further information, you can also check out the SAP Cloud Platform Portal Administrator Guide.