What´s new in IBP Response and Supply 1902 – Order-based Planning
With Release 1902 in IBP for Response and Supply a lot of new features and functions for the order-based planning process were offered.
Highlights in 1902:
- Planning with inventory buffer in order-based planning – Support buffer strategy safety days of supply (SDoS) in confirmation run and constrained forecast run
- Integration Enhancements – Integration of multiple sources into individual planning areas, including the SAP ERP application, SAP S/4HANA, and other SAP and non-SAP software systems; Execution of outbound integration for order-based planning in a single step
Planning with Inventory Buffer:
As of this release, order-based planning offers more options for planning with buffers: In addition to the safety stock, which you could already define in previous releases, you can now define the following stock levels
Supported in OBP Priority based planning heuristic
- Target Stock
- If safety stock is violated do not only fill up to the safety stock level, but to the max. stock level
- Safety Days of Supply
- At the end of the bucked the projected stock should cover the demands of the next n days
- Target Days of Supply
- If safety days of supply is violated do not only fill up to safety days of supply, but to max. days of supply
Supported in OBP Optimizer
- Safety Days of Supply
- At the end of the bucked the projected stock should cover the demands of the next n days
- Max. Stock & max. Days of Supply
- Violation cost in case max. level is violated
- The new application job control parameter Max. Stock Violation Cost Rate serves as a default
Max. / Min. of Two
- If values for both safety level key figures are available, the planning engine uses the bigger safety stock.
- If values for both target level key figures or for both maximum level key figures are available, the planning engine uses the smaller target or maximum stock – unless one of the key figures is NULL or zero.
Behavior of target stock level in OBP priority based planning heuristics
- You can use the target stock as an additional buffer. Once stock falls below the safety stock, it gets replenished not only up to the safety stock level, but up to the target stock level.
- If stock exceeds the target stock level (pre build because of constraints or reduction of target stock level), the system tries to reduce the stock level so that it gets below the target stock level. Once the stock is below the target stock level it does not get reduced further. Especially the system does not consume stock until the safety stock level is reached but stays on the target level.
- Lot sizes might lead to stock level exceeding the target stock.
Corresponding new key figures are included in the SAP7 sample planning area
Settings for Order-Based Planning
- The key figures needs to be assigned in the Settings for Order-based Planning to take effect
Additional demand fulfillment key figures
Key figures for forecast and sales orders fulfillment
Existing key figures for forecast and sales order fulfillment
- “Forecast Constrained” (FORECASTCONSTR) as defined in Order-based settings and
- „Sales Order (Confirmed)“ (SALESORDERCONF) using external key figure „CONFIRMED_SALES_QUANTITY“ of data sources STD_MALO, STD_SFC or STD_SFC_EXT
provide information about the aggregated fulfilled quantities. They do not provide information about the fulfilled quantities in time, late and unfulfilled with respect to the aggregated demand in a certain period.
The new key figures for forecast and sales order fulfillment fill this gap and allow the user to check which quantity of primary demands in a certain period can be fulfilled in time, only late or not at all.
Overview of External Key Figures and Key Figures in Template Planning Area
Fulfillment information provided by Planning Runs
The new key figures for forecast and sales orders fulfillment are offered as external key figures in the data sources STD_MALO, STD_SFC.
Data source STD_SFC_EXT is not supported with IBP 1902.
Fulfillment information for sales orders confirmation are provided by the Confirmation Run (Confirmation Run as Operator) and Deployment Run (Deployment Run as Operator) as a basis for the new sales order fulfillment key figures.
Fulfillment information for forecast fulfillment are provided by the Constrained Forecast Run (Constrained Forecast Run as Operator, Constrained Forecast Run using Optimizer) as a basis for the new forecast fulfillment key figures.
Confirmation Run (Confirmation Run as Operator) and Deployment Run (Deployment Run as Operator) do not write or delete forecast fulfillment information and do not provide corresponding data for the new forecast fulfillment key figures, same as for constraint forecast today.
Definition of external key figures is not version specific.
Specific external key figures for forecast fulfillment are available in case “Multiple Forecast Key Figures” are not activated for the planning version
- e.g. “Forecast Constrained (In Time)” (FORECASTCONSTRINTIME)
Specific external key figures for forecast fulfillment are available per Item Category (PR1 – PR5) in case “Multiple Forecast Key Figures” are activated for the planning version
- e.g. “Forecast Constrained (Late – PR1)” (FORECASTCONSTRLATE1)
It is not recommend to use the same key figure for Forecast and Constraint Forecast in planning versions, one having “Multiple Forecast Key Figures” activated and the other not.
It is not recommended to assign in different planning versions the same key figure for Forecast and Constraint Forecast to different Item Categories.
To ensure existence of planning objects for the planning area and consistency of the fulfillment information the following conditions must be applied
- All key figures for forecast fulfillment must be defined on the same root level (planning levels with the same root attributes)
- All root attributes must be mapped via “Sales Order Field Assignments“ in the Order-based settings to Sales Order Fields.
- All key figures for forecast fulfillment must be defined on the same root level as the key figures for Forecast unconstrained
Planning runs will give a warning in case the conditions are not fulfilled and fulfillment information will not be written.
Anyway, if planning objects are reorganized for the planning area after the planning run, the external key figure data will become incomplete.
Additional attributes in View Projected Stock app
In View Projected Stock app, 22 new location material attributes are available, as filters and as columns in the result set
In this example, in addition to the default filters (Material Number, Location Number, Date Horizon and Status) two out of 22 new attributes have been chosen:
MRP controller and Special Procurement Key
Via „View Settings“ more columns can be displayed and the same 22 attributes are now available in addition to the already available attribute
Multiple Source support within Order-Based Planning
With 1902, multiple integration profiles can be defined within order-based planning. Each integration profile allows for an individual data integration into an own operative order-based planning version. The integration profile itself can be assigned to an individual planning area and to individual external master data types and by this relates the order-based planning version to these entities.
With this, certain integration scenarios can be defined and implemented, for example:
- Integration from a productive ERP system to a productive planning area and, in parallel, a second integration from a test ERP system to a test planning area
- Integration of a ERP system A to a productive planning area PA_A and, in parallel, a second integration of a second ERP system B to a different productive planning area PA_B
Not in scope is in 1902 the integration of multiple sources into the same operative order-based planning version. This is planned for future releases.
New Fiori App ‘Integration Profile’:
The individual integration profiles can be defined with the help of the new Fiori app ‘Integration Profiles’.
The integration profile defines the relation between the external logical system (source) and the IBP internal model entities.
The operative planning area base version will be related one-to-one to the operative order-based planning version created for the integration profile.
Enhancement of the remote source
The remote source definition is enhanced with the logical system to define the original source of data.
With the definition of the logical system and the relation of the logical system to an integration profile, data integration jobs using a specific remote source can process the data to the related operative order-based planning version.
Setup of master data types
External master data types must be linked to the integration profile from 1902 on.
With the relation to the integration profile, the external data source will know at runtime from which operative order-based planning version master data is to be read
Setup of planning area
A planning area using external master data types or external key figure data sources must be linked to the integration profile from 1902 on.
With the relation to the integration profile, the external data sources used within the planning area will know at runtime from which order-based planning version transactional data is be read.
The integration profile defined in the external master data types used for the planning area must match the integration profile defined for the planning area.
Copy a sample model
To setup a new planning area and master data types for a new integration profile, the sample SAP7 can be copied
After copying the planning area and master data types, the used integration profile must be replaced within the individual entities
Setting up order-based planning
To make use of a planning area for order-based planning, the planning area must be included in the order-based settings.
For one integration profile, only one planning area can be defined as operative planning area. By this the operative order-based planning version defined for the integration profile will be the order-based planning version for the base version of the operative planning area.
Visibility of master data
Since multiple integration profiles can be defined, master data integrated is stored in different order-based planning versions. To allow for selection, a version selector is introduced in the master data Fiori applications.
Master data in order-based planning can also be defined version-specifically. Hence all order-based planning versions are offered in the value selector.
Visibility of transactional data
The version toolbar is introduced as default in the Fiori apps for transactional order-based planning data.
With this, also ‚Open In‘ navigation is enabled for all order-based planning versions from 1902 on.
To change to a different order-based planning version, the Fiori application ‚Manage Version and Scenarios‘ can be used.
External configuration data in OBP
External configuration data of OBP (for example Delivery Priority, Mode of Transport or a Factory Calendar definition) coming from different source system will be handled in upsert mode. A integration specific handling is not introduced in 1902. This means that data can be overwritten when received from a different source system before. This is to be considered when setting up the different integration scenarios.
Integration of IBP results into SAP S/4HANA and SAP ERP
- The execution of outbound integration for order-based planning can be done in a single step
- During IBP outbound integration, the supply proposals and the sales order confirmation proposals are created directly in the connected SAP ERP application or SAP S/4HANA software system
- No need to schedule a separate job in SAP ERP to create supply proposals and sales order confirmations
- Scheduling of inbound integration and outbound integration in a common place (application jobs in the SAP Integrated Business Planning solution)
- Ability to schedule planning and integration in one job chain
- The creation of the supply proposals and the sales order confirmations integrated from IBP can be parallelized in SAP S/4HANA and SAP ERP. The parallelization of this job decreases significantly the runtime in SAP S/4HANA and SAP ERP
- The setup of the parallelization is done through the customizing of SAP S/4HANA and SAP ERP Customizing → Integration with Other SAP Components → Integrated Business Planning→ Adjust Parallel Processing
- The planning results of SAP IBP order-based planning are integrated back to SAP S/4HANA using the application job “Data Integration using SAP HANA SDI (Outbound)”.
- The integration can be executed in one or two steps according to the setting of the parameter “Disable Auto Order Processing”:
- “ “ (Default): Integration in one step – direct update of the orders in SAP
- “X”: Integration in two steps – Separate job in SAP S/4HANA and SAP ERP must be scheduled
Find additional information for all topics in the help documentation
Please also have a look at this small video about an order-based planning scenario (9:12min), this will shortly also be available on youtube.