Migrate Legacy positions in SuccessFactors Employee Central to MDF Positions
You will come across this scenario when your customer is already live with Succession Planning (using legacy positions) and now they want to implement Employee Central with Position Management.
There are 2 ways to migrate legacy positions to MDF positions as given below –
- Configure MDF Positions and manually migrate.
- Use the Migration Tool to automatically change the configuration and migrate the position and nomination data.
If you configure the MDF Positions nomination method manually, you should also consider migrating the following items from Legacy Positions –
- Position data: to migrate Position data, first export the Position Model when you are still on Legacy Positions, adjust the format and then import it when you changed the nomination method to MDF Positions.
- Nominations data: while you are on Legacy Positions, run a report to export all nominations. Refer this more information.
- Once the nomination method is changed, import the nominations data using the Import Successors feature. Refer this for more information.
- Ad Hoc Reports: you should capture the definitions and samples of any existing reports prior changing the nomination method, so that they can be recreated afterwards with MDF positions, as the report types for Legacy Positions will no longer be available.
If you plan to use Migration tool to automatically change the configuration and migrate the position and nomination data –
The Migration Tools completes the configuration for MDF Positions and copies the Position data and Nominations data. But, you’d still need to migrate Ad Hoc Reports. You can take screenshots of report definitions.
With Legacy positions you have below report categories available –
- Inclusive Succession (Position based nominations)
- Succession (Position based nominations)
- Succession History (Position based nominations)
After the migration, you have below report categories –
- Inclusive Succession (MDF Position based nominations)
- Succession (MDF Position based nominations)
- Succession History (MDF Position based nominations)
I would also suggest you to take a backup of the nomination history by running an Ad Hoc Report Succession History before you run the migration tool just in case there are errors while executing migration tool or something is messed up by not following proper steps.
You can run this tool from Provisioning under the Succession nomination section. Once the execution is done you can download the report for validation. The migration tool does allow you to undo the changes but that’s not recommended. You should undo only in case of extreme condition. So you have to do a proper evaluation before even trying to undo the changes done by migration tool. Also, note that the undo process might result in loss of successors.
Note: If you are using migration tool then make sure Position Management is enabled after migration.