If you plan to use Fiori apps in your maintenance processes in SAP S/4HANA you may face a challenge to select proper app for your needs.
In SAP S/4HANA there are 2 Fiori apps available for creation of maintenance notification:
They have similar functional capabilities, let us discuss the differences between them to decide when to use what.
1. Request Maintenance
Request Maintenance app is designed for any employee of the organization who can and allowed to create a request to maintenance department. It is included in a default role SAP_BR_EMPLOYEE_MAINTENANCE.
It has capabilities (delta with Report Malfunction):
- Templates for long text,
- Notification type can be selected (M1 or M2 by default, for others you have to enhance the OData service),
- Notify requestor on the progress.
2. Report Malfunction
Report Malfunction app is designed mainly for technicians for to be used in Emergency Breakdown process. It is included in default role SAP_BR_MAINTENANCE_TECHNICIAN.
It has capabilities (delta with Request Maintenance):
- Failure mode selection (catalog),
- Notification type coming from customizing (planning plant of the technical object),
- Assignment to technician,
- Notification is created together with order,
- Drafts are supported (if you start creation of malfunction report and close the browser the draft is saved)
More information about Report Malfunction app is here
I hope this information will help you to decide on which Fiori app to use in your scenarios.