New SAP Fiori launchpad content manager tool available for S/4HANA 1709 and 1809 customers
Latest Update Oct 1, 2019: A new version of the launchpad content manager is now available. Read my blog for detailed information about new features and capabilities.
Latest Update Aug 23, 2019: As there were several questions around this topic in the comments, a short clarification: Though the Content Manager tool is targeted towards managing SAP Fiori content in SAP S/4HANA, as the huge amount of available SAP Fiori apps, catalogs etc. created an immediate need for such a tool. Nevertheless, the tool itself is available with specific SAP NetWeaver/SAP_UI versions, as mentioned below. It can then be used both in a hub and embedded deployment of SAP Fiori for SAP S/4HANA.
The new launchpad content manager has been released for SAP S/4HANA 1809 (with SAP_UI 7.53 SP04 and SAPUI5 1.60) and for 1709 (with SAP_UI 7.52 SP07 and SAPUI5 1.52) on July 1st and it is also planned to be released for SAP S/4HANA 1909 (with SAP_UI 7.54 SP00) in September 2019. Complementing the SAP Fiori launchpad designer as a configuration tool, it substantially simplifies the configuration of SAP Fiori launchpad content.
What do we mean by Fiori launchpad content?
Fiori launchpad content is all of the apps assigned to you as a business user for access via the launchpad. This includes apps you access
- on your Home Page by tiles or links,
- apps you access via the App Finder, the Home button, or SAP Fiori Search and
- apps you access via seamless app-to-app navigation (e.g. by drilling down on an Overview Page card or selecting a hyperlink in a List Report or Analytical List Page).
Technically, apps are collected into catalogs, and these catalogs are then assigned to your business role authorizing you to view and access all the apps in your catalogs.
What functionality does the content manager provide?
The content manager improves the creation and adaptation of SAP Fiori launchpad catalogs. You can use it both to explore existing content and to create your own catalogs by copying existing ones and adapting them to your needs.
The content manager has two tabs, one for managing catalogs and one for managing tiles and target mappings. You might select a catalog on the Catalogs tab to get a detailed list of all tiles and target mappings that are part of this catalog and see at a glance which tiles and target mappings match according to their intent and whether there are tiles without a matching target mapping in the catalog or vice versa.
On the Tiles/Target Mappings tab in contrast, you can select a tile, a target mapping, or a matching combination of both and see in which catalogs it exists. In addition, the Reference Detail field indicates whether the selected tile or target mapping was created in the catalog or is a reference.
Where does the content manager improve your experience compared to the SAP Fiori launchpad designer?
Here are some examples:
- While it can be very hard with the launchpad designer to find all corresponding tiles and target mappings for a given SAP Fiori application, you can now easily search for an SAP Fiori app, e.g. by entering the SAP Fiori ID that you find in the SAP Fiori Apps Reference Library into the search field on the Tile/Target Mappings tab. You will immediately get a list of all tiles and target mappings that launch the SAP Fiori application.
- The content manager substantially improves the process of finding and correcting problems. Go to the Tile/Target Mappings tab and filter for Status Error or Warning to see all tiles, target mappings and combinations with errors and get further information on the issue.
- Creating your own catalogs is very easy with the content manager: After identifying a catalog that is similar to what you need, just create your own copy of the existing catalog. The new catalog contains references to the tiles and target mappings in the original catalog. You can now in a first step delete all unnecessary references by simply selecting them and choosing Remove Tiles/Target Mappings. In a second step, you can easily add all missing tiles and target mappings by searching the complete list of tile/target mappings, selecting the tiles and target mappings you would like to add and clicking the Add button.Therefore, the content manager is especially helpful for customizing the Rapid Activation content. The Rapid Activation for SAP Fiori in SAP S/4HANA task lists help customers to cut down the time needed to activate apps for SAP business roles (see Jocelyn Dart’s great blog on that topic). Once activated, you can start exploring the activated SAP Fiori content and comparing it to the real business roles in your company and you will probably find some need for adjustments here. This is where the content manager will enable you to make any changes you need in a very effective manner.
So, how do you run the launchpad content manager?
The launchpad content manager allows you to make system-wide or client-specific changes. For making system-wide changes in the configuration scope, you use transaction /UI2/FLPCM_CONF to access the content manager tool. For client-specific changes in the customizing scope, please use transaction /UI2/FLPCM_CUST.
For more details check out the SAP Fiori launchpad content manager documentation.