How to change the region in your Cloud Foundry trial
Have you created a Cloud Foundry trial account and later realized some of the services you wanted to use were only available in a different region? Don’t fret – there is an easy solution to that problem and I’ll walk you through it in this post.
When you first create a Cloud Foundry trial account, you get a trial global account and you choose a region for the first subaccount, which is automatically created for you. However, the Cloud Foundry trial allows you to create additional subaccounts in the other regions available on trial. To do so, you just need to follow a few simple steps:
- From your trial home, navigate into your trial account by choosing Enter Your Trial Account. This takes you into your Cloud Foundry trial global account.
- In your global account, choose New Subaccount to create an additional subaccount in a different region:
- You’ll get a dialog where you can enter the details of your new subaccount. The display name is mandatory and since you’re in the Cloud Foundry trial, you can only choose Cloud Foundry under Environment.
- Once you’ve chosen the Cloud Foundry environment from the dropdown, new fields are added to the dialog. Choose the infrastructure provider and the region that you’d like to use in the new subaccount. Add a subdomain for the subaccount (this should be a unique string) and optionally enable beta features. Once you’ve filled in all the details, choose Create.
Now you’ve created an additional Cloud Foundry subaccount in another region. You can see a new tile was added in your global account:
However, unlike the first automatically-created subaccount, you’ll need to manually create an organization and space in this new subaccount in order to be able to use it.
To do so, follow these additional steps:
- Navigate into your newly created subaccount by clicking on its tile and choose Enable Cloud Foundry to create an organization.
- A new section called Spaces will become visible on the page. Choose Create Space and enter the details to create a space in your new Cloud Foundry subaccount.
You now have an additional region available in your Cloud Foundry trial account. There is just one more thing left to do: re-assign entitlements.
When you first create your trial account, all the quotas for the Cloud Foundry services available on trial are automatically assigned to the one subaccount that is created for you. If you then create additional subaccounts, you must re-assign these entitlements and split them accordingly. To learn more about how to do that, see Configure Entitlements and Quotas for Subaccounts.
Now you’re all set!
If you ever want to switch between subaccounts in different regions, simply navigate back to the global account by using the breadcrumbs at the top and choose a different subaccount.
Thank you for this useful blog.
I also want to know, how can I change the region in my Neo trial?
Thanks and best regards,
Thanks for your question! In the Neo environment we only have one region for trial, so unfortunately it is impossible to switch.
This is a very useful article. We use it within Developer Relations for a number of purposes. Thanks for putting it together.
With the recent revisions to the Cloud Platform Cockpit though, these instructions need a refresh -- the breadcrumbs no longer have drop-downs and the region is now selected in the "new subaccount" dialog
Could you refresh this blog to reflect those changes? -- thanks!
Thanks for the feedback. I’ve updated the blog post now
HOw to change/add service/entitlement for SAP product footprint management? Please help.
Can I quickly jump in and suggest the following tutorial: Manage Entitlements Using the Cockpit.