AS91 – Asset Master Upload.
ASSET Master Upload
The purpose of this document is to provide brief overview on Asset Master Data upload process in the SAP system. This document is for the consultants who are doing first time Asset Master Data Upload. At the time of upload they face a lot of doubts, question as how to carry out the upload in the system. This is a very basic document for Asset Master Data upload.
For my blog videos, please click on below link.
There are 2 kinds of Asset Master Upload during cut over. Mid Year and Year End.
Below is the scope of the blog.
- Year End Upload/Midyear Upload
- Asset Master/Transaction Data reset
- Files for Year End Upload
- Files for Mid Year Upload
- Asset Balance Upload
In this document we will focus on Midyear upload as this process cover year end upload too.
- Year End Upload/Midyear Upload
- Setting of Date in the system.
This is the most important step for Asset Master Data upload. If you have midyear upload, for e.g. 28.02.2019, you have to mention this date in the system. Please see below screenshot.
Once the date is mentioned in above screen, set the year and Period. Please see below screenshot. Once you put the year and period, Depreciation field for current year in AS91 is activated. This will be explained in coming screens. We have provided year as 2019 and period as 2.
- Uploading of Asset Master Data through AS91. Assets Acquired before 01.01.2019
When you are uploading Asset Master Data in midyear, first upload all assets acquired before 01.01.2019. This will have 3 fields. Cumulative Acquisition value, Accumulated Ordinary Depreciation and Ordinary Depreciation Posted. It means Cumulative Acquisition value and Accumulated Ordinary Depreciation will have values till 31.12.2018. For depreciation from 01.01.2019 to 28.02.2019 will be posted in Ordinary Depreciation Posted.
Enter Asset Class and Company code.
Enter all details as per your requirement.
Date ‘Capitalized On’ is most important date. This will come from legacy file. This date is mandatory and you cannot upload without this. After you enter all Master Data details, click on takeover box in below field.
Enter Value in Cumulative Acquisition value and Accumulated Depreciation as shown below.
Enter Ordinary Depreciation for 01.01.2019 to 28.02.2019 in below field. This Ord. Dep. Posted field is activated when Mid Year date is provided in above steps.
- Uploading of Asset Master Data through AS91. Assets Acquired On or After 01.01.2019
In this scenario, all the steps will be same as below. Only Capitalization date will differ.
Capitalization date in below screen will be 01.01.2019 or any date later than this.
When you put the date of 2019, below screen will appear. All fields are blurred. You cannot enter any amount here. Click on Transactions field shown in below screen.
In below screen, enter Asset Value date, Transaction type and Amount in book depreciation. If you have more depreciation area, enter in all areas. Here we are just entering in 01. Click on save button. Transactions means all assets purchased on or after 01.01.2019 and this have to be entered as shown below.
In this way Asset master is uploaded in SAP during cut over. If you find any mismatch in the values, you can erase and re-upload the data in the system.
2. Asset Master/Transaction Data reset
What if in last moment its identified that entire Asset Master/Transaction data uploaded are incorrect? Nothing to worry. Reset asset data for respective company code as shown in below screenshot.
If you select line item, it will delete all transaction data. If you do not select, it will delete all Master/Transaction data.
Proper approvals to be taken before deleting this data.
Once data are deleted, post GL entries through ABF1L tcode. Refer my blog for ABF1L
3. Files for Year End Upload
Please note below points for Year End Upload.
- Only one file is required from client for the year end.
- In amount column it will have
- Acquisition amount and
- Accumulated depreciation.
Year end uploads is very simple.
4. Files for Mid Year Upload
Please note below points for Mid Year Upload.
- Two files will be required for Mid year upload from the client.
- 1st for year end. In our case it will be 31.12.2018. This file will have all asset acquired till 31.12.2018 This file will have 3 amounts.
- Acquisition cost,
- Accumulated Depreciation and
- Depreciation posted for 2 period
- 2nd file for 2019 acquisition. This should have Acquisition date and below amounts
- Acquisition amount,
- Ordinary Depreciation posted for 2 months.
Before carrying out AS91, below items should be verified.
- Depreciation keys are created.
- Asset Class are unlocked.
- Cost Centers are created.
- Configuration is moved to production.
- GLs are maintained in AO90.
- GLs are created.
- Cost Centers are unblocked.
- Correct uploads dates and periods are maintained in SPRO.
- Check AJRW and AJAB settings are verified. This is very important. While upload any error is received first check this.
- Program to upload the asset master is ready. Test data are uploaded.
- …….and could be many more.
Adopting correct reconciliation approach is very essential. If reconciled with correct approach, will save lot of time. Else it would require few days to complete this activity. Please note below points for reconciliation:
- Reconcile at Asset Class level first. This will give clear picture as which class are not tallying and where to drill down.
- Reconcile at Cost center level post Asset Class reconciliation above.
- Reconcile at Asset level post cost center reconciliation above.
- Educate above approach to user as it will save time.
- Put old asset number in Inventory number field for tracking.
- Do not tick Negative values while uploading. This will prevent uploads of Negative NBV Asset.
- Request separate file for Sub Number assets.
- Upload Asset Balance using ABF1L transaction code instead of OASV.
8. Asset Balance Upload
- Do not use OASV to upload Asset balance.
- Use ABF1L to upload Asset Balance.
- ABF1L can also be used to post entries in future.
- ABF1L allows to post entries in Asset Recon. Account.
Please refer my blog https://blogs.sap.com/2019/03/13/asset-reconciliation-account-posting/ for detail steps.
Q What is the difference between year end and mid year upload?
A Year end upload is pretty simpler. It will have only one file template to upload. Mid Year Upload will have 2 files templates.
Q What additional details are required in Mid Year Upload?
A Mid year upload requires below additional detail
– Depreciation posted for current Fiscal Year along with Cost, Accumulated Dep.
– Asset Purchased during the current year.
Q What are the tcode for upload of asset master?
A AS91 to Create, AS92 to change and AS93 to display Asset Master
Q What additional settings are required for mid year upload
A In SPRO, you need to maintain Period of current fiscal year till which you will upload the closing balance.
Q What happens when you maintain the period in SPRO?
A Depreciation Amount field gets activated in AS91 when you maintain the period in SPRO
Q What if Asset Master upload fails and tomorrow is go live?
A First Reset asset master data at company code level. Path – Financial Accounting (New) – Asset Accounting – Preparing for Production Startup – Tools – Reset Company Code
Then Post entries in ABF1L
Q Does ABF1L allows posting in Reconciliation Account?
A Yes. No need to use OASV.
Q How to reconcile the data uploaded with file?
A Adopt systematic approach. Begin with Macro level, then Mid and then at micro level. Macro is at asset class level. Tally your data in File with SAP data at asset class level.
Q At time of first upload, sometime system throws error. How to handle that?
A Check AJRW or AJAB or if Depreciation area is blocked.
Q What is the best tool to upload the asset master?
A LSMW is best tool to upload the Asset Master in ECC.
Q What is the pre-checks for Asset Upload?
A There are many but some important ones are below
Cost/Profit Center Created and Active
GL created and not blocked.
Internal order created and active
Configuration is completed
Dep Keys are created
Asset Class are created.
Dep area are unblocked at Asset Class level
Templates are ready and filled correctly.
Templates are properly Explained to Client
Q What if few assets are created in other asset class?
A Either delete or block if for future use.
Q How to avoid Major blunder in Asset Upload?
A Upload few assets in each asset class and send for client review. After approval, upload remaining asset.
Q How to create a link between Legacy and SAP data?
A Update inventory number field in SAP with Legacy asset number. This may help in correcting, changing or reconciling the data.
Q How to upload assets having negative value?
A Check neg values allowed in dep area in asset master. Upload.
Q How to handle sub numbers?
A Create separate LSMW for sub number. Ask client to provide separate file for assets have sub numbers.
Q When you upload asset master, GL entries are also posted in FI?
A No. Only asset balances are uploaded. Nothing is posted in FI
Q How GL entries are posted?
A GL entries are posted through OASV or ABF1L.
Q How AUC is posted?
A Project system will upload WBS values and settle to AUC. No action from Finance.
Q After go live can we upload missed assets?
A Yes. But take proper approval from higher management
Q How to receive the file from client?
A Avoid file exchange on email. Tell client to upload file in client. Ser the SOP for this
Q Which Transaction Type is used for Current Year Acquisition?
A Transaction Type 100
Q What is the Default Depreciation Key for AUC?
A 0000 should be the default depreciation key
I hope this document is helpful to you.
CA Zunaid Hingora
Good information about AS91