Trouble shooting SAP BO-DS job server stop/start issues
The SAP Business Objects Data Services Job Server retrieves the job information from its respected repository and starts the data engine to process the job.
The Job Server can move data in either batch or real-time mode and uses distributed query optimization, multi-threading, in-memory caching, in-memory data transformations, and parallel processing to deliver high data throughput and scalability.
Sometimes after maintenance the JOB server will not come up, the below Procedure describes the actions required to trouble shoot issues to start/stop Job Service in SAP Data services system.
- You have acquired data services Job server environmental variables.
using ‘Source al_env.sh’ file under $LINK_DIR\bin folder
- Tried starting Job server
You May experience below symptoms while starting/stopping Job server:
►Five to ten minutes after starting the Server Manager, you still receive messages that the AL_JobService is in active mode.
►After starting the Server Manager, the menu does not appear.
►The AL_JobService log states that the server configuration is active when the Server Manager is not running.
►Job Servers, Access Servers, or the AL_JobService continue to run after you stop the Data Services service.
►Error in svrmgr when starting Data Services Job Service:
Checking for existence of AL_JobService…
Starting AL_JobService. This may take several seconds. Please Wait!!!
Failed to start JobService. Check $LINK_DIR/log/error_JobService.log for more information.
►Error in $LINK_DIR/log/error_JobService.log:
SYSTEM: ERROR: An INSTANCE of al_jobservice already Running. Exiting!!
- Obtain the process ID of AL_JobService.
a. Using Process information.
$ ps -fu SIDADM
b. Or Open file $LINK_DIR/bin/AL_JobService.pid.
2. Kill the AL_JobService process (selected from point 1).
$ kill -15 AL_JobServicePID (i.e 7140)
3. Wait at least 30 seconds for the AL_JobService and other Data Services processes to shut down. This time period might be longer if there are many instances of Job Servers and Access Servers in the installation.
4. Verify that the AL_JobService, al_jobserver, and AL_AccessServer processes were stopped.
$ ps -fu UnixLoginId(SIDADM)
5. Kill any processes that still exist.
For each instance of the process al_jobserver:
$ kill -9 al_jobserverPID(selected from point 1)
For each instance of the process AL_AccessServer:
$ kill -9 AL_AccessServerPID
For the process AL_JobService:
$ kill -9 AL_JobServicePID
$ kill -9 al_snmpPID
6. Remove the file $LINK_DIR/log/AL_JobService.PID
7. Remove/rename any files from the $LINK_DIR/lock folder
8. If the svrcfg exists, kill the process.
$ kill -9 svrcfgPID
9. Restart the Data Services Job Service from svrmgr.
Try to start the Job service again, if there are no changes at OS level Job server should be come up now.