Life-cycle management of PDI solutions
Solution development best practices
- Ensure all the relevant details like email address, description etc. are correctly maintained in the Solution Properties section while creating a solution. This ensures that the automated status mails triggered as part of the Solution life-cycle processes (activate, Split assembly etc.) reach the solution owner.
- As a best practice, a solution should always be developed in one tenant throughout the life-cycle of the solution.
- Original and Patch are two namespaces for a given solution, technically these are two different solutions and do not share any data.
- If test data is created in an Original solution, it will not get copied to patch during the first time patch creation. As a best practice, test data should be created on the patch namespace as the data created on patch will always be present throughout the life-cycle of the patch.
Life Cycle management for “Development” Solutions:
- All life-cycle management processes for a solution should be performed by a user having default logon language as English.
- Disabling a solution results in loss of BC fine tuning data.
- The extension field storage limit for a BO node combination is 744, please check the warning messages displayed on the SDK while activation XBO/BO.
- If a standard form is enhanced in a PDI solution, please Save and Publish the form on the UI, after making changes.
- A standard form( if not used in a PDI solution) should not be edited by a PDI developer user on the UI.
- A custom form( created using Cloud studio) should not be edited by a Key user on the UI.
Patch Solution Development:
- Patch creation runs in background mode, before starting the process, refresh and make sure the solution is in development state.
- When the patch solution is created for the first time, it has to be explicitly activated and enabled for a business user.
- Initial patch solution is a copy of original solution – Only the meta objects are copied, no transactional data or configuration data is copied.
- One can toggle between patch and original solution. However, any custom configuration ( BC views ) value maintained by the user would be lost.
- Extension fields created in patch and original solution are visible for objects like standard report data source, web service, Odata as a result you might see duplicate fields. As a best practice, do not use PDI development tenant for Key User Configuration.
- The business user will see the PDI customization based on enabled solution (patch/original).
- Business users should be used for testing purposes.
- Key user changes should NOT be performed by a PDI development user.
- Inconsistent changes in patch solution are not allowed.
- Few content types are not allowed for deletion in maintenance mode to avoid inconsistencies and data loss. Please refer to the help documentation section 6.9 for more details.
- Deletion of artifacts created in the current version is allowed.