When you follow the downloads for Eclipse, you end up with all kinds of stuff in your Eclipse setup that you probably don’t need or want. One of the common complaints about Eclipse is that it is slow to start up. This can be due to those unwanted plug ins.
I tried removing components manually, but some of them stopped Eclipse from working at all! So I searched around, and this is how to install a minimal version, that should speed up your startup.
- Take a note of your current workspace – you’ll need it to keep your current projects and settings safe.
- Remove your current Eclipse directory – the one with eclipse.exe in it. Or rename it if you want a backup just in case.
- Go to https://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/
- In the “Latest Download” section, click on 4.11 (Since latest release is 4.11, it seems the safest) – in general you want the latest released version.
- Scroll down to Platform Runtime Binary
- Click on Windows (64 bit version) eclipse-platform-4.11-win32-x86_64.zip to download. Probably there’s a version for Mac if you’re into that kind of thing…
- Unzip the downloaded zipped file to a suitable place
- Launch eclipse from that place – pin to taskbar.
- Go to Help->Install New Software and download the software from these repositories
https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/… (latest version of the tools you want)
- Switch to the ABAP perspective and it should all work much better than before
From Marketplace I install darkest dark theme – but that’s optional. 😉