SuccessFactors Compensation Custom Validation – Q2 2019
As SAP SuccessFactors grows more mature, so does the number of customers and their various requirements. In the Q2 2019 release, SAP SuccessFactors Compensation included a new Custom Validation in its Beta stage (Not yet release in Production).
Customers can now define up to three formula driven validations per template. Validations can be either hard or soft stops; customers also have the ability to customize message prompts per validation.
However, the setup is a provisioning opt-in today therefore support from SAP or an implementation partner is required for now. Let’s take a look how this functionality may work for you.
First, let me cover the existing SAP SuccessFactors Compensation Validation:
Standard Guidelines Pros:
- Customers are able include multiple attributes to derive a guideline library per Comp component.
Standard Guidelines Cons:
- Only applies to standard Comp components (merit | lumpsum | lumpsum2 | extra | extra2 | promotion).
- Guideline programs do not have the ability to apply conditions which are planned in real time on the compensation worksheet. Ie. Changes to Job code on the worksheet and using new job code to drive the guideline.
- Only Standard fields and up to 3 custom fields can be used for each guideline.
Standard XML comp-salary-rule (actionOnExceed or actionOnBelow) Pros:
- Allow customers to create validation rules based on a set threshold for Compa-Ratio or Range-Penetration for the different Comp components.
- Ability to set Warn or Disallow with customized message prompts.
Standard XML comp-salary-rule (actionOnExceed or actionOnBelow) Cons:
- Only applies to standard Comp components (merit | lumpsum | lumpsum2 | extra).
- Benchmark restricted to just Compa-Ratio or Range-Penetration with a set threshold.
Standard XML comp-salary-rule (comp-force-comment-config) Pros:
- Customers are able to prompt force comment validation rules when No Increase, Increase or Increase outside of Guideline rule is violated.
Standard XML comp-salary-rule (comp-force-comment-config) Cons:
- Only applies to standard Comp components (promotion | merit | extra | extra2 | lumpsum | lumpsum2).
- Message prompts are not customizable.
Using the new Custom Validation
Scenario: The customer would like a validation to ensure Planners are not allow to issue Lump Sum payouts which are greater than that Direct Report’s total compensation increase.
- Create a Validation Flag column to check if Lump Sum amount exceeds Total Increase on the worksheet (Optional – returning value can be use for reporting if validation is a soft stop
- Add XML code logic to set hard or soft stop with validation formula (highlighted in Red)
- Add XML customized Validation Message to prompt when rule is violated. (highlighted in Green)
- Planner Mohan Kumar has 4 direct reports to plan for.
- Mohan decides to give Laurent and Michael a 20k Lump Sum amount each which violates the employer’s policy.
- Lump Sum validation flag returns the optional value for reporting and upon selecting Save, the customized message prompt appears.
I’m truly excited to see the end results once this functionality exits the Beta stage; hopefully we will end up with the ability to define more than three formula driven validations per template. I hope you have enjoyed my efforts to cover the different SAP SuccessFactors Compensation Validation options and feel free to reach out for any questions or to share your thoughts.
Leon (Han Hoe) Lee
www.veritasprime.com | www.helpmycloud.com