Migration of bookmarks between Design Studio and Lumira Designer systems
This article aims to facilitate the process of migrating dashboards and their bookmarks from Design Studio 1.X to Lumira Designer 2.X. It also applies to transporting bookmarks between systems with the same versions.
The promotion of bookmarks between platforms has not always been supported, and there are a series of limitations that apply depending on the scenario. Please go through this article and the latest SAP notes on this topic before performing the migration.
The promotion of bookmarks is supported from the following versions:
- BIP 4.1 SP12 or greater
- BIP 4.2 SP4 or greater
- Design Studio 1.6 SP7 or greater
- Lumira Designer 2.1 SP2 or greater
Using older versions of the systems may work partially, but the validation has been performed from the ones specified in this article. So no support will be provided in those scenarios.
It is recommended to use the latest version available of both platform and client for better performance.
Migration of Design Studio 1.X applications with Design Studio 1.X bookmarks
There are different types of bookmarks in Design Studio 1.X:
- Standard Bookmark. It saves the state of the whole application. Any changes made on the application afterwards will make the bookmark obsolete. This type of bookmark is deprecated, and its use is not recommended.
- Fragment Bookmark. It saves the state of a container selection.
- Portable Fragment Bookmark. It saves the state of a container selection, and can be loaded from different applications.
- 1.X Personalization. The default state in which an application loads when launched, without using a bookmark. This is an extension of a Standard bookmark, which means that the same limitations apply when changes are made to the application. 1.6 personalization is also obsolete, and its use is not recommended.
Since the CUID (unique identifier) of Standard bookmarks and 1.X Personalizations changes when being exported, they cannot be promoted between systems. This behavior is by design. See Note https://i7p.wdf.sap.corp/sap/sapnotes/0002675785
Only when a BI platform system is upgraded will the Standard bookmarks and 1.X Personalizations that were on the platform, keep working. This is due to the fact that the bookmarks have not been transported from one system to another (the CUID doesn’t change).
It is strongly recommended to avoid using Standard bookmarks because they are inflexible and also deprecated.
Transporting bookmarks and applications
The following process describes how to transport 1.X applications with Fragment and Portable Fragment bookmarks. Same applies when transporting 2.X applications with 2.X bookmarks:
- In Central Management Console go to Promotion Management > New Job.
- Source: localhost.
- Destination: Output to LCMBIAR File.
- Add the 1.X Design Studio application(s) to be promoted.
- Add the 1.X Fragment and Portable Fragment bookmarks to be promoted.
- Add any other necessary objects that the applications have dependencies on (users, folders, OLAP connections, etc).
- Promote and save the .lcmbiar file on the local file system.
- In the destination server go to Promotion Management in CMC.
- Import the .lcmbiar file previously created.
- Promote the .lcmbiar file and wait for a minute. The status should be Success.
- Open your application and load bookmarks.
Fragment bookmarks and Portable Fragment bookmarks can be promoted from 1.6 SP7 to 1.6 SP7, to Lumira 2.1 SP2 or higher and to Lumira 2.2 or higher.
Migration of Design Studio 1.X applications with Design Studio 1.X bookmarks into Lumira Designer 2.X
Application and bookmark objects transported through Promotion Management will have the same CUID on the destination system. Fragment and Portable Fragment bookmarks will work as they did in DS 1.X.
The application type on Lumira Designer 2.X after the migration is performed will be SAP BusinessObjects BI Platform Legacy Mode (it won’t be .lumx).
In case we want to have the equivalent application in SAP Lumira Documents Mode (.lumx) the application needs to be one of the following:
- Imported from the client as a .zip file into Lumira Documents Mode. The application needs to be previously exported into a .zip file from 1.X.
- Re-created manually from scratch. It is possible to have both clients -say Design Studio 1.6 SP7 and Lumira Designer 2.2- open in parallel, which speeds up the process when recreating an application.
If we replicate the application in .lumx mode (by either importing the previously exported zip file in the client or by re-creating it), then the bookmarks promoted can’t be used in these applications. The application CUID has changed. For that reason the bookmarks also need to be re-created manually in order to work on .lumx mode.
Based on the previous information our recommendation is to either:
A. Transport a 1.X application and its Fragment and Portable Fragment bookmarks into Legacy Mode.
The application can be transported into 2.X and stay as Legacy Mode without making any more relevant changes on the dashboard.
B. Recreate the 1.X application and its bookmarks on a .lumx document.
Create the document from scratch using the BOOKMARKS TECHNICAL COMPONENT instead.
2.X bookmarks will be more robust, flexible and powerful than 1.X bookmarks so its usage is greatly encouraged.
Also note that 1.X bookmark APIs are deprecated on 2.X so using 2.X bookmarks is strongly recommended.
Promotion of 2.X applications and their bookmarks
Bookmarks on 2.X have been significantly improved and simplified compared to 1.X bookmarks. The types of bookmarks on 2.X are:
- 2.X bookmark. It saves the state of a selected group of components. Making changes on the application won’t interfere with the bookmarks, unless we remove elements that are part of the bookmark technical component.
- 2.X personalization. A 2.X bookmark needs to be created first and then used to be referenced to when creating the 2.x personalization.
2.X bookmarks and 2.X Personalizations can be promoted using the system versions specified at the beginning of this article.
The steps to promote bookmarks between 2.X systems are the same as for 1.X sytems. Make sure that all the necessary objects are added to the promotion job in order to keep consistency after the transport. That includes users (bookmarks owners), OLAP connections, bookmark folders, etc.
Related SAP Notes
Promotion of Bookmarks from a system running Design Studio 1.6 SP7 BIP AddOn
Fragment and Portable Fragment bookmarks are missing property values when promoted to another system through Promotion Management
1.6_SP7. Analysis Application error when loading a promoted application with Standard Bookmarks and/or Personalization