LiveCache LCA build update
Here we will go through step by step installation/update process of a new version of SAP MaxDB, SAP DB or liveCache. We will be using SDBUPD tool which is a command line tool to install/update the LCA build.
Our SAP environment details:
SAP SCM version – SAP SCM 7.0 EHP 02, SP 0007
OS version – Windows 2008 R2
DB Version – MSSQL server 2012 SP04
Current LiveCache Version Details – (Check this in LCA13 T-Code)
LCA Version – Release: 100, Build: 10 Patch: 4
Livecache version – 7.9.08
Target LiveCache Version Details –
LCA Version – Release: 100, Build: 42 Patch: 1
Livecache version – 7.9.09
- Use the relevant SAP Note to check the operating system prerequisites: 919224 System
- Requirement Windows X64 MaxDB/liveCache 7.x.
- For our environment we have to Implement SAP Note 2591536 in our SCM system to apply latest patch. This SAP Notes has some perquisites SAP Notes as well which needs to be implemented. Below is the Sequence of SAP Notes implemented in our SAP environment prior to the Upgrade. Implement the SAP Notes using SNOTE T-Code in below sequence.
- Log on to the SAP Software Download Center to download the target LCA package.
- Support Packages and Patches
- SAP SCM
- SAP SCM ENHANCE PACKAGE
- EHP2 FOR SAP SCM 7.0
- Entry by Component
- SAP LiveCache
- SAP LC/LCAPPS 10.0
- Check Current Version of LiveCache in SAP using LCA13 T-Code
- Import the new version:
- Switch to a temporary directory (for example, C:\temp).
- Unpack the SAR package in the temporary directory:
SAPCAR -xvf <file_name>.SAR
- Before importing the software, stop the SAP liveCache with the liveCache assistant (transaction LC10).
- Stop the SAP system & its Services at OS level, since this retains RFC connections to the SAP liveCache kernel (alert monitor in LC10) that cause the program DBMRFC to be executed even if all SAP liveCache database and tools have been exited.
- Login at OS level with <SID>ADM user
- Open a command prompt and call the tool SDBUPD in the created directory lca100<LCA_build>_livecache-<os>-64bit-<arch>-<build>. Hit below command
SDBUPD -d <liveCache_name> -u <dbm_operator>,<password> -update_global
(for example: SDBUPD -d LC1 -u control,control -update_global)
- Below screen pops-up
- After the update the above screen exists
- You can check your installation/update logs in SDBUPDMsg*.log files placed at path <LCA Setup Drive>:\sapdb\data\wrk
- Update completed successfully
- Bring up SAP services and applications.
- Bring up the SAP and Livecache using LC10 T-code.
- Verify the Updated LC versions using LCA13 T-Code
Note: Use LCA build update package to patch and not MaxDB. MaxDB will be updated automatically afterwards.
Reference SAP Note – 1529690
As you can see we have successfully performed update of Livecache LCA build to the target release using SDBUPD tool. We have learnt how to update LCA, check logs during update & usage of SDBUPD tool. You can also use SDBSETUP tool which is graphical tool to apply patches (Refer SAP Note: 1092397).