Introduction to the Check Tool
As of Q1 2018, SuccessFactors introduced a Check Tool for Reporting & Analytics as part of the Suite. It is available across a myriad of different applications in SuccessFactors. The full list can be found here.
In Reporting & Analytics, we have introduced some checks for our own product area to ensure that your system is configured correctly to use our tools most efficiently and to avoid creating an incident with Customer Support.
The Check Tool helps you to identify and help resolve issues when your system does not work as expected. The “Check Tool” finds out what is wrong and suggests a solution. There can be different reasons why the system might not work, such as:
- Some Data is inconsistent
- The system is not configured correctly.
In Reporting, the checks also include foundation issues, such as configuration issues, RBP issues and more.
Prerequisites in Order to Use the Check Tool:
In order to have the Check Tool, you must ensure that you have Metadata Framework (MDF) enabled. If you do not have this enabled, please engage your Implementation Partner or SAP Support in order to have instance checked from the back-end.
The required features are:
- Enable Generic Objects
- Enable the Attachment Manager
Assign Access Check Tool and Allow Configuration Export to your role in Role Based Permissions (RBP):
- Access Check Tool authorizes users to access the tool.
- Allow Configuration Export authorizes users to attach configuration information to a ticket.
How to Use the Check Tool?
- Go to Admin Centre.
- In the tools search field, type Check Tool.
- In Application, select Reporting.
- Here we now see the different checks available for Reporting. The description for each check describes the situation you wish to run a check on.
- Click the check box in the top left in the table to run all checks.
- However, I would recommend running a check one at a time for clarity.
- Click Run Checks to check your system for the check(s) you have selected.
After you run checks in the check tool, it returns the results of the check so that you can resolve issues that it found.
To see the results of the checks, look in the Results column. If you run the checks multiple times to see how you are resolving issues, look in the Previous Result column to compare the current results to previous results.
No issues found
If the tool cannot find issues, you see a green check mark the Result.
If the tool finds issues, it reports the number of issues and a yellow warning icon or a red alarm icon.
Check Tool Options Available for Reporting & Analytics:
Currently, we have 10 check available for Reporting & Analytics for different tools and issues you might face while using our Reporting Tools:
- Employee Profile Sub-Domain Schema is Available in Creating an Ad Hoc Report: Will check the Employee Profile Ad Hoc Reports are no longer available.
- HTML tags are appearing in different Ad Hoc report fields when the report is created using the Performance Management sub-domain schema: Check if “Remove HTML Tags for ad-hoc reporting on Performance Management V11” provisioning switch is enabled.
- MDF objects have autocomplete fields: Data types with autocomplete cannot be used in Reporting.
- Permissions and settings related to workflows have been set up correctly for Analytics: Check if the user role has permissions to view workflows for Analytics.
- Report Center is properly configured: Checks that Report Center has been enabled and configured to support the Search function and for using Solr.
- Role-based permissions for Online Report Designer are enabled: Role-based permission checks for Online Report Designer reports.
- The MDF object used in Reporting respects Role-based Permission: Checks whether the selected MDF Object respects the Role-based Permission for Reporting.
Performance Management Form Fields
- Performance Management form fields not supported in Ad Hoc Reporting: Identify the Performance Management form fields that are not supported in Ad Hoc Reporting.
- Performance Management form fields not supported in Online Report Designer Reporting: Identify the Performance Management form fields that are not supported in Online Report Designer.
Workforce Analytics Permission Integration
- Permission used is a role-based permission or Workforce Analytics permission: Check if the Workforce Analytics Role-Based Permissions master switch values are valid.
Tips for Check Tool:
To understand what a check does, click the Check ID. The system then displays some information on the check.
While performing a check using the Check Tool, you can quickly navigate to the KBA we have created in order to fix the issue identified by the check. To do so, please follow these steps:
- Click on Hyperlink for the Check ID.
- Under the Title & Description, click on Search for related information.
- Click on KBA in order to be brought to the KBA which will resolve the issue at hand.
Thanks for taking the time to read this blog and I hope it will help you all in optimizing SuccessFactors.
If you have any feedback or ideas on the Check Tool, please feel free to post a comment and we can align with Product Management to analyse the feasibility of introducing further checks for Reporting & Analytics.
You might still need to create a support ticket if the problem is severe, but even in severe cases, the check tool can save you time because it can export the results of the check and your configuration for support.
The support engineer, therefore, can identify the issue more quickly leading to a quicker solution for your customer!
Note: All the screenshots used in this blog are taken from Demo instance.
Reporting & Analytics Nexus EMEA