Today I want to explain to newbies what SAP Data Management Suite is and why it made its way into the SAP portfolio of various solutions. In addition, I will also shed some light on why a user should put security on the first place while building and implementing a new solution. Proper user authentication and system access restrictions should be implemented along with VPN services, and antivirus suites.
Some time ago, creating enterprise resource management solutions, SAP mostly focused on working with the standard business processes. This way the Business Suite was made. Now, this focus has moved to data management.
New goals need a more powerful, flexible and functional platform. Before turning any data into analytics and use it for business decisions, you must put this data in order first.
Working with big data, businesses usually receive a lot of inconsistent and diverse information from multiple sources. This all happens very quickly, and data amounts are colossal.
SAP Data Management Suite is a solution intended to help manage data in a corporation. At the same time, it is a platform for business applications that utilize corporate data.
The core of all architecture is SAP HANA. It is an analytical “storehouse” that lets you grant access to corporate information, including multi-temperature storage.
At the same time, SAP HANA is a platform for running various business apps. In the latter case, SAP HANA offers the following features:
- Application server.
- Tools to manage decision lifecycle.
- Text analysis tools.
- Possibility to work with geolocation data.
- Built-in mathematical components necessary to create machine learning and predictive models.
- IoT extensions and connectors.
This allows you to have all the necessary tools for creating your own innovative solutions.
Although the new concept of Data Management Suite was introduced just recently, a lot of SAP clients all around the globe, in all sectors of the economy, are already working with HANA implementing different business scenarios. Let’s see some of them:
- SAP HANA can be used as a high-speed database for SAP app. It may combine both analytical and transactional capabilities including in-memory calculations. It allows to significantly simplify the overall architecture.
- SAP HANA can be used as a database for products built by SAP partners like Upstream Field Asset Management.
- Analytical repository. To accomplish this, HANA includes platform integration tools, multi-temperature data storage functionality, quick processing of analytical requests in memory.
- Applications for processing geo-data. For example, it can be used for tools intended to manage city critical infrastructure – sewage, electricity, or water supply systems as well as different solutions for the agricultural
- The SAP HANA comes with predictive libraries that can be used to create solutions based on machine learning. You can integrate the R language and use TensorFlow. Such solutions can help to forecast equipment service and repairing or for example forecast financial indicators.
- SAP HANA can be used as an IoT development platform. In cooperation with OSIsoft special connectors were created that allow receiving and processing data from IoT device sensors.
SAP Data Hub
One more element of this architecture is SAP Data Hub which is a powerful ETL tool. SAP Data Hub is needed to manage a large array of all corporate data coming from production systems, warehouses, and other sources. HANA helps to obtain data and Data Hub helps to manage it.
SAP Data Hub concentrates in itself all tasks. It extracts data, processes it, transforms, enriches and transfers it to final “consumer” services. SAP Data Hub has a simple interface for creating data flows. It easy to use it even with big and complex infrastructure.
The main ways to use SAP Data Hub:
- Internet of Things scenarios. SAP Data Hub may process raw data coming from numerous sensors and bring data to one format.
- Creating machine learning solutions. Here you always face a large amount of data, often stored in Apache Hadoop. SAP Data Hub automates the process of requesting and processing data kept in the repository.
- Building integrated storage for big data that implies plenty of data sources each with different speed and structure.
Big Data processing and storage tools is one more crucial part of the corporate data management platform. Creating solutions using big data requires having distributed storage systems consisting of structured and unstructured data. SAP provides PaaS solutions on its SCP platform. You also need to ensure the smooth flow and processing of big data, and here SCP IoT services can help.
Enterprise Architecture Designer
Finally, Enterprise Architecture Designer helps to quickly launch new solutions and make your operations more productive. This tool is intended for the development of corporate IT architecture. Enterprise Architecture Designer allows building an optimal architecture that meets all the requirements of IT departments and also your business needs.
Again, repeating what was said in the beginning, I want to stress that when building and implementing any new solution, security should be put on the first place. User training and education should include cyberattack scenarios. People are always your most vulnerable line. In addition to that, proper user authentication and file system access rights are very important. Malware scanning with antivirus tools will also help securing your infrastructure.