In this digital world, data plays the most important part of shaping every industry. Data can be everything e.g a contact, a picture or a spreadsheet. It is impossible for humans to remember everything this created a need to store the data.
The modern IT industry is huge and complex and can be termed as resource hungry too. Virtualization has helped companies in reducing the cost as well as helping them in better resource optimization.
In the modern world, data is in digital form and it is readily available in huge quantity. No modern organization or individual can operate a day without using some form of data. This significantly increases the risk associated with data loss. Data loss may occur due to multiple reasons and it can create catastrophic results for a company or an individual.
Virtualization has increased the IT flexibility, agility and scalability while offering significant cost savings. The usage of VMware has increased significantly in the past few years. From computer software manufacture to Insurance, its usage has increased significantly. There are many benefits of using a virtual environment for businesses such as
- Server consolidation, which helps in running applications on fewer physical servers helps in reducing the cost significantly.
- Better resource optimization helps in optimizing the computer resources that offer excessive capacity. It can help in better utilizing the computing power, storage space, and network bandwidth.
- It also allows employees to have the data readily available with the help of desktop management services. This increases the flexibility of the operation and one can work remotely without being in the office premises.
Even with the robust nature of the virtual environment, it does come with a certain amount of risks too. One of the risks of visualization is data loss. Virtual data loss types can be categorized into several types.
- Virtual disk corruption:- Virtual disk corruption can happen due to faulty hard disk storage, file transfer over a faulty network or due to an antivirus program. It can cause data loss and may display error opening an attachment error.
- Deleted files:- A human/mechanical error resulting in deletion of file From virtual file system(VFS).
- RAID/Hardware fault:- A hardware fault or Raid issue which can result in a shutdown of VMware.
- Power failures:- This type is rare however there are certain cases when an entire VMware was lost due to a power failure.
Every corporate house will agree on the fact that data loss represents a huge business risk. The data which doesn’t hold any type of monetary value can definitely effect negatively on the operation. Such high risk often is mentioned as a risk in regulatory filings and shareholder reports. There are commonly three types of data loss scenarios.
If the data is unrecoverable, the record may be lost forever or available in hard copy form. This is the worst form of data loss, any business that suffers this kind of data loss, can be considered inoperable.
In some cases, the data can be recoverable however it can take significant time to be restored. In this scenario, the data is backed up in another place away from the primary source. This is a better situation than the above-mentioned irrecoverable loss. In this type of cases, not all data may be recovered as any data that was created during the day when primary data was lost can’t be backed up and will be lost forever.
There is a completely different scenario when several applications that are not directly dependent on the data can fail. Let us take an example of a relational database that references other databases. In case of data loss in the central database in the form of customer information, billing information, etc. can cause problems with the sales. As the sales system references to customer information for billing. Here we can see, as the data is unavailable applications not directly related to lost data may fail.
In order to prevent these types of scenarios or to get help if any of this happens, one should choose a correct data recovery company. One can keep the following tips in mind while choosing a data recovery software or company.
- Does the company have an official office front:- Try to look up and find out whether they have an official business do they have a legitimate office? Ask a question about how long they are operating, as it will tell more about their success rate.
- How do they secure data:- You can ask them how your data will be stored, also you can ask for what kind of security they offer. Do they have CCTV monitoring security installed?
- How informative and helpful they are over the phone:- It is always better to talk with them and find out how informative they actually are. IT is always wise to ask them about the process, time and scale also do ask for any hidden costs. Always look for the second opinion over the web, don’t fall into the trap that offers services with nonrefundable fee.
- Are they authorized to do the work or their work voids warranty:- Check whether they are authorized data to work with the device. Always check with the manufacturer if they have any recommended vendors or service providers.
- Check for reviews:- Check their social media accounts find out if they have good numbers of positive reviews. Try searching about them on unbiased tech forums and see if anyone suggests their services.
By considering the above points, one can choose a good service or software to help them with their backup solution. One more point one should consider is how fast they can perform the backup process. Altaro VM Backup solution is one such software that can complete a VM backup in less than 15 minutes. The risk associated with data loss is indeed huge when we consider the fact that more than 34% of companies fail to run their test backup. Any organization who can’t operate because of data loss and don’t have any backup in place are likely to fail.