Latest Update: August 22, 2019 – added link back to the main blogs for Readiness Check 2.0 – i.e. SAP S/4HANA: How ready are you? and SAP Readiness Check 2.0 for SAP S/4HANA – FAQ & What’s New in Releases
Last Updated: July 14, 2019 – rewording/reformatting update for clarity & refined suggestions on initial numbers of business roles
This blog provides an overview of benefits of SAP Fiori in SAP S/4HANA and how to implement the recommendations in SAP Readiness Check.
You can find out more about the general topic of SAP Readiness Check 2.0 in these blogs:
Business value of SAP Fiori
SAP Fiori is how business users consume SAP S/4HANA innovations
Fiori launchpad is the single entry point with role based access for SAP Fiori apps, as well as classic UIs (SAP GUI, Web Dynpro for ABAP ) which also have Fiori Visual Theme applied for a uniform look and feel.
All business users using the Fiori launchpad also profit from the following benefits as demonstrated in The SAP Fiori User Experience for SAP S/4HANA:
- Enterprise Search – Find objects by keyword (e.g. a document number, or a customer reference, or a full/partial id or name) & launch related apps immediately as demonstrated in Find things quickly and easily using the SAP Fiori launchpad
- Notifications – Take immediate action on workflows, CoPilot chats, or Smart Business Alerts
- SAP CoPilot – Digital assistant for enterprise (collaborate, create quick drafts, learn & get help)
- Me area – e.g. App Finder, Recently and frequently used apps, Settings
- Personalization and User Assistance – Simplify your work by e.g. setting your default values, default search filters, reorganize your home page, hide/show cards in Overview Pages, etc.
SAP Fiori apps provide a flexible navigation approach that supports enterprise work
Tiles & links on the Fiori launchpad are the entry point to tasks. These entry points provide domain-specific information and action providing insight to action.
Insight to action – Get an overview of what needs attention with overview pages, list reports, and work lists. Trigger quick actions or drill down to the next level of detail to explore in depth and act.
Explore in depth and act via seamless navigation to a variety of app types & technologies:
- Reimagined and role-based SAP Fiori apps (analytical, transactional, object pages) for faster execution with fewer clicks (as demonstrated in Experience Transformation with SAP Fiori UX) ; with intelligent enterprise features built-in (as demonstrated in Manage Project Resource Utilization Quickly and Easily (SAP Fiori UX for SAP S/4HANA)), including the high-value SAP Fiori Lighthouse apps
- Classic UI applications (SAP GUI transactions, Web Dynpro for ABAP applications) in the browser with SAP Fiori visual theme
- URLs, e.g. links to SAP Cloud solution apps, 3rd party apps, and other web-accessible corporate sites
SAP Fiori provides native and flexible navigation tailored to your device from app-to-app, and from app-to-classic UIs. Business roles are delivered as a holistic set of related apps. Business roles are adjustable via configuration & authorizations.
What analysis is done by SAP Readiness Check 2.0
SAP Readiness Check takes your existing SAP ERP Transaction usage as a basis for SAP Fiori app recommendations. These recommendations can be introduced in phases for managing the pace of organizational change, as explained further in the section Implementation Recommendation of this blog.
SAP Readiness Check will automatically recommend relevant Business Roles and related SAP Fiori apps likely to be of most interest. From that list you can jump to the related Fiori Apps Library entry to find out more about the SAP Fiori app itself and browse through implementation and configuration information.
Out of all SAP Fiori Apps that are relevant for you, you will find highlighted highest innovation value Lighthouse apps. These are the recommended starting point for organizing your internal discussions with your business stakeholders. As you hold those discussions you can refine your initial target list of Business Roles by marking those in/out of scope; & mark as Favorites the related apps of highest interest that you want to explore first in your S/4HANA system.
You will need to:
- Discuss the list of selected Business Roles with your stakeholders
- Adjust which Business Roles are in scope
- Activate and deploy the selected Business Roles and their related apps for deeper exploration, e.g. using Fiori Rapid Content Activation
Note: If you already have a Fiori implementation, you may need to migrate existing apps to SAP S/4HANA. Please see the Additional Information section of this blog for advice.
The SAP Fiori launchpad and SAP Fiori in SAP S/4HANA content can be introduced using a wide range of approaches for managing the pace of organizational change.
A typical SAP S/4HANA project has multiple phases. In the initial phase the Fiori launchpad is established as the single entry point, with at least one showcase business role to actively demonstrate the new business value of SAP S/4HANA innovations. In subsequent phases, the value of SAP S/4HANA is increased by introducing more SAP S/4HANA innovations via SAP Fiori.
Phase 1 – Provide benefits for all users & showcase selected innovations
Provide a Single Entry point – Implement SAP Fiori Launchpad and realise the generic benefits it provides.
Activate key SAP business user roles selected from the Fiori Apps Library:
- Focus on at least one high priority business role as your showcase of S/4HANA innovation. Recommendation is to aim for 2-5 roles to cover all roles in an end-to-end business process (e.g. Requestor + Approver; Requestor + Reviewer + Approver + Processor + Responsible Owner).
- In addition, make sure you implement the 3 special business roles (as a minimum in your development environment) for your S/4HANA project team to customize and extend other SAP Fiori apps: Administrator, Analytics Specialist, and Business Process Specialist
- All apps for your chosen roles can be activated using Fiori Rapid Content Activation
Explore the SAP business role on your sandbox to understand how apps are intended to work together to complete a business user’s daily tasks
- Understand the key SAP Fiori apps for that business user role; especially the SAP Fiori Lighthouse apps that bring high-value S/4HANA innovations
- Discuss & confirm the fit with your stakeholders
Follow the approach below if standard business roles are not an exact fit:
- Copy the SAP business role to refine the list of which apps you want to use
- Supplement them with additional Fiori apps from the Fiori Apps library for your chosen LoB/Industry
- Supplement them with your own custom-built Fiori apps
- Supplement them with classic UI apps from Fiori Apps reference library that you deem “must retain” for your users or specific business process
- If needed, adjust app-to-app and app-to-classic UI navigation (identify this requirement during fit-gap)
Remember activated Fiori apps may need to be customized to reflect any business process enhancements you might have:
Maximize user adoption by reviewing and fine-tuning for each business role:
- Home page content – should contain the most frequent & most important apps for the business role, organized in a way that makes sense for the business user.
- Personalization defaults
Phase 2 – Broaden the scope of SAP Fiori coverage
Add additional business roles to include more of your user base
Additionally use SAP Fiori Client to deploy apps onto mobile devices.
Implement SAP CoPilot (please check subscription pre-requisites)
Additional information – Migrating existing Fiori apps from Business Suite or Suite on HANA
You may need to migrate existing SAP Fiori apps delivered by SAP, and/or existing custom Fiori apps created by your own developers or your partners.
Many SAP Fiori apps provided for the Business Suite are replaced by successor apps in SAP S/4HANA
- The content and behavior of successor apps can be significantly different than predecessor versions. Perform fit-gap for successor apps as you would for any new Fiori app.
- You can use the Fiori Apps reference library & the Maintenance Planner to confirm which apps are supported in S/4HANA, and to identify successor apps.
- For Add-Ons, you can use the Product Availability Matrix to check if the related software components are supported on your SAP FIORI FOR S/4HANA version.
Migrating existing custom Fiori apps is usually possible
Some adjustments may be required:
- Check the Fiori 2.0 welcome pack SAP Fiori 2.0 – What you need to know for guidance on how to adjust Fiori 1.0 apps to Fiori 2.0 design.
- Check the SAP S/4HANA Simplification List for changes to database tables used by your custom apps.
- Note: You must make changes if your custom app writes to database tables and those tables have been replaced or changed in SAP S/4HANA.
Which other services and tools does SAP offer to support you
Explore, plan and implement SAP Fiori, the latest user experience from SAP including all relevant content for the SAP Fiori launchpad. For SAP S/4HANA the main filters are:
- SAP Fiori apps for SAP S/4HANA
- All Apps for SAP S/4HANA – this includes Classic UIs that can also be launched from the SAP Fiori launchpad
- SAP Fiori Lighthouse apps – all the apps mentioned in the SAP Fiori Lighthouse apps document
Discover which SAP Fiori Apps fit to your situation. Take just five minutes to request your personalized, free SAP Fiori Apps Recommendations Report within five business days.
You will need to submit your latest productive ERP or SAP S/4HANA system
data and your month’s transaction workload (ST03N).