How to Create Cloud Data Sources – Analytics
I am creating this blog to assist especially new Key Users who are creating or trying to better understand how Cloud Data Sources Work.
General Idea is to share a very basic information related Cloud Data Sources and to provide bit more advanced information and where to find more technical information that can be helpful for this topic.
Creating Cloud Data Sources
Cloud Data Sources are common used to upload data from some external sources into your system, making it possible to create reports to analyze this data and make use for Business requirement.
- To create a cloud data source, go to Business Analytics Work Center and then Design Data Sources;
- Click on Create New Cloud Data Source;
- In this screen you will have some options to define your Cloud Data Source, they are:
– Data Source ID: Different from SAP Standard Data Sources that already have an ID and its ID cannot be re-defined, Cloud Data Sources allows you to define an ID to it. Only restriction here is that it must start with Z.
– Name: For the name of your Cloud Data Source.
– Description: To make it easy to understand what data is in there. Be careful is you are looking forward to upload data for this data source manually, don’t forget to mark option Manual Data Upload.
- In the Data Source Field area, you can use Add Row to add the fields you would like. Be aware there is a limitation of maximum number of characteristics which is 15. The total number of fields in a cloud Data Source is 150.
Something very common in errors involving Cloud Data Source Data uploads, is the fact the parameters are being mistaken hence the system could not recognize it.
A very useful Blog to guide you through this technical matters can be found in Cloud Data Source: Creation and Manual Upload.
Sometimes, there are errors related to the length of the fields that are 60 characters longer. In fact it happens because you can choose the field to be length longer than 60 but current system will not allow it as explained in this document 2552658 – Field length in Cloud Data Sources
The documents and instructions above, will give you very good material to find out how Cloud Data Source works and how to check most common mistakes when creating it.
If you found this blog to be helpful, please be sure to Follow and Like. 🙂
I am no longer maintaining this blog content. Last update 10th July 2019.
Hello Mirelle Freitas,
Thanks for the comprehensive article.
As I am reading through what written I am also interested with what posted by Mr. Stefan Kraus where there is a functionality to push-upload to cloud data source. Not sure do you have a chance to also explain how that is being used or you have any blog that can be shared regarding the steps and also the restriction for that?
Looking forward for your reply.
Hi Mun Chong.
I really don't have further information about this at the moment. But i know what you are talking about. I am going to check it further since it is very new and I can create an specific post about it.
It will require few more days to gather into it, please remind me here if I take too long.
Hi Mirelle Freitas ,
Not sure you have any updates for me regarding the question asked?
Hi Mirelle Freitas
Hi @Mun Chong Luen ,
Thanks for the reminder.
Yes, I can see an empty Section on Stefan's Blog that will be used to further explain this matter. I tried to gather some additional information, however, it was not possible to go further.
Please refer to Stefan's blog, and if possible let a comment so he can properly guide you.
My apologies for not being able to assist you even further.
Hi Mirelle Freitas ,
Thanks for the information. Stefan Kraus not sure you can help to provide some guide here?